<

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Midfielder or in deNile?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Marjorie, Aug 18, 2020.

1. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

Wonder if he gets some minutes as a ‘6’ this season given he’s obviously worked his way back into Arteta’s affections.

Would prefer him getting minutes there than Elneny.

2. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Ex-Arsenal Fan

He'll never be a midfielder, no one has played him there. It's a myth like Auba up front or Luiz in the midfield.

lazyfreak likes this.
  3. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

Don’t think that’s strictly true. Remember Wenger playing him there at United away (where he had a great game), and (while it’s not the same thing) he often moves into a midfield role in this formation under Arteta.

Agree that managers don’t seem to favour him there for whatever reason, so it doesn’t seem likely. But I’m just querying whether he might get a run out there this season if we don’t get Partey. Arteta clearly rates him, he wants to play there, and we don’t need him at FB as much anymore given recent signings.

SingmeasongSong, Pyres7 and celestis like this.
  4. AbouCuéllar

AbouCuéllar Well-Known Member

Agreed but Auba at CF a myth you say?!

Definitely not, even played there sometimes under Emery, aside from his two seasons there for Dortmund under Tuchel.

Hopefully today is the start of Arteta transitioning more into seeing him centrally, I'm sure that's part of Arteta's long-term plans as was suggested in media outlets this summer.

5. AberGooner

AberGooner Well-Known Member

6. drippin

drippin Well-Known Member

Just what I thought could happen, Arteta convincing AMN that the wingback role for him can be like a midfielder. :drool:

AberGooner likes this.
  7. PressResistance

PressResistance Well-Known Member

It isn't baffling, it was a rimjob given to Kia by his b-u-m boys Raul and Vinai. Turned a perfectly reasonable loan for depth into a long commitment to a player we can replace with an average player at his position in the Championship.

Fuming at his, Mari's and Luiz's transfer, could have had Aouar and two decent players in.

8. Troopz

Troopz Established Member

Good stuff.

Love the fact we’ve got two players now in AMN and Partey with PnP. I think teams are going to find it even harder to get past us with the 3-4-3 formation now as both players are excellent at recovery.

AberGooner likes this.
  9. krackpot

krackpot Established Member Trusted

silently racking up the games for England and AFC.

Love to see it.

Vanfrothan likes this.
  10. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

Auba as CF a "myth" :lol::lol: - his kost profilic position, the one where he got topscorer and got signed by us for more than 60m, but okay

Impact likes this.
  11. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Ex-Arsenal Fan

Ok but that's no relevant to Arsenal where every manager played him on the left. I swear some of you just have no comprehension skills lool.

12. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

He started in the middle here too and did very well.

The issue you and some others are missing, is that we just don't have enough equality on the wings ever since Wenger left and Arteta as well as Emery were/are forced to compensate for an imbalanced squad.

Auba has been put to the LW by Emery and later on by Arteta because they did not trust our other options there and the importance for that position in their ways to play is paramount.

Auba never became a LW at Arsenal football club because he is best there, but because we did buy two CFs for big money and completely screwed our squad balance and did not plan properly for all positions in terms of quality.

13. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

I do wonder if AMN can develop as a box to box midfielder. He has a lot of attributes. I wouldn't mind a player like Todd Cantwell in the squad, but AMN can probably do the same job.

Glad that he's staying particularly as his sale wasn't key to getting Partey.

14. drippin

drippin Well-Known Member

I think AMN could work in midfield, just needs much more consistency in his passing. Sometimes he has amazing games, only to in next one screw up a few very easy passes. That's not acceptable especially in midfield.

truth_hurts likes this.
  15. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

Agree, his passing can be sloppy, but the way he works to get the ball back as long as he isn’t playing at the pivot, he has more positive attributes than negative.

drippin likes this.
  16. Macho

Macho Not Here For The Athletic's BS Trusted

Can’t ever see him in midfield for us tbh. Wolves was his opportunity to do that and even then, they were signing him as a wingback.

As much as I like him, his passing is a bit too sloppy. 1v1 defending is his USP, he’s a natural. If he wants to play at the highest level, he needs to embrace the fullback/wingback roles.

Just wished he had done it sooner before Cedric.

Gooner1988TK likes this.
  17. Red London

Red London Anti-Simp Culture Trusted

Wenger played AMN at CM in a few EL and PL games but then had to fill in at full back due to injuries.

Rafael Benitez played David Luiz and it was actually a decent success, my Chelsea friend said he liked him there. And lastly how are you counting Auba? I assume you mean under Arteta but the guy being a striker is far from a myth he has played there for most of his career.

Saying all this I think AMN will be utilised in a James Milner fashion, he can fill in at both full backs, wide and CM if you really need him to. Saka on the other hand has the ability to play in the midfield or front 3.

18. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

Tbh, he more or less plays as a CM from LWB. Now that we have Partey, I wonder if he could be one of the pivot partner. I always believed AMN would end up in midfield, his pace is too good to put to use at this moment. He really reminds me of an early Partey in a way. Played out in RB and even out wide and it wasn’t till he reached 24/25 was he considered a full time midfielder. So who knows maybe AMN will follow suit.

Saka
    Partey-AMN
    I wouldn’t mind seeing that once. Lots of power, technical skills and mobility.

Impact likes this.
  19. Football Manager

Football Manager Copy & Paste Merchant

I don’t see any stand out attribute in him. Central midfielder is the last outfield position that required pace.
    If he has good pace then he is more suitable to be a winger or a wingback.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  20. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I’m saying because he has pace, they’re more likely gonna use him out wide where it’s more effective but I think when he gets older and slows down, I can see him being converted into a CM

Football Manager likes this.