• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
times moves fast really didn't know he already 24 in 2 months. hopefully he find good club this summer his time here is done.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Can we please just sack Edu or move him away, and get someone who actually has some ****ing experience dealing with these things?

I’m so sick of hearing new stupid things we are doing which aren’t regulated by anyone upstairs. I guarantee you this that a lot of rookie managers would be making weird decisions like this. It’s the structure which is meant to dictate what he does and how he acts.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Can we please just sack Edu or move him away, and get someone who actually has some ****ing experience dealing with these things?

I’m so sick of hearing new stupid things we are doing which aren’t regulated by anyone upstairs. I guarantee you this that a lot of rookie managers would be making weird decisions like this. It’s the structure which is meant to dictate what he does and how he acts.
There is a guy who responsible about players on loan also AMN has an agent if there problem his agent should contact the club at the moment everyone in holiday now so i guess the earliest he can talk with edu and Arteta is late June.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
When we talked about selling for 20M last summer everyone cried because he had few good months and called for england now we'd be lucky getting 15M max for him. but that not his fault it's Arteta fault that convinced him to stay and not trusted him much

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
When we talked about selling for 20M last summer everyone cried because he had few good months and called for england now we'd be lucky getting 15M max for him. but that not his fault it's Arteta fault that convinced him to stay and not trusted him much
AMN seemed to lose interest at playing fullback again. It’s time to say goodbye now unless he comes begging to play RB.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
The Arsenal midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles wants Mikel Arteta to commit to giving him a first team future at the club or sanction the sale of the England international, and he would like the decision to come now rather than the gritty endgame of the transfer window.

In a wide-ranging interview, the academy graduate, who joined the Hale End centre at the age of five, calls upon Arsenal to give him “clarity” on his future and concedes that it may be time to “kiss goodbye” to the club of his life. Having spent the second part of the season as a regular at West Bromwich Albion, with the aim of keeping his place in the England squad for this month’s European championships, he also expresses his dismay at being overlooked by Gareth Southgate.

Maitland-Niles, 24 in August, finds himself in an unusual position with two years remaining on his contract as one of those homegrown players, like Joe Willock, about whom Arteta is yet to make a decision. With major changes to the squad expected as contracts come to an end, inward loanees’ futures have to be decided. Four first team squad members, including Maitland-Niles, return from loan and his concern is that the club will drag their feet over a decision.

Speaking on a Zoom call from his home, Maitland-Niles says there has been no contact yet from Arteta, or technical director Edu, the Brazilian who is in charge of recruitment for the Kroenke ownership. Maitland-Niles has remained in the country since the end of the Premier League season with West Brom and has continued working on his fitness with a trainer, as he has done for the last four summers. He is cautiously hopeful of a meeting soon to discuss the future.

“If I was to get a phone call from someone at Arsenal and they said they’d like a meeting tomorrow, then it would be easier that way,” he says. “They can tell me whether they’ve got plans to play me in the future or if they want to sell me. I’ve heard they want to make some space [in the squad] and some money so I’m not sure.”

He adds that there has been some contact from the club’s medical department to establish a summer training programme, but no indication as to where he stands in the long-term having been a key figure in the FA Cup triumph of the 2019-2020 season.

Maitland-Niles says: “I want a decision. I want some clarity. And then hopefully I can get to work with whoever I need to get to work with. Whether that is finding a new club or whether that is carrying on with my training. I would like some kind of indication of what is happening. Where they [Arsenal] see me. If it works out it works out, if it doesn’t then kiss Arsenal goodbye. It’s been a long journey but a proud one at that. Maybe they still want to do something and things could change. If not, there’s always other teams. It would be easier to do it now than waiting for pre-season to kick in and everything is super busy. And they can’t answer their phones because they are doing too much work. You know how the football world works.”

From a Wembley winner in the semi-final and final of the FA Cup to five caps in the Autumn for Southgate, Maitland-Niles says that he found it hard to accept how quickly his place at Arsenal, and then England, was taken away from him. He made his senior debut against Denmark in September and four more caps swiftly followed in October and November. Yet by Christmas he was principally starting just Europa League games at Arsenal as well as the League Cup defeat to Manchester City.

“It was a difficult one for me to swallow,” he says, “because the back end of last season, I put in a couple of performances in the cup, in the final, then after that break we had another final [Community Shield] which led to my England call-up not too long after that. Then a couple of months after that, it all died down, I wasn’t playing anymore … so it was strange, very strange.

“I went from having everything at my feet to everything taken away from me. I was trying to understand it on my own. But sometimes it’s not for me to understand, it’s for me to keep working hard, to keep doing what I do and I have to let other people understand it for me.

“It was difficult to take. You get called up for England, play regular football for your club, get to an England camp then it all disappears and you’re not playing for either. You don’t really get any contact from either manager, from international stage or club. I was thinking: ‘What you want me to do now? What am I supposed to do now?’”

He is philosophical about the difficult decisions facing Southgate in picking his squad. He notes that the England manager had said that he wants goalscoring midfielders, a part of Maitland-Niles’ game that, he acknowledges, is yet to flourish. He points out that others in his favoured position have been playing there consistently longer than him.

“I am not going to put that on Gareth saying ‘I need midfielders who score goals’ as the reason he didn’t pick me. He just felt he needed more goals in the team to help him win the Euros which is what he went and did. I think the squad he picked is still a great team that can do great things. I was gutted when I didn’t get picked. That was the whole reason for me going out on loan. To not even make the 33-man squad was … ‘Okay let’s start from square one again. Let's go back to the drawing board and see what the plan is for the next World Cup.’ It did hurt but at the end of the day I went out there and gave it my all.”

The question of Maitland-Niles’ best position has been a thorny one his whole senior career, and it is in central midfield where he sees himself ultimately. Having said that, he embraces his versatility at full-back. He also points out that Sam Allardyce would often use him in wide positions in the latter stages of games.
He wants to hear how Arteta sees his future – and he will not be alone. Willock will also want to know the same. Fellow academy graduate Eddie Nketiah has a single year left on his existing deal. So too Alexandre Lacazette. Mattéo Guendouzi and Lucas Torreira return from their loans and Dani Ceballos and Martin Ødegaard head back to Real Madrid.

There is also doubt over the future of others, including Hector Bellerin, which naturally makes Maitland-Niles wonder how long it might take to resolve his own situation.

“You have to get your head around what you might not want to hear and be prepared if that’s the case,” he says. “Be a man about the situation. If it’s not going to work there then there’s always other clubs that will take you and I like to think that I’ve done enough in the Premier League in the last half of the season to have other clubs interested in me.”

kash2

There is a guy who responsible about players on loan also AMN has an agent if there problem his agent should contact the club at the moment everyone in holiday now so i guess the earliest he can talk with edu and Arteta is late June.
you really protective of Edu eh. Nice to see someone is.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
AMN seemed to lose interest at playing fullback again. It’s time to say goodbye now unless he comes begging to play RB.
he is 24 it's not his choice what position he like he should have stayed as RB and develop. CM is complicated for him but he could still has chance in championship. i just don't know what he want look like OX we don't know what his best position.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
you really protective of Edu eh. Nice to see someone is.
not really i can't call someone without knowing the truth i liked Raul too but changed my opinion when i knew the truth about what he doing. it's not nice called out someone without knowing what going on behind the scene

kash2

not really i can't call someone without knowing the truth i liked Raul too but changed my opinion when i knew the truth about what he doing. it's not nice called out someone without knowing what going on behind the scene
but not even one phone call to a player who has been at arsenal for 15+ years whom they plan to sell for 15M?

roz

Fake News Merchant
Commit to RB and stay, if that’s not what AMN wants to do best to move on for both parties. Not good enough to play CM in the premier league.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

This bit is actually very strange, since Arteta said he was in constant contact with our Loans guy when it came to Saliba. Wonder if Mik was not being completely truthful there?

Either way, it's not a good look for the club leaving a player out to dry like that and it does not augur well for our other loanees, maybe bar Willock. Our loans have had issues the past few years and is something that we need to do better as a club overall.

Would love your take on this @MutableEarth
More and more if Mik's behaviour reminds me of Michael Scott in The Office.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Genuinely curious as to what Edu does day to day for his job.

Someone joked about him not working weekends but It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Do we have a plan? Did we have a plan last season? Doesn’t seem like it.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I like AMN but he doesn't have any real stand out attributes. Thought he was going to develop into a really good fullback at one point but it never really happened. £15m would be a good deal all round for another club and I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Another I'd be really sad to see go but if he ain't going to get games we have to sell him with 2 years on his deal.

This time last year he was playing brilliantly and had really nailed his place in the starting line up with his performances, that was the whole reason we turned down those offers for him. Again he started this season past really well too, who knows what happened behind the scenes for him to stop getting picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom