• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alan Hansen's column

kel varnsen

Established Member
he does have a point, but i believe wenger to think that if we just pass the ball with enough precision and pace, it doesn't matter if the opposition knows our style or not. we'll break them down no matter what and i agree, at least to some extent. in our best moments, we have destroyed just about anyone out there and it is both effecient and estethic.

we should definately continue to develop our current style, but maybe bring in one or two players that could give us something a little bit different. maybe a forward like torres who is extremely good inside the box. or a right winger very different to ljungberg; someone who can beat his man and cross the ball...

Ratinho

Established Member
He makes fair points, and I think it is down to Wenger's choices in the market that will dictate whether we can change our approach.

If he chooses to spend big on someopne, like we've all mentioned, Torres then it immediately opens up another option in our play.

The reason our 'plan A' as we love to put it, has become stale is not simpply down to the style, but the lack of change within the actual playing staff. Hleb settling in, a Torres/Oliveira up front, and a new driving force and who's to say that we aren't up and running again?

Wenger has tough choices to make, on and off the pitch. But the toughest of all is in the market in the next 10 months.

And tbh, that 'plan A' with a full side now will still beat most, but I agree with the majority on here in the longer term. most isn't enough, when they have told us about the resources available.

polaris sc

that would be great, the only player i think of who can do that is Joaquin, but i dont think would be able to get him because of the price his club is looking for him would be to big

Gurgen

Established Member
Ballack and Torres could really make us complete, they'd offer both excellent technique and passing and an aerial presence.
Unfortunately the former will never come here and the latter is very very expensive.

EJub

I didn't expect ol Alan to give Arsenal that much respect.

We all agree that Arsenal needs to score of the ugly or "working man's" goals.
Too much passing near the box without a shot can frustrate fans.

One thing I keep thinking about
Lampard blasts 10 shots off target each game from outside the box - but he is remembered for the 1 that beats the keeper. Lampard is not quite as special as he is made out to be - I think Arsenal have players who can wind up and pop one in from time to time. We may need some of that Davor Suker blend of a little goal greed and skill.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
He is pointing out someting that we have been doing for the past 9 years and have been successful at. So the talk of NO PLAN B is just BS because you look at our goal scoring record..we are above any other team with plan A, B and C. The only new change is we do lack experienced players to execute our "one and only plan A".

Am not suggesting we can not use a different plan..but just that that is not the reason for our failings. And I hate it when he keeps on going back to the FA game..sh* how many times have we outplayed teams and lost..but one time one time we got outlplayed by Manure and everyone uses that as EXHIBIT A.

A

Anonymous

The point is not about goal scoring record, it's about when.

It's about scoring when it matters, against the biggest teams.

we might smack Charlton 4-1. But when we play the biggest teams, we can't reproduce that, and then since we only have one avenue of attack it is actually hard to find different ways of putting the ball in the back of the net.

Ziontrain

Looks like Alan (or his ghostwriter) had to fill up a lot of space, so I dont agree with all in the article, but this here I cannot empasise enough:
They don't stretch teams. As a defender, let me tell you that your biggest fear is when you don't know where an attack is coming from. If you know what's coming, you find it far easier to cope with

He's 100% right. If you'r going to play a passing game you need to offe speed+creation with ball at feet on both touchlines. Otherwise, you aint breaking doen a packed defense.

Even then they could chose to sit back, so you still need the aerial option. in tha sense its not any differernt tha American football: you cant run the ball ALL the time, you gotta mix it up.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Ziontrain said:
Even then they could chose to sit back, so you still need the aerial option. in tha sense its not any differernt tha American football: you cant run the ball ALL the time, you gotta mix it up.

Good analogy with American football. But show me a team that excells in the running game and is very very strong in the air. Mixing it up is necessary and we do try. We just SUCK!!!!! Just like a good running team that has to change and play a passing game!!! Am pretty sure they do work on it the passing game but they most likely will not be as effective.

We do cross but we are poor with those crosses and unlike American football we can not easily swap the entire team(running offense or passing offense) back and forth on each play and even if we could we don't have the players to effectively implement PLAN B. That does require $$$ to purchase those type of players.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Kha0z said:
The point is not about goal scoring record, it's about when.

It's about scoring when it matters, against the biggest teams.

So you are suggesting the big teams score on us when it matters and we don't? Look at goals we have conceded to those big teams. Were they conceded due to their superior tactics(plan B) or sometimes our own individual mistakes?? The reality is most of the big teams we play with their defense is very solid with talent, quality and experience and they play a less offensive game than us..therefor they are less vulnerable at the back. We have not been curved open with those teams with PLAN B..any goals we gave out were individual mistakes. So how does that translate to their PLAN B being the difference?

All this plan B talk is nonsense. It has taken goals from set pieces and crosses to save us from more embarresing results this season because our open play has not been up to scratch.

qs

Established Member
Alan Hansen hasnt an original idea in his head. People have been saying all that since last Christmas. Its all been said before. Hansens a hack and talks pure ****e on MOTD. A poor mans Andy Gray.(Poor people cant afford Sky you see)

nidza7

Established Member
I hold the point that Alan Hansen is one ****in` **** that spend all his time bashing Arsenal,and this particular article have some sence a last.

Army of Me

Established Member
qs said:
Alan Hansen hasnt an original idea in his head. People have been saying all that since last Christmas. Its all been said before. Hansens a hack and talks pure s***e on MOTD. A poor mans Andy Gray.(Poor people cant afford Sky you see)

since last christmas? people have been saying this for years, it just so happens that hansen's got some time in between sucking cocks down at stamford bridge to come out and say something about it.

the mans a ****, i hate him, i care not if he's a scottish legend, the mans a total **** who i rate only ever so slightly higher than teddy tosspot sheringham who itv2 insist on getting in to their champs league punditry whenever we play.

chandraraj

i totally disagree with alan. he is just trying to prove that arsenal is a one dimensional and he is correct all the time about his analysis on arsenal. this 'one dimensional' football has ripped apart teams in the past, providing jaw-dropping performances. in epl we were simply amazing in the last couple of years. so much so there was a kind of hatred against us.

the question, why we are not so now, is another matter altogether. chelski, boro or wba were able to beat us not because we are passing the ball too much or the opponents are able to predict our style of play. and to mention plan b is also laughable. alan hansen is just an idiot.

our problem now is, first we are badly hit by injuries and secondly we do not have quality cover. with paddy gone, pires and bergkamp 'slowing' down, (not to mention injuries to henry, sol and ljungberg) we do not have the best players to dictate the game to rip apart opponents like before. nowadays we seldom see the defend-splitting passes and arsenal's trade-mark counter attack. let me tell you, if we are at our best, no teams, chelski included, would be able to withstand our tidal-wave attacks.

so, what do alan hansen expect from arsenal? play 5-4-1 and join the rest of the gang making the game boring, so that he could attack arsenal as a copycat? i too played as gk before and the most scary part is not where the ball is coming from. its more of, who is shooting. if i were to face henry or pires (when he was in his element) i would have froze. alan hansen would be chasing ghost!!

i am totally agree with you guys, who think alan is just a mediocre analyst. imo.

jeromelee

I have to say that he makes a valid point. We too have discussed this issue to death already. Arsenal needs to have a different game plan to suit different playing styles. Continuously sticking with 1 style alone won't win you all of the games. Everyone now know's how to nullify us. Everyone knows if they put numbers behind the ball, Arsenal become ineffective. Even we know it too. But Wenger hasn't really brought anyone in to provide us with different options in terms of strategy. We really do need a to bring in players that will add other dimensions to our playing style. This passing the ball to death scenario is one we have seen way to often.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom