• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Good news. I really hope we see him get back to being that confident player he was a year or two back. Time for him to knuckle down.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
https://www.arsenal.com/news/alex-iwobi-my-own-words

Lovely words from Iwobi. It also sort of reinforces the point that Kanu made. It seems like ever since Iwobi started playing football as a kid, he's felt lucky to be where he is. He doesn't feel like the best player on the pitch, whereas some young players go through the ranks always being the best and most acclaimed player.

I suppose there are positives and negatives. It can push Iwobi to work harder if he doesn't feel he's naturally the most talented. But there is also a confidence issue, which we've seen last season. He's been given a big contract now and a big show of faith from the new manager. He's older, hopefully now's the time to feel like he belongs at this level and kick on. If he doesn't feel like he belongs here, he eventually never will.

I'm so happy about this.

Make no mistake. Iwobi form in front of goal has not been what we all wanted. But meanwhile we have see some other qualities pop up.

Like I seriously think he is one of the strongest player in the league. He can dribble and while he isn't trying to force it he is very good passer and most often when he keeps it simple he takes the right option. I said before last season that when it start and most thought he would be winger that Wenger might try him in the midfield, and as the season went on Wenger started trying him there(another Hydros pearl that proves he contribute a lot to the forum and is indeed very smart about football).

I'm not sure what Emery will to but Iwobi has a lot of strengths as midfielder, but as academy player he used to be very productive so maybe it is still hope for him in front 3.

But I wont complain if it pans out that he become a midfielder, a very strong midfielder who can dribble and pass and has a lot of attacking sense!

We will see!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Have there ever been að Dembele that is not a complete loser? One joined Sp**s and has nothing to show for it, and one joined Barcelona after months of crying and he is still crying like a little baby.

Iwobi, never asked for anything and is constantly trying to improve and be creative!

True, even the guy who plays for Celtic is always injured, mustn't take care of himself properly.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'm so happy about this.

Make no mistake. Iwobi form in front of goal has not been what we all wanted. But meanwhile we have see some other qualities pop up.

Like I seriously think he is one of the strongest player in the league. He can dribble and while he isn't trying to force it he is very good passer and most often when he keeps it simple he takes the right option. I said before last season that when it start and most thought he would be winger that Wenger might try him in the midfield, and as the season went on Wenger started trying him there(another Hydros pearl that proves he contribute a lot to the forum and is indeed very smart about football).

I'm not sure what Emery will to but Iwobi has a lot of strengths as midfielder, but as academy player he used to be very productive so maybe it is still hope for him in front 3.

But I wont complain if it pans out that he become a midfielder, a very strong midfielder who can dribble and pass and has a lot of attacking sense!

We will see!
The problem with him is that he kept it too simple.
Sometimes he needs to be more creative or make it more complicated for the defenders.

Mraven

I'm so happy about this.

He actually has quite a few similarities to Cazorla in midfield. Not as good technically, but he may make up for it with his physique. We lack such a player in CM. That can keep the ball in tight spaces, pass and dribble through midfield.

nick gould

He definitely helped change the tempo of the game after coming on against Chelsea. I love that turn near our own box leaving his marker in his wake. He then drove forward with the ball. I just hope it can come good for him in the final third he can be a monster.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He definitely helped change the tempo of the game after coming on against Chelsea. I love that turn near our own box leaving his marker in his wake. He then drove forward with the ball. I just hope it can come good for him in the final third he can be a monster.

I liked that too. Made me think he'd be good as the most advanced midfielder in a three: the guy who links midfield to attack. I think Iwobi is a player who we should judge on his assists, rather than his goals. Although obviously his finishing needs to improve.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
He actually has quite a few similarities to Cazorla in midfield. Not as good technically, but he may make up for it with his physique. We lack such a player in CM. That can keep the ball in tight spaces, pass and dribble through midfield.
Dribble on the wing is great.

Dribble as a CM is crime, unless you are as skillful as Cazorla, and have a proper DM who’s only focus on defending to secure our midfield defence.

If you want to be a CM, play like Pirlo or Xavi, receive the ball, make a good pass, offer passing options, make a good pass again. Not carrying the ball with you all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think it's more about escaping the press and keep the ball in tight situations more than being a good dribbler, that's a good attribute for a CM to have. Look at Modric for example. Not sure if Iwobi has those attributes, or certainly enough other attributes to make him a good CM. Being a good dribbler alone isn't enough. I like him more advanced, it's where he's suited more.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Dribble on the wing is great.

Dribble as a CM is crime, unless you are as skillful as Cazorla, and have a proper DM who’s only focus on defending to secure our midfield defence.

If you want to be a CM, play like Pirlo or Xavi, receive the ball, make a good pass, offer passing options, make a good pass again. Not carrying the ball with you all the time.

Ideally you want both types, you don't want three Pirlo/Xavi's in midfield because they'll all be standing around the same areas demanding the ball, equally you don't want three midfielders all dribbling/carrying the ball either.
Dribbling in midfield is only a crime if you do it in dangerous areas and you aren't great at it.
All great sides have midfielders who can dribble a ball, Zidane, Iniesta Modric etc even current sides, David Silva, Verratti, Pogba (France) you just need to balance it out, ideally with someone who can win the ball and a deeper playmaker.
If Ramsey does go, Torreira, Xhaka, Iwobi could potentially be a decent balance, Iwobi is competent defensively when he actually bothers he just needs a touch of polishing/direction.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ideally you want both types, you don't want three Pirlo/Xavi's in midfield because they'll all be standing around the same areas demanding the ball, equally you don't want three midfielders all dribbling/carrying the ball either.
Dribbling in midfield is only a crime if you do it in dangerous areas and you aren't great at it.
All great sides have midfielders who can dribble a ball, Zidane, Iniesta Modric etc even current sides, David Silva, Verratti, Pogba (France) you just need to balance it out, ideally with someone who can win the ball and a deeper playmaker.
If Ramsey does go, Torreira, Xhaka, Iwobi could potentially be a decent balance, Iwobi is competent defensively when he actually bothers he just needs a touch of polishing/direction.
They are extremely skillful players and have a powerful DM playing next to them. They know when to stop moving forward because they know their job is to keep possession, creating chances, not attempting to score.
And most players you’ve mentioned are AM, who have a two midfielders played behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom