Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Yutility

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Jan 28, 2017.

1. DasBootist

DasBootist Well-Known Member

Post of the year

2. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

If he's shyte in the next performance then No! Hot and Luke warm would be ok but he goes from one extreme to the other!

PS I said after the Everton game he should be sold ASAP.

samshere likes this.
  3. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

Which is in a way a good thing because we know he has what it takes talent wise, maybe more patience and maturity will be needed with him compared to some other players.
    I think he needs 5 quality games in a row to feel confident about everything, but he can't get to that point.
    I'm not sure he is worth selling, price could be low and he could be used as a backup on a low salary. The problem is that Bellerin will come back and AMN didn't impress enough to be in a competition for CM position next year where your passing needs to be much better than his.

tap-in likes this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

We look so much more defensively solid now that AMN is at RB compared to when Bellerin was playing.

5. blaise

blaise Well-Known Member

Still inconsistent but from United game I d say he has proven he can be a back-up RB, plus he is cheap and homegrown. For something more in RB or CM we ll have to wait and see. Also Bellerin is basically one of the first names on the team sheet here so not sure how we can bring someone much better than AMN without breaking the bank and then you ve wasted your much needed funds for more urgent positions.

6. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

Yeah I'm sure maturity is a factor. We will only sell if a decent offer came in and/or we have our sights on a RB equal to or better than Bellerin.

7. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

I think the opposite.

Bellerin provides better cover, if only because of his pace.

AMN hasn't convinced me as a defender but he is superb further up the pitch.

8. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Its only now he is getting consistent ampunt of games in row. I will wait and see how he adapts but I think Emery will want to keep him next season.

9. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

Got disagree there, just look the amount of cleansheets and the very few amount of goals we are conceding at home of late.

10. krackpot

yeah, but AMN makes casual mistakes which bellerin does not.

It is moot because they are both suspect defensively and probably only suited as wing backs.

11. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

He was great last night. Such a frustrating player, Hekyll and Jyde.

Wish he'd be given a go at CM, he has attributes we lack.

12. benjamin86

benjamin86 Well-Known Member

Bellerin made plenty of mistakes in previous seasons?

13. krackpot

yup, but he can recover.

14. benjamin86

benjamin86 Well-Known Member

Multiple occasions he didn't, Bellerin at 21 was comparable to Maitland-Niles now.

I'm hoping both players push each other for a start and Niles gets some league cup and fa cup games to show what he can do at CM.

krackpot and DasBootist like this.
  15. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

Is it it just me or does AMN only show up for games of greater import?

American_Gooner likes this.
  16. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Seems so. Most of his poor games have come in games of smaller significance. Seems like a motivation problem to me.

17. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

It's a good problem to have.

Prefer this to the converse.

MutableEarth likes this.
  18. MutableEarth

I suppose. Big game players are definitely a premium to have in a squad - United are proof of that in years gone by. What'll be important is whether his base level improves beyond this season - I'm more than happy for this to be a running theme with AMN if he can have better games when the stakes aren't so high. Oscillating from his top performances to games like v Everton away is too big a performance gap IMO.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  19. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

This is his first 'big' run in with the team though, so he should get some patience until he adapts to the intensity. If he can get used to it and perform to high level like against Napoli then we have player here. If he fails it will be a bit uphill battle for him from then.

20. MutableEarth

The big thing for me is intensity. AMN when he plays at a fast tempo is 100x better than uber-relaxed AMN. He still has the composure, but he's also playing the game at a pace the opposition find difficult to deal with. When he's switched on, he can do anything. The game against United and the game last night are just 2 big examples of what he can be like when he's focused, and playing with intensity at the right moments in the game, then he'll be more than fine.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.