• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alban Lafont

Malky

Established Member
In hindsight we should have brought Szczesny back and made him our first choice goalie, he was more than ready. Instead we sold him for pennies and now we're gonna have to spend a fortune chasing someone of a similar quality.
I do agree but I'm sure there was a quote from Szczesny last summer saying he wouldn't return if Wenger remained in charge as they were not on good terms.
Makes sense why he would leave when he was clearly upset at doing so, and why we sold our best keeper for such a low fee.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I do agree but I'm sure there was a quote from Szczesny last summer saying he wouldn't return if Wenger remained in charge as they were not on good terms.
Makes sense why he would leave when he was clearly upset at doing so, and why we sold our best keeper for such a low fee.

Yeah I think there must have been a serious breakdown in relations. Still, it's a real shame. Szczesny cared about Arsenal and he's developed into a top goalie.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I don't know how a 19 year old will do against PL defenders during set pieces. Also he looks very lightweight, I like my goalies to be more imposing.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't know how a 19 year old will do against PL defenders during set pieces. Also he looks very lightweight, I like my goalies to be more imposing.
I know what you mean. Looks like he’s not much lighter than De Gea though.
http://www.espnfc.com/player/108482/david-de-gea
http://www.espnfc.com/player/231282/alban-lafont

Then again you get various weight listings on whoscored and other places. To be honest I haven’t seen LaFont at all. Does he command his penalty box, for those that have seen him?

Preacher

Always Crying
Too young to be first choice GK in the club like Arsenal and we need someone who would replace Cech as starting GK.

Stannis

I know this is not a Horn thread, but these matters are mutually linked

For those that know or have seen him, how is Timo Horn? What is his ceiling ( IE is he a potential top 10 keeper in the world)?

Just doing a bit of t snooping there appears to be quite a few people saying he should now be Germany's third choice after Neuer and Ster Tegan.

Also like Lafont he has been pretty open about wanting to come here. Horn also has a 5 million release clause.

Given what an overall the squad needs I can see the board wanting an experienced cheap german keeper, over a 20 million19-year-oldd, regardless of how good the kid maybe. Plus by all accounts he has the Sven seal of approval.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not holding brief for LaFont(who I haven’t seen or taken much notice of) but like Donnarumma, he’s had a decent number of games as number 1. They’re both unusual about earning that much trust as goalkeepers at an early age. So I guess they have some decent experience. I like Timo Horn though. Having said that it’s always a little tricky when evaluating keepers with bad defences. Do they look better because they face more adversity and have to save more shots, or are they better because of that experience. Both LaFont and Timo Horn are on relegation threatened teams, so is Butler who I’m not sold on.

Impact

Established Member
Lafont doesn't look special to me. I think people are taken aback by the fact he is a starter at such a young age but he doesn't strike me as having a massively high ceiling. Would prefer we buy an established keeper.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Lafont doesn't look special to me. I think people are taken aback by the fact he is a starter at such a young age but he doesn't strike me as having a massively high ceiling. Would prefer we buy an established keeper.
I'm starting to agree.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I raised this issue a while ago about him being just a big deal because he's young.

@carlito'sway was adamant he's quality, what's his track record for talent spotting like?

Aevi

Hale End FC
I raised this issue a while ago about him being just a big deal because he's young.

@carlito'sway was adamant he's quality, what's his track record for talent spotting like?
He's right about Lacazette thus far, I know that much...

I think Lafont could become the goalkeeper we need, but he isn't there yet and will probably need some time to get there. It's tricky, he clearly has talent and his stats are good yet his lack of experience looks visible to me. It's something I can't quite explain.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He's right about Lacazette thus far, I know that much...

I think Lafont could become the goalkeeper we need, but he isn't there yet and will probably need some time to get there. It's tricky, he clearly has talent and his stats are good yet his lack of experience looks visible to me. It's something I can't quite explain.

Agree. Weird thing for me is that I get no doubts at all about Donnarumma despite his age. That kid is gonna be the best keeper in the world for 10 years plus. Dying for a credible link to him.

carlito'sway

Established Member

I have to say that Lafont seems to be stagnating if not regressing lately, something that may happen with young keepers. Generally, GK's mature late (DDG and Courtois are obvious exceptions).

Having said that, Benjamin Lecomte the Montpellier GK may be the best one in Ligue (with Mandanda). They are talking about him for the French NT and he is actively watched by Deschamps. He is a modern and spectacular keeper, great with his feet as well and, at 26 yr old, more experienced than Lafont . He is going places. Arsenal should keep an eye on him.

Tom349

I have to say that Lafont seems to be stagnating if not regressing lately, something that may happen with young keepers. Generally, GK's mature late (DDG and Courtois are obvious exceptions).

Having said that, Benjamin Lecomte the Montpellier GK may be the best one in Ligue (with Mandanda). They are talking about him for the French NT and he is actively watched by Deschamps. He is a modern and spectacular keeper, great with his feet as well and, at 26 yr old, more experienced than Lafont . He is going places. Arsenal should keep an eye on him.

What can you tell me about Nordi Mukiele?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We have limited funds especially now and buying a 50-60m keeper is not the best thing to do with those funds

Don’t know if this kid is the right option but he has a cool name and Arsenal needs more black players. Black keeper would be v cool

Tom349

All the talk of Lafont being the potential answer but is Mike Maignan a potentially better option?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
When a potential Arsenal transfer starts talking about watching Van Persie as a child, I know I'm getting old. But then I guess if they grew up watching Charlie George they'd be too old now.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
An extract from the Scouted Football Handbook (which is free to download and an excellent guide to young players):

"One of Lafont’s most praised characteristics has been his personality. Calm, relaxed, easy-going, confident; the Frenchman has needed to be all of these things and more having been thrown into the starting line-up, in a position of such responsibility as a teenager. This manifests itself in his main weakness too; although Lafont is considerably tall at 6’4”, he does not yet have a man’s frame. This is only natural, given his age; and even then he has filled out since he first appeared for Toulouse. But it still seems a hindrance at times; when competing for crosses Lafont has looked tentative on occassion - which is understandable given the size and strength of some of Ligue 1’s premier target men he regularly competes with.

The attribute which first brought Lafont the the attention of the wider footballing world was undeniably his shot-stopping ability, understandable given goalkeepers are typically on highlights reels for either saves or mistakes. Thankfully for Lafont, it has routinely been the former—his agility and reflexes have seen him make save after stunning save when called upon. Most impressive however, is his ability to make normal saves rather than eye-catching ones. His positioning is solid for someone so young, his ability to reduce the angles and quickly close down attackers is pivotal to his command of his area. With even more experience under his belt, it is definitely possible for Lafont to become not just a very good shot-stopper, but a leader who can command and control a defence.

Of course, Lafont would not be the first player at a lower-mid table club to catch the eye with impressive saves. To earn a place at the big boys’ table, the question which will be posed to him is whether he can go beyond that to provide everything else that is required of a modern day goalkeeper.

So, is he comfortable as a sweeper-keeper? Yes, undoubtedly. The 19-year-old is comfortable leaving his goal and acting as part of his defence, rather than a man who simply stands behind it. No doubt, he is aided by his history of playing outfield positions that have seen him grown accustomed to having the ball at his feet.

This is not the only aspect of his game that has benefitted from his development from playing in the outfield either. To play at the top level, Lafont’s distribution will need to be at least serviceable, thankfully this is an area in which his skills are more than adequate. His range of passing is good, although at Toulouse he has primarily been asked to play longer balls as they have favoured a more direct style given their position in the table. His longer range kicking is okay, but it is not the strongest aspect of his distribution. His passing is best at a shorter range, which could well suit him better if he were to move to a bigger club. There is no doubt that he has the ability and the confidence to contribute in building play from the back, alongside other defenders. The third aspect of his distribution, his throwing is also cause for praise."

Top Bottom