• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorontoGooner76

I think Iwobibis still a useful player for us, but I don't think he should be starting for us week in and week out in a perfect world.

With his dribling and ball retention ability, I wonder if he would be better suited more centrally? He can pick a pass and has the energy to press. Would this work if Emery decided to play a 433 setup?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think ESR in his brief moments has looked better. ESR looks to be in control and calm. Iwobi always seems panicked and nervous. If he scores,I feel surprise and relief as opposed to expectant. I haven't seen a significant improvement in his deficiencies this season either. We could keep him fora few seasons but we did that with Jack and Theo when it was evident at least four years before they left that they would never work out for us. Sell with a buy back clause if necessary. I'd be surprised if he turned out to be the first player to tear it up elsewhere for years.
He's scored about 11 in 88 games which is fine for a pretty young man.

His decision making is panicky bad, but apart from that he is really solid

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's scored about 11 in 88 games which is fine for a pretty young man.

His decision making is panicky bad, but apart from that he is really solid
I don't mind the poor output as much as the lack of composure. He should have more composure as without that he will never be good enough to reach the top.

Fallout

obviously there's a lot to be desired, but i think he's improved significantly this season. ball retention is very good, brings a lot of energy, can play a good through ball.

hopefully he learns to add composure in the final third because it's the only ingredient he's missing. i would persist for a few more seasons. alternatively, i'd be interested to see him as a number 10 in emery's setup.

he's only 22. we've seen a lot of our young talents stagnate at that age, which maybe has scarred some fans. i honestly believe that with emery he has a chance to keep improving rather than standing still (i think this was one of wenger's biggest shortcoming in his final seasons).

ptrcopp

I have a lot of time for Iwobi, I would not sell him. In a perfect world we’d have an established first 11 with clear roles and he could develop behind those guys. Now he’s in an out in different positions, roles. I guess at least he gets a lot of PL hours in at his age, not many will.

Look at for example our 0-2 against huddersfield, Iwobi receives the ball in the middle of the pitch from Koscielny. A hard pass, controls it with his left foot, ball is dead in one touch, and he plays a perfect pass through to Mkhi with his right foot. All this time his head is up, he’s looking what the next move will be, where he will go afterwards. You will say well he had all the time in the world. I say that works against the best teams in the world too under pressure. That’s why I think he’s special and he was like this from the moment he came through. Now its time to develop further.

I feel like he is a casualty of not being in a team with another great wide player he can learn from. Or proper coaching for the last few seasons.
In the same game he can show how brilliant he is, but then he will also make a couple of terrible decisions. I don’t think it will take much for him to be an important player in this team.

Look at City and Liverpool whose best youngers are playing as subs, or if they do start it’s only maximum 2. We have had AMN, Guen, Iwobi, Holding all get significant minutes this season.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Can this guy play the Willian role for us?
can he be that transition type of player?
Is that what Unai sees for him?

I believe in him, because in the worst possible escenario he can be a strong squad player.

TorontoGooner76

hopefully he learns to add composure in the final third because it's the only ingredient he's missing. i would persist for a few more seasons. alternatively, i'd be interested to see him as a number 10 in emery's setup.
I think this would suit him much better actually, maybe not as a lock-on starter week in and week out but I think he would be more useful there. He can pick a pass and can retain the ball under pressure.

When he is wide, I feel that when he beats his man or gets isolated he does not know what to do. If he was played more centrally then it would add options in those situations.

Didn't he play more centrally coming through the youth ranks?

I wonder if Emery has pondered any of this, provided we bring in some help out wide next season?

say yes

forum master baiter

Heard @say yes was leading the charge.

Heard @say yes was leading the charge.

Jokes aside I never boo / join in negative chants about inidividual players and think people that do are ****s.

I’ll criticise Iwobi on here when he plays poorly (and thought he was great against Huddlesfield) but I’ll never be singling him out for abuse at a game / online. He’s an Arsenal player trying his hardest ffs.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Best not to read about that kind of negativity. It's depressing but players are trained to handle **** like that.
As long as the abuse isn't personal, and is limited to boos, it's pretty par for the course, sadly.

Bottom line is all clubs have stupid fans.

neimad

Not gonna lie...was literally texting a mate about how poor Iwobi was when he scored then. He's a frustrating player. Very much in the Gervinho ilk of having obvious talent running with the ball but then will break your heart with his (lack of) finishing or decent assists.

Emery seems to like him. Would definitely sell Miki first. As has been alluded to it's his panicking when the money shot is required that's his real problem here. The next year or so will be reflective of his true talent feel.

Dj_sds -

I think alot of the stick he gets has more to do with him getting playing time instead of Özil than his actual performances. He was one of our best players vs huddersfield.

TorontoGooner76

He can't pick a pass. At least, not one that isn't obvious.
Poor. There have been a few goals assisted by Kolasinac this year, and many more good chances where Iwobi played a great pass to him.

I also remember an amazing longer pass to Bellerin for a pre-assist early in the season. Can't remember against who, but he split the fullback and the centre back with a great through ball. I was like "wow, what vision".

Hopefully someone can post the clip.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I dont trust his decisions in front of the goal, we all
know that
but, no player makes me feel safer then Iwobi when he has the ball. So good with it in his feet, it’s not such common skill to have, at least not at the level he is doing it, and he’s still a kid.
won’t comment on idiotic abuse he gets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom