• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alberto Moreno

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Interesting that it comes from the Mirror’s Liverpool correspondent and not Crossy. I think he’s a dreadful player but Emery knows him from Sevilla.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
This may not be as crazy as it seems. Fans like to put certain players in a box and never let them out. But the fact is that Moreno was fantastic when he was playing for Emery at Sevilla. So good, in fact, that he had broken into the Spanish national team and just missed making the 2014 World Cup squad on the final cut at the age of 22. He's 26 now, so he's still pretty young.

Moreno's problem is almost certainly mental. He may have lost confidence in himself after his awful performance against Sevilla in the 2016 Europa League final. Likewise, Klopp obviously lost confidence in Moreno, as did the Liverpool fan base. Maybe Emery can help him regain his confidence and he can get his career back on track.

Here's what Graham Ruthven, who writes about Spanish football for The Guardian and others, said about him in 2014:

“In a summer which is set to see several left-backs switch clubs, Alberto Moreno could be the best of the lot. He possesses the kind of pace and dribbling ability normally only seen in wingers, making him the perfect modern day full-back. Moreno won’t be at Sevilla for much longer, with some of Europe’s best chasing his signature.

However, he also fits into the modern full-back role in the sense that defence isn’t his strongest attribute, although his positioning often makes up for his lack of strength in the tackle. At just 22 he represents a shrewd investment in the future for whichever club signs him, and he’ll cost a lot less than the £27.5 million Manchester United paid for Luke Shaw.”

That player surely must still be in there somewhere, four years later. He just has to find it and bring it out again. On a free transfer and wages that surely wouldn't be much more than the £40,000 a week he's making at Liverpool, seems like a quite reasonable risk to me.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's very good offensively, which is what Emery cares about more than anything from his full-backs so it probably isn't far-fetched as it seems, especially on a free.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
It's a pointless one and won't happen. We have Kolasinac as a back up left back. If we're looking at that area it'd have to be as a long term replacement for Monreal and this donkey isn't it.
I'm not advocating for the signing, just taking a guess at what Emery's thought process could be here.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I'm not advocating for the signing, just taking a guess at what Emery's thought process could be here.
It's lazy journalism, in short. Just because he played for him, doesn't mean he has to sign. It's like Wenger coming back for El Neny if he gets the Bayern job.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's lazy journalism, in short. Just because he played for him, doesn't mean he has to sign. It's like Wenger coming back for El Neny if he gets the Bayern job.

There are positives to it though. I believe he would be on a free? Also Moreno would know exactly was is required to fit in to the system.

Moving forward, the signings need to reflect what Emery wants in a player. It will be interesting to see who we bring in.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
There are positives to it though. I believe he would be on a free? Also Moreno would know exactly was is required to fit in to the system.

Moving forward, the signings need to reflect what Emery wants in a player. It will be interesting to see who we bring in.
I think Monreal and Kola will both be here next year so it's probably irrelevant.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

It would be more like Wenger signing Ramsey if he takes the Bayern job because Moreno was far more than a squad player for Sevilla. He was a key player in the lineup. Whether there's actually anything to it or if it is, indeed, just speculation I can't say. But Moreno deserves more credit for being the excellent player he was at Sevilla. Emery may not be interested in a reunion, but I can see why he would if, indeed, he is.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
or Emery might have told Kola that his time is up.

It's also possible Nacho could move on as well. If they don't come to an agreement on an extension, he could go to finish his career at Real Sociedad (as he has planned). He'll turn 34 in the middle of next season and is getting to an age now where it's probably not beneficial for him to play as much as he's had to play recently. Arsenal has to be thinking of the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom