• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alan Smith

OoDy

http://arsenal.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=880&p=2&stid=8328404

Rumors are circulating that the next target for Le Boss when the transfer window opens is an ex Gooner favorite - well, the name is, at least.

Leeds young starlet Alan Smith has been courted for some time by Arsenal and with the England player going at a rock bottom bargain price, Wenger would be able to obtain him within the budget constraints he has.

Smith, a Leeds favorite, is likely to remain with the Elland Road outfit for as long as they can hold on to him - but with massive debts mounting at the Yorkshire Club - they may be forced to sell, and sell quickly.

It is a well known fact that we need an outright striker to partner Thierry - and Le Boss sees Smith as an ideal compliment. The player has a temperament to match the AFC style of play (!) and the chance to play alongside world-class teammates may prove too tempting to Smith.

Peter Reid is struggling to balance the books and his team is propping up the table. The Elland Road Club recently announced record losses last week and are desperate to claw back as much cash as possible in any transfer after seeing terrible deals involving Lee Bowyer and Harry Kewell.

Kyla

he's a neo-Nazi. Considering the ethnic diveristy in our squad, not a good idea. But hey I'm being a bit presumpious here. His discpline is also atrocious. Too much of a short fuse. Actually, he might just fit in ;)

n_henry

Not sure about him....considering Leeds' form right now, I'm thinking "please no, Wenger"....

How old is he?

lewdikris

Established Member
Surely the logic in this rumour is that if we qualify for the next round in Europe, we need a non cup-tied striker. Of whom he's certainly one. I like Smith, he's good, but I have a feeling it would take him a longtime to settle after leaving the club he clearly loves to bits.

jc8gooner

He can't really score that mcuh for a striker which is not a good sign. Will he be sufficient support for titi?

JazzG

Established Member
Smith with the kind of service we could give him would be a quality player. I rate him, he is better than most strikers in the premier league. Also is the scrappy player we need upfront...

onenil

i think getting smith might work. he has passion and fire, which is a lot more then kanu, jeffers or bergkamp are giving

with the service he might get from the pires & co, he might get important goals

however saying that he needs to get rid of his stupid dyed hair before seeing him in a Arsenal shirt

Pikeypete

I reckon Smith might be the answer to our problems. Henry almost certainly wants to drop off, score goals on the break (like no other) and be a provider. When DB10 finally retires (a sad day) I see Titti taking the hole role and having a poacher striker further forward. That striker could well be Smith. Agreed he has a temper but so did Vieira and look where AW has taken him. I liked Fowler but hes well past his best, smith is the next fowler. I for one would welcome him to the greatest team in the EPL.

jc8gooner

You say Smith is the next fowler. Fowler had an absolutely outstanding goals record when he was Smith's age. Fowler got picked regularly for England. Fowler was not a thug. Do you mean that Smith will get fat and move to Man City? ;D :lol:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
onenil said:
i think getting smith might work. he has passion and fire, which is a lot more then kanu, jeffers or bergkamp are giving

with the service he might get from the pires & co, he might get important goals

however saying that he needs to get rid of his stupid dyed hair before seeing him in a Arsenal shirt

He has this commitment because he is a TRUE Leeds supporter as well as a Leeds player. I do not think he will have quite the same for us.

His hair is ok, at least he's got some.

I rate him, but not for us.

JGooner

Let's be clear about this, if we're talking potential (as we are with someone like Eto'o), Alan Smith has it in him to be an absolutely boss striker. He's already better than any of our strikers except for the God in the number 14 shirt, but can you imagine what he could be like under the tutelage of the best man-manager in football? What makes him so exceptional, especially for an English striker, is how rounded his game is. He is fully capable of playing the role of penalty box predator (witness his recent goals against liverpool and us) but, unlike a no-frills target man like Klose (please God no), he combines it with excellent technical ability, aggression, awareness, and intelligence. Don't let his relatively small stature lead you to suspect that he can't hold the ball up - he does it superbly for Leeds, even if it just means winning free kicks.

The Jeffers comparison is ridiculous. Jeffers's reputation is based around his performances in a fairly short period of time a few years back when he did indeed look awesome. But Smith has being doing it for consecutive seasons, including at CL level. Similarly, the Wiltord comparison is obscene, as anyone who has seen Smith control a football will know.

Admittedly, he is not prolific but he has rarely ever played as the main centre forward for leeds. this season, he has been played there and the result is - 4 goals in 10 prem matches so far, in the worst team in the league. You would have to expect that he would be even more prolific in the Arsenal team, providing Wenger plays him as the main centre forward (with henry operating behind him).

Also, the "neo-nazi" slur is more than "presumptuous", it is preposterous. When exactly has he been associated with any racist incident? Ever? In the history of the world?

His on-field indiscipline won't worry Wenger because it is not matched by his off-field conduct, which is scrupulously professional. He takes orders, turns up to training on time, follows dietary rules, and is very reserved on the rare occasions he goes for a night out. In that respect, he is more reliable than someone like Kluivert.

I doubt it will happen, but I am surprised that so many of you are down on the idea.

JGooner

that's what i do on kluivert. sometimes i drool at the prospect of having him alongside henry, but then i have a panic attack about what could happen if he just turns into another kanu - all talent and no application, sucking £40k a week out of the club.

lewdikris

Established Member
I'm with JGooner on this - and it's a travesty he hasn't played more for England. Entirely due to his disciplinary record, which is, admittedly appalling (and i can see the headlines now if he did join us). He is a league ahead of Heskey, better than Vassell (who I also rate) and makes Beattie look like the useless lug that he is.

He's also the ONLY English forward who would remotely suit our game - technically gifted and physically strong.

And Leeds will HAVE to sell him at some point. As a youth team player, he's pure profit, not being signed on some ridiculous hire-purchase agreement like the rest of the catastrophes.

Question is, if Wenger did go for him, would Pennant be part of the deal???

JGooner

yeah, i was just going to mention the england thing. how the hell does this guy not even get into the squad? Owen is obviously a blue chip player and deserves to have a guaranteed starting place. Rooney is potentially world class and probably deserves to partner Owen, at least for the time being. But for Smith to be behind Heskey, Beattie and other mediocrities is insane - one of Eriksson's few selection policies that can definitively be said to be categorically wrong.

It's also true that Leeds will have to sell him. I like the way McKenzie keeps saying "We'll never sell Smith" as if they've got a choice. Leeds have a mountain of short-term debt to pay off and a declining number of assets - Viduka, Robinson and Smith are the only cash cows they have left. Logic would suggest that Ferguson will be at the front of the queue for Smith. He needs a striker, is quite happy to buy English, values passion highly, and must surely realise that Smith is better (or at least more proven) than Defoe.

If Pennant does go as part of a deal, it would - on balance - be worth it, and i say that as one of JP's biggest fans. We would be losing a talented, unproven youngster with a reputedly unprofessional attitude, and gaining a talented, proven youngster with a scrupulously professional attitude. Of course Smith's on-field conduct is mental, but Wenger is more concerned with off-field professionalism (training, diet, personal conduct, etc).

Smith would be a killer signing for us not only because of his age and ability but also - crucially - because of his transfer fee and wages, which are both likely to be affordable. As I said before, I am really sceptical as to whether it will happen, but I would love it to.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom