• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Ok, I have to say that the " lacks brains/football intelligence" criticism you often see people throw at Iwobi doesn't sit right with me. He's obviously a very intelligent footballer, very good at linking up play and using space. Just feels like the lazy stereotype you see aimed at african footballers.

Yeah considering he broke through first because of his game intelligence according to Wenger , his final ball has improved too . It's funny how people can't pick this up , he'll be flying next year .

Last edited:

akhil

^^ Execution's the biggest problem with him.

That's the problem I have with his situation. He's not going to improve without playing consistently but he's not good enough right now to start for us week in week out. It's similar for for AMN, Holding, Chambers etc. Massive catch 22. They aren't going out on loan either. Holding was progressing very well at the back of last season. Chamber's had a good year on loan but these guys have to wonder what they have to do to get into the first team when their senior players have had poor campaigns through out the year. Kos, Mustafi, Xhaka being the rimary culprits. That is our bloody spine and it's no wonder we have been woeful away from home.

Wenger this decade has some doubled down on favoring senior players even if their younger counter parts are potentially better than them. Injuries and big ones have been the only time someone has broken through. Coq, Bellerin and Iwobi. Severe injury issues in the case of Coq and Bellerin.

Aevi

Hale End FC
He's clearly got talent, and I don't think it's right to slag him off to the extent many fans have. I think the problem is that he is a starting winger, he shouldn't even be in that position. Hopefully we bring someone more established in during the summer and ease pressure off him.

Zaza

A coach like Tuchel would get the best out of Iwobi. We've seen how Sterling has totally transformed this season as a result of playing under a great coach

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He's clearly got talent, and I don't think it's right to slag him off to the extent many fans have. I think the problem is that he is a starting winger, he shouldn't even be in that position. Hopefully we bring someone more established in during the summer and ease pressure off him.
he needs a few more tricks to make it as a winger. feel his best position is #10 right now.

interesting

Hleb was immense for us but always lacked the end product. I sometimes think a 10-15 goals from him would have won us something.

Rosicky dealt with so much injuries.

And Iwobi is a top talent! I have said before he needs to show more end product specially in the modern game where you have wing-forwards scoring a lot of goals. But if he fails to get more end product I still see him as a top talent maybe in midfield but there would also be a lot of work to do for him to fit in there!

I love Iwobi!

TakeChillPill

Established Member
interesting

This is where stats can be miss leading. Helb might not have scored goals, but he was vital in Wenger ball, excellent ball control, dribbling and dragging two three men around him to open up space for others.

There is a reason why he signed for barca.

Iwobi clearly has talent...great technique, pace, strength....as mentioned in a few posts above he he needs coaching, particularly guidance when it comes to that final pass. Its not that he has tunnel vision ala gervinho rather can see the options but over thinking and complicating his final ball.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He isn't a wide forward so I don't think his end product should come in the form of goAls.

What I love about him is his ability to receive the ball on the turn, the way he Shields and protects the ball, his strength, ability to drive forward with the ball, his weight of pass. What he lacked till more recently was defensive work. He is actually very good at winning the ball.

He has also been playing a lot of through balls recently so we know he has vision. Dembele played further forward earlier in career. He scored 5 goals in 3 years.

Just a thought, but maybe we are.better of turning him into a Dembele type rather than turning into a player who gets.into double.figures considering that his shooting technique is so poor.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

...great technique,
Sorry, I must be watching a different player than you. I think his first touch is really poor. He can't shot. I don't rate him much higher than Welbeck technique-wise to be frank. Both are quite dire in my view. He is really one we should offload quickly.

Tom349

He isn't going to start adding goals to his game for the same reason Gervinho struggled to score. He can't hit the ball with any conviction and regularly scuffs his shots. He might be 20 but he has a very advanced game for his age but the room for growth is very small as he lacks physically and he has never shown signs of having a final ball at youth level which is even more clear now.

He is a good example of hale end product who is very well suited to playing the Arsenal way and for that reason he will always have a place in our squad. But he is not and never will be good enough to a bonafide nailed on starter at a club as big as Arsenal at least not for the level we should be aiming at.

A year on and nothing has changed.

pikey2000

He isn't a wide forward so I don't think his end product should come in the form of goAls.

What I love about him is his ability to receive the ball on the turn, the way he Shields and protects the ball, his strength, ability to drive forward with the ball, his weight of pass. What he lacked till more recently was defensive work. He is actually very good at winning the ball.

He has also been playing a lot of through balls recently so we know he has vision. Dembele played further forward earlier in career. He scored 5 goals in 3 years.

Just a thought, but maybe we are.better of turning him into a Dembele type rather than turning into a player who gets.into double.figures considering that his shooting technique is so poor.

Good post, I agree and have mentioned it elsewhere that his attributes seem to suit a CM more than an AM.

His end product in terms of final ball and goals aren't AM/wide forward level, but his ability to be available for a pass, receive and retain possession in tight spaces is useful in a CM role, you get he feeling he could link play really well in that position, plus he can mix in a few dribbles from the middle of park as well.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in a more central spot, but with where are in our season at the moment this is not the time to experiment unfortunately.

nick gould

Sorry, I must be watching a different player than you. I think his first touch is really poor. He can't shot. I don't rate him much higher than Welbeck technique-wise to be frank. Both are quite dire in my view. He is really one we should offload quickly.
Comparing him with Welbeck, what you looking at, skin colour. They are so different. It has been mentioned how good Iwobi’s first touch and ball control is. He lacks composure to deliver that final pass or final shot. He has been accused of lack of defensive awareness.

Welbeck on the other hand is dire in every respect except work rate and defensive awareness. Proper fraud who for some reasons did well and national level.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Comparing him with Welbeck, what you looking at, skin colour.
Come on! No need for stuff like that!

On the subject. I don't rate Iwobi's first touch. I am sure some might disagree and think it is better than Welbeck's. I just don't from what I have seen of him so far.

pacstud

Come on! No need for stuff like that!

On the subject. I don't rate Iwobi's first touch. I am sure some might disagree and think it is better than Welbeck's. I just don't from what I have seen of him so far.
If the shoe fits....

Some fans don't "rate" anyone but the superstars.

It's superstar or "trash".

For age, body, skill, experience Iwobi is an easy keep/invest. Easy.

If AM had their way we'd have no one on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom