• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alejandro Grimaldo

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Anything is an improvement on Nuno Tavares so whatever, but this ends the "we are doing amazing work because we're targeting the exact kind of profiles we need" narrative if it happens. As everything is already saying, we'd be getting another Cedric.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
So he's Nuno but older?
I have no idea if there's anything to this link, kinda doubt there is, and I am not going to pretend I know anything about Grimaldo since his Barça days, but I suppose he is ahead of Nuno for a reason, and I do know he's a player who is quality on the ball. How his defensive ability would translate to the premier I'm not sure, but then Tierney is not exactly a defensive force, nor Zinchenko, more and more the defensive qualities of a fullback are not hugely important (if they were, AMN and Wan-Bissaka would be world-class fullbacks).

Again, I have no idea if we are after this player or not, but if we are, I suppose he's a decent footballer, Cedric comparisons are a bit off because we were at a different point in our rebuild and were clearly looking for leadership and professionalism in the dressing room as well as on the pitch quality, and Grimaldo is a full 6 years younger than him, and also much more accomplished on the ball, and tbh, the Cedric signing really hasn't been as bad as people make out, he's done well enough for a back-up, and should've enabled us to sell AMN for a decent profit to Wolves, if we had been a bit more intelligent in our work with sales.

FinnGooner

Established Member
This would be such a meh signing. Granted, I haven’t seen him much but I remember when he had his breakthrough season at Benfica years ago. He was supposed to go to all the top teams but nobody signed him. And I’m sure every top team scouted him inside out. There must be a reason nobody went for him.

Badger_Revenge

Everyone should be asking themselves, would I rather play Taveras or Xhaka at left back when Tierney is hurt or rested (as he will be a lot this season)? or player X that we've been linked to?

To my mind, almost any respectable option is better than those two as a stop gap. They were a huge weakness when played in that position, for different reasons.

I kind of miss Monreal.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
No more Spaniards, please.
Weird there's this anti-Spanish attitude here, when our recent record with French players includes failures like Giroud, Lacazette, Squillacci, Silvestre, Guendouzi to some extent, and in the last decade we've had just one good French player (who too had his issues), Koscielny, whereas we've had two Spanish ones (Santi and Monreal).

In general I see a lot more leeway given and positive bias toward French or French-speaking players here (the favourable way Guendouzi and Pépé are seen around here, for example, when there are lots of reasons to see them much more negatively)...it's an interesting one. Surely the anti-Spanish bias helps explain a bit the general attitude toward Arteta here, too. :/

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Everyone should be asking themselves, would I rather play Taveras or Xhaka at left back when Tierney is hurt or rested (as he will be a lot this season)? or player X that we've been linked to?

To my mind, almost any respectable option is better than those two as a stop gap. They were a huge weakness when played in that position, for different reasons.

I kind of miss Monreal.

Adding a third stop gap option is not really solving anything.

Any quality player who wants to play at LB just needs to look at Tierney's injury record to know that sooner or later they have a shot to cement their place as a starter.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Edu after buying a **** LB from Benfica to compete with Tierney a year ago:

4da.png

Top Bottom