• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasBootist

Logical deduction would be that Wenger prioritised keeping the ball, taking less risks in possession and perhaps ball movement over dribbling.

That would pretty much explain everything Iwobi is saying.
Everyone push forward, but don't lose the ball ok?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's certainly interesting, I cannot imagine that Wenger did not have enough patience for him.

I guess, it is a simple confidence issue solved, maybe Iwobi knows his role on the pitch better, maybe the new setup suits him more?
Emery is an excellent manager, there’s no doubting that.

And the players are bound to be enjoying their football more. The weight of the world has lifted off their shoulders. Fans united, a winning run, more noise in the stadium, no social media rants, no planes overhead.

As confidence grows, once nervous players will be able express themselves more, and mistakes will lessen. It’s just human nature.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Emery is an excellent manager, there’s no doubting that.

And the players are bound to be enjoying their football more. The weight of the world has lifted off their shoulders. Fans united, a winning run, more noise in the stadium, no social media rants, no planes overhead.

As confidence grows, once nervous players will be able express themselves more, and mistakes will lessen. It’s just human nature.

Don’t forget an underperforming manager that was living in an Ivory Tower for the last couple of years.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Don’t forget an underperforming manager that was living in an Ivory Tower for the last couple of years.
Dropping out the of the top 4 after 20 continuous years, due to unbearable pressure both on him and the team had nothing to do with it of course. Why didn’t I think of that?:rolleyes:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Dropping out the of the top 4 after 20 continuous years, due to unbearable pressure both on him and the team had nothing to do with it of course. Why didn’t I think of that?:rolleyes:

But didn't Wenger bring the pressure on himself by getting bad results? I 100% acknowledge that Wenger was an amazing manager and I cant wait for the statue but no one can deny his player motivation, tactics, and player selection, substitutions, were all below par in his final few years. That's why he's no longer here, not because of pressure, there is always pressure in any high paid job.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
But didn't Wenger bring the pressure on himself by getting bad results? I 100% acknowledge that Wenger was an amazing manager and I cant wait for the statue but no one can deny his player motivation, tactics, and player selection, substitutions, were all below par in his final few years. That's why he's no longer here, not because of pressure, there is always pressure in any high paid job.

In general YES.

Only thing many people forget that the media became unbearable just due to him being here to too long.

Further, this very fact, 20 years, is also the biggest challenge anyone can face.
It does not necessarily mean he did much wrong in itself but the mere problem of being at one place for too long overshadowed anything else.

That's why many top managers like Guardiola leave after 3 years, because they want to keep their image as a succesfull coach as for each new year it becomes harder to bring out the best in all players and inject the same spirit, motivation and drive for the same players. Anything looses some of its magic after years and this also applies to the best coaches in regard to their players.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
In general YES.

Only thing many people forget that the media became unbearable just due to him being here to too long.

Further, this very fact, 20 years, is also the biggest challenge anyone can face.
It does not necessarily mean he did much wrong in itself but the mere problem of being at one place for too long overshadowed anything else.

That's why many top managers like Guardiola leave after 3 years, because they want to keep their image as a succesfull coach as for each new year it becomes harder to bring out the best in all players and inject the same spirit, motivation and drive for the same players. Anything looses some of its magic after years and this also applies to the best coaches in regard to their players.

I've always said that I will never blame Wenger for being here so long, the BoD are to blame for our decline because they failed to act. If they had done something about it earlier, Wenger wouldn't have endured the awful ending, the planes, the banners and all that shyte. We wont ever see his like again but as you say, everything loses its magic eventually.

GoonerBoy19

Once you set a benchmark , you have to maintain the same. Wenger set very high standards in his initial years and couldn't maintain it in his final years. Emery have just started and people had low expectations with his first season.

Back on topic : Iwobi certainly have a swagger in his game now, long may it continue. We desperatly need some quality players from our academy as we can't compete with City for players like Frenkie de Jong. Nelson, ESR etc are our best bets.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But managers are not playing on the pitch bro. Players cannot perform to their best with a massive campaign of rants going on around them, no matter what they’re paid, it’s common sense. They’ll look nervous and make mistakes, and that’s what happened.

Iwobi, like many of the other players are playing well now and it’s not a surprise that the atmosphere is more conducive to that happening.

Emery and Wenger are two superb managers, we’re lucky to have had them, let’s leave it at that.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
But managers are not playing on the pitch bro. Players cannot perform to their best with a massive campaign of rants going on around them, no matter what they’re paid, it’s common sense. They’ll look nervous and make mistakes, and that’s what happened.

Iwobi, like many of the other players are playing well now and it’s not a surprise that the atmosphere is more conducive to that happening.

Emery and Wenger are two superb managers, we’re lucky to have had them, let’s leave it at that.

I know you will always defend Wenger and there's nothing wrong with that but I have many memories of screaming at the TV when Wenger made yet another strange substitution. I agree players probably were effected but what came first, Wengers errors, or the players! (notice that's not a question) Lets leave it at that! :)

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I know you will always defend Wenger and there's nothing wrong with that but I have many memories of screaming at the TV when Wenger made yet another strange substitution. I agree players probably were effected but what came first, Wengers errors, or the players! (notice that's not a question) Lets leave it at that! :)
I’ll always defend Emery too, he’s turned out to be top drawer bro.

Don't know why people are using Iwobi as a stick to beat Wenger with... It was Wenger who gave him the first chance, and stayed with him through bad form last season. A vital game time for developing player!

It is good that Emery found a way to release all that potential but Wenger also get credit IMO.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Yeah I don't know how much of Iwobi's development is down to Emery and how much due to natural maturity. We've got so used to talents like Walcott and Chamberlain stagnating that we think thats how all players are. Iwobi was hand picked by Wenger and given ample chances to blossom. The form of Iwobi and Bellerin is the natural evolution of a player, maybe helped a little by the lifting up of the pall of gloom around the club for which Kroenke and the Board were responsible as much as Wenger.

VancouverCanuck

Don't want to drag into another debate about Wenger.

I don't know how much Iwobi's improvement is due to Emery. But it is a fact that both Walcott and Chamberlain have stagnated under Wenger. In no way am I suggesting this is down to Wenger. It is the players who should shoulder most of the responsibilities anyway.

However, using the same argument, perhaps we should not be giving too much credit to Wenger for developing Fabregas, Henry, RVP, etc.

I do admire and agree Wenger had a great eye for talent. At least in the early years.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Don't know why people are using Iwobi as a stick to beat Wenger with... It was Wenger who gave him the first chance, and stayed with him through bad form last season. A vital game time for developing player!

It is good that Emery found a way to release all that potential but Wenger also get credit IMO.

Tbh my bit about Wenger had nothing to do with Iwobi. I am guilty of going off topic. If you want my input though I agree, Wenger does deserve credit for giving Iwobi his chance but I also think Wenger dropped him when he shouldn't have. Anyway, the boys come good now, whether its Emery or Iwobi himself or maybe both, I don't know and it doesn't matter.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You prefered Arteta from the start and said we turned down an exciting project by getting Emery.

Just kidding.
All water under the bridge bro. Can’t rememember Emery being on many posters original wish list.

But once a manager signs the contract, he’s ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom