• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Yutility

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The sloppy passes and occasional positional lapses in particular.
This happens smack bam in the middle of him having a great game. Goes well and he looks great and then boom, brainfart moment.... Generally bounces back really well during the game though which is a very good sign.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This happens smack bam in the middle of him having a great game. Goes well and he looks great and then boom, brainfart moment.... Generally bounces back really well during the game though which is a very good sign.
Since his full time switch to central midfield after coming back from Ipswich, this has been a feature. Saw many U23 games where he would look great for 85 minutes then have an accumulated 5 mins worth of terrible play that threatens to undo his good work. It is his composed nature that somewhat counts against him at times - something that will hopefully diminish once he learns to pace himself better.

It's worth noting that Jeorge Bird still thinks his best position is right wing and wants to see him played there for the first team. It was his original position when he became a scholar. I think that ship has sailed and his game as a young pro is pretty much predicated on being a central midfield player. Wenger himself sees him as a sort of roaming ball-winner in the way that Coquelin was, but I think AMN's game is a lot more well-rounded in the sense he can do that and more. We have not see how good AMN can be yet, there is more to come, potentially a lot more.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yes, for sure at 20 he has a lot of things to iron out. I guess it's just the perennial question with young players: do you play them instead of recruiting someone and suffer the inevitable shortcomings of inexperience, or do you recruit someone and magically hope it doesn't impede their development.

There are a number of so-called defensive b-2-b players out there that I really like, Denis Zakaria, Kondogbia, Ndombele, Doucoure etc. AMN is not performing at their level right now, but will he ever be if they're brought in and keep him out of the first team?
For your first question, it depends on your aims as a club, your strategy moving forward. Arsenal, ever the avant-garde, seek to build a dynasty in the way that Ajax and Barcelona have done in having an academy that produces the bulk of the squad. This is the dream scenario for them. We have some work to do in this area, despite the talent we have in the academy. I think the philosophy would be to nurture and develop who we currently have, unless there is an opportunity that would be foolish to turn down.

For the second, I feel that signing any one of those guys would eventually push a number of promising midfielders - including AMN - out of the picture. AMN will likely end up a full-back who can play in other positions, while the likes of Willock, DaSilva and others will end up leaving a la McGuane citing lack of opportunity. Willock was definitely rated by Wenger, but a new manager may not be so hot on him (personally, I think Willock has a lot of upside - although I think Josh DaSilva is currently better).

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
For your first question, it depends on your aims as a club, your strategy moving forward. Arsenal, ever the avant-garde, seek to build a dynasty in the way that Ajax and Barcelona have done in having an academy that produces the bulk of the squad. This is the dream scenario for them. We have some work to do in this area, despite the talent we have in the academy. I think the philosophy would be to nurture and develop who we currently have, unless there is an opportunity that would be foolish to turn down.

For the second, I feel that signing any one of those guys would eventually push a number of promising midfielders - including AMN - out of the picture. AMN will likely end up a full-back who can play in other positions, while the likes of Willock, DaSilva and others will end up leaving a la McGuane citing lack of opportunity. Willock was definitely rated by Wenger, but a new manager may not be so hot on him (personally, I think Willock has a lot of upside - although I think Josh DaSilva is currently better).

It's interesting you mention Barca and Ajax because I was just thinking of the relevance of those clubs for the future of Arsenal, along with Dortmund. There are very few clubs out there renowned for their core values and playing style, and we're very lucky to belong to that group.

Regarding who people want as the new manager, a lot want people like Allegri or even Simeone. For sure when I see us make monumental defensive f*ck ups the urge is strong to just go "f*ck it, bring in a drill sergeant and let's win one nil again". But soberly you have to recognise that the identity we've built up over the last 20 years is a very rare thing and it has value. It's a very dangerous thing to do away with.

A club like Chelsea for example don't have that identity. They have lots of fans in Africa and Asia but they only have them cos they've won lots of trophies, if the trophies were to dry up then they'd be left nothing, no idea to hold it together.

So one thing Arsenal simply cannot do is abandon our commitment to attacking football and our commitment to playing youth, because it defines us. It's what sustains our global brand (and the commercial benefits that go with it) and helps attract players to the club.

This is a tangent from AMN haha, but it's all tied together. Making sure players like AMN are given proper opportunities, along with continuing to play attractive football, isn't just a wishy-washy idea; it's integral to what this club has to do going into the future. So hopefully the rhetoric isn't hollow and the new people in charge are fully committed to that.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
It's interesting you mention Barca and Ajax because I was just thinking of the relevance of those clubs for the future of Arsenal, along with Dortmund. There are very few clubs out there renowned for their core values and playing style, and we're very lucky to belong to that group.

Regarding who people want as the new manager, a lot want people like Allegri or even Simeone. For sure when I see us make monumental defensive f*ck ups the urge is strong to just go "f*ck it, bring in a drill sergeant and let's win one nil again". But soberly you have to recognise that the identity we've built up over the last 20 years is a very rare thing and it has value. It's a very dangerous thing to do away with.

A club like Chelsea for example don't have that identity. They have lots of fans in Africa and Asia but they only have them cos they've won lots of trophies, if the trophies were to dry up then they'd be left nothing, no idea to hold it together.

So one thing Arsenal simply cannot do is abandon our commitment to attacking football and our commitment to playing youth, because it defines us. It's what sustains our global brand (and the commercial benefits that go with it) and helps attract players to the club.

This is a tangent from AMN haha, but it's all tied together. Making sure players like AMN are given proper opportunities, along with continuing to play attractive football, isn't just a wishy-washy idea; it's integral to what this club has to do going into the future. So hopefully the rhetoric isn't hollow and the new people in charge are fully committed to that.

dont underestimate Allegri’s philosophy. he is very verstile and likes attacking football, and even more so: he is good working with young players.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
dont underestimate Allegri’s philosophy. he is very verstile and likes attacking football, and even more so: he is good working with young players.

I'd love to see Allegri here, who wouldn't, but I imagine the club might consider him unaligned with their 'values'. It's a tricky one, I suspect if he were to come he would be very successful for a period of time before questions began to be asked of his playing style and lack of youth prospects. Whatever you say, Allegri will always prioritise winning above all else.

It's reasonable to say "well, surely winning is good, it begets success". But if winning comes at the cost of certain values, then in the long term once the winning stops you have a problem, because you've compromised those values.

Anyway, I doubt whether this club has the financial ambition to satisfy Allegri.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

He clearly doesn't like attacking football. Very boring to watch.

Which young players are you on about?

yybecause

I'd love to see Allegri here, who wouldn't, but I imagine the club might consider him unaligned with their 'values'. It's a tricky one, I suspect if he were to come he would be very successful for a period of time before questions began to be asked of his playing style and lack of youth prospects. Whatever you say, Allegri will always prioritise winning above all else.

It's reasonable to say "well, surely winning is good, it begets success". But if winning comes at the cost of certain values, then in the long term once the winning stops you have a problem, because you've compromised those values.

Anyway, I doubt whether this club has the financial ambition to satisfy Allegri.

I completely agree with you. only difference being; I think Allegri is much more then just winning. as I said, he is verstile, likes giving chances to young players and wants his teams to attack, have the ball. think Niles would benefit the most under him.
then again, he aint my no.1 pick nor do I have one, but I see lots of posters misjudging Allegri’s style

back to Maitland. I love 3 man midfields as it gives you so many options and combinations. Niles certainly has all the tools to succeed there, but, he could be brilliant in a 2 man midfield, or as a RM in a classic 442. its gonna be interesting to see our new coach formation/s, and where would Niles fit in the best. as such verstile player and question mark over our style and formation next season, ee cant really make a call on where he should play.

yybecause

He clearly doesn't like attacking football. Very boring to watch.

Which young players are you on about?
Its boring cause, as I said, he is verstile, and adopted to Juve style which is all about (and always was) keeping a clean sheet and scoring one. if you followed hom before Juve, he was always an attack minded coach, always giving chances to youth and sticking with them. its just the Juve years that people see and make conclusions.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This guy is one of the most composed players for his age I've ever seen. I'm not saying hes one of the best passers or dribblers but composure is a trait usually held by very experienced and seasoned players.

AMN is 20 and has this ability. If he can just develop his passing ability he could be a fantastic box to box player. He's still raw to an extent in terms of that and his 1v1 defending/positioning

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I completely agree with you. only difference being; I think Allegri is much more then just winning. as I said, he is verstile, likes giving chances to young players and wants his teams to attack, have the ball. think Niles would benefit the most under him.
then again, he aint my no.1 pick nor do I have one, but I see lots of posters misjudging Allegri’s style

back to Maitland. I love 3 man midfields as it gives you so many options and combinations. Niles certainly has all the tools to succeed there, but, he could be brilliant in a 2 man midfield, or as a RM in a classic 442. its gonna be interesting to see our new coach formation/s, and where would Niles fit in the best. as such verstile player and question mark over our style and formation next season, ee cant really make a call on where he should play.
Yes for two seasons now iv been desperate for Allegri to become our manager. Its almost as if the stars are aligning. He surely wants a new challenge by now having failed to win the CL twice with Juve . Perfect timing now Wenger is leaving. The only question is if we will give him what he wants. No manager with a pedigree like his is going to come to us if we are offering peanuts in terms of his transfer kitty.

And to people saying his style isnt exactly Arsenal DNA... well in my opinion as someone who used to always be in love with our style of play (from the invincible days to the fabregas/nasri era) we are now actually one of the worst top teams to watch in terms of how "sexy" our play is. We showed it vs Athleti in the first half and it almost gave me an aneurysm from shock because i forgot we even do that anymore.

I dont think now is a time for fussyness about playstyle, whether people like Wenger or not he was a pioneer to the English game and if he had such an effect on the entire league then there's no doubt how much he has effected our club with his style of play, training techniques and approach to management. We need to let go of that now and look to the future. No hipster manager or assistant manager is going to come in and gather as much respect from these players set in their ways as much as people like Allegri and thats what we need now... United acted as the test dummy for us so we dont make the same mistake

We need a transitional manager.. one who attracts names and attracts respect from the dressing room.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Very up and down game.

Parts where he was really impressive and other parts where he looked lost.

But he was excellent for the goal. People seem to really like him in that RB position.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Very up and down game.

Parts where he was really impressive and other parts where he looked lost.
Story of his Arsenal career so far... It's those moments where he does well that convince you there's a really good player in the there, because the moments are so impressive, and you must have a lot to offer if you can do that at his age. Consistency in a defined role is the next step.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Consistency in a defined role is the next step.
How often have we seen a lack of this for young players coming through. He's lucky in this regard that Wenger is on his way out.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
He's 20 years old, obviously he's going to be inconsistent. Liverpool fans know that Trent Alexander-Arnold is gonna be inconsistent but they still bloody love him and back him no matter what. We should do the same.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Not suprisingly given our lack of manegerial organization and team cohesion.

People think a team like barca are all freeflowing but Pep drilled them hard

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'd start him in midfield next season, there's no more learning he needs to do. The only way he gets better now is if he plays regularly, this lad could be a beast in midfield in a years time, either play him or loan him out where he'll play - be ridiculous if that has to happen though.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I liked his performance last night. He was very willing to make some runs and his assist was that of determination to go through in the box.
He also has ability to dribble in tight spaces, however his final decision making still needs some work.
Hopefully the new manager sees him as a utility player for DM and RW/RB but I believe his ideal position is still as a backup DM, considering that we sign an actual DM in first place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom