• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Yes it is. Teams defend as units nowadays. Look at my last post in the Emery thread on the first Liverpool goal. He does **** all. He's worse than Özil off the ball who always gets criticized for being lazy. Iwobi is the epitome of lazy. He strolls around and doesn't even work to close passing lanes.
Tbh, i don't watch what attackers do defensively that closely. Iwobi's attacking incompetence pisses me off to much to watch the other parts of his game.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Love him but the pass for Xhaka's goal seems like the only pass he can successfully play.

Could become his thing though if he masters it. Still hope he works on his offensive game whether it's passing or shooting.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Very good first half, very frustrating second. He had some really good moments and was involved in a lot of our good moves so I'm quite happy with his performance overall, but he still lacks conviction so much. Telegraphs everything he does, especially that inside pass to the overlapping fullback - it's been clocked and he still keeps trying to do it unsuccessfully.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Fantastic game, always positive and available.
Cementing his place as a starter

Love the kid.

Gooner_girl14

Was overall good today and while he is back on track with his progress, he's still 50-50 for me about whether or not he's the quality we need. Still makes poor decisions quite often.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Am yet to be convinced that selling our best player is the best option here. We're shipping goals for fun with 5 at the back. Replace a CB with Özil.

For every game we played under Emery, we didn’t park the ****ing bus, or set a deep defensive line. Our pressing is high up the pitch and so is our defensive line.

5 at the back? Our full backs plays like wingers. Should they even be counted as defenders?
Mourinho would have had his strikers playing like defenders.

We try to create overload when attacking, leaving us short in numbers at the back.

I don’t know why someone would call this a defensive lineup. We are such an attacking team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Am yet to be convinced that selling our best player is the best option here. We're shipping goals for fun with 5 at the back. Replace a CB with Özil.

Ask any Madrid fans, they’ll tell you he was not consistent enough.
He was not on the same level of iniesta, modric or silva, in terms of individual skills, involvement of play, and consistency.

I won’t criticise him on his defending since he is an attacking player.
But why have I always think Özil is overrated? It’s because of his inability in his attacking play.

Özil likes to stay out of the build ups as much as possible, observe for the exact right moment, and execute the most accurate pass.
Whereas what I wanted is someone like iniesta, modric or silva, who are constantly involved in build ups, always try to make good through passes, always want to create space with good movement, play lots of one twos, and try to beat defenders with individual skills.
Not staying out of the picture and just making the final pass the the end.

In terms of stats, of course his stats would looks good, as he always wait for that exact right moment to make the perfect pass.
But for the team, i would rather have a CAM who is always involve in plays. The CAM may not get as much assist but the whole team will play better, with more possession, and the other attackers will have more assists, and more chances would be created.

Özil was often praised with his ‘creativity’ on the final ball. But his ‘creativity’ on the general play in the midfield is lacking. To me, a world class CAM has to be good on both. What we need is the Cazorla type of player, not Özil.

He is overrated, a good player but not world class, certainly not irreplaceable.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
For every game we played under Emery, we didn’t park the ****ing bus, or set a deep defensive line. Our pressing is high up the pitch and so is our defensive line.

5 at the back? Our full backs plays like wingers. Should they even be counted as defenders?
Mourinho would have had his strikers playing like defenders.

We try to create overload when attacking, leaving us short in numbers at the back.

I don’t know why someone would call this a defensive lineup. We are such an attacking team.

At no stage have I said a defensive line up. Do you believe we'd concede a lot more with 4 at the back? I think we'd score more with an extra attacker instead of a defender.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
At no stage have I said a defensive line up. Do you believe we'd concede a lot more with 4 at the back? I think we'd score more with an extra attacker instead of a defender.
It depends.
Sometimes 3 at the back are necessary, because emery’s tactics is so attacking that he pushes everyone up to create overload.
The opponent can then creat an attacking overload to us, as we are short in numbers at the back.
That’s why we are having a DLP and DM to protect our back line. But depends on the opponents players’ position and attacking numbers, we may be better off to play 3 at the back just to protect us from the counter.

truth_hurts

I think if you have Laca, Auba, Özil and Mkhi in your squad, you play at least 3 when available. When you line up with 1 forward like we did against Liverpool, it encourages the other team to attack us. 3 Cubs and 2 more defensively minded midfielders is overkill. No top team in Europe does it and neither should we.

truth_hurts

This is slightly deviating from Iwobi. My point with him is that I think he can add a lot to our game and is having a good season. His skills seem more suited to a central role however.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think if you have Laca, Auba, Özil and Mkhi in your squad, you play at least 3 when available. When you line up with 1 forward like we did against Liverpool, it encourages the other team to attack us. 3 Cubs and 2 more defensively minded midfielders is overkill. No top team in Europe does it and neither should we.
But having too many attackers and less midfielders will risk being outnumbered in midfield. Especially when Liverpool midfield were good. I think emery were trying to win the midfield battle there. Can’t blame him with the injury we had.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I really don't like how often he overplays. Holds on to the ball too long (similarly to guendouzi). I feel like when we hit a team on the counter, when he is an outlet he tends to miss the moment to play the final ball.

When he does play his final ball it's often over hit or under hit at that. I don't think he has the ability for now to be starting week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom