• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Its idiotic to play such an inexperienced player in the position vs Kante & Pogba.

Ox needs to play in an attacking position. At the wrong club to nail down the RB / RWB slot & really no club hoping to challenge at the top end should be playing such a raw CM.

Feels like we have been here before with another Southampton product.

Why? Ox has already nailed the RWB spot for us with his performances in that role.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I counted him making 4 bad passes in the first 7 mins. It's true that the system around him and the team wasn't good, but I keep hearing people say he has the vision and passing ability to play CM, and I just don't know.

I think he'd play well as RM in a 4-4-2 with a technical winger like Lemar on the other side.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He was terrible but I'm not sure how much I'd take from that. Most of England's star players have always looked a shadow of themselves in the NT.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He always looks a tamed player in central positions to me and ineffective on the left. He is great on the right and a player that really forces defenders to panic with his directness.

I disagree to an extent that it's about his specific position. I think it has more to do with the consistent switching around.

We had huge a midfield crisis going into Chelsea away when Xhaka was suspended, Ramsey was injured, Elneny was unfit and Wilshere was on loan. Ox was thrown in out of necessity and individually played very well, particularly against Southampton away and against Bayern but the team's results overall were poor due to the chaos elsewhere.

He was building a rhythm and confidence in that role having collected several MotMs. He then missed one game against West Ham at home, which was our first win in something like 7 games. After that, Wenger wanted to keep the same balance and retained Elneny-Xhaka going into Palace away, which was a disaster. The recovery after that was Boro away where he switch to 3 at the back for the first time and played Ox as a wing back.

He was erratic and inconsistent on the right prior to that because his career has been so stop-start. He gets into good form then gets either i) injured ii) dropped or iii) played in a different position because of injuries elsewhere. This used to be Ramsey. He would often be played on the right or whatever to 'balance' the team because of inadequacies elsewhere. It's a perennial problem with Wenger and I think ironically, he needs to look to his old club and how they developed consistency by defining a clear identity for each player and sticking to it.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

People judging him based on his England performance. I'm sorry but until England get a Silva, Özil, Eriksen type player or two the English team will always struggle.

As for us I like him at Rwb but I'm not sure where his long term future is with us. Bellerin is number one there that leaves the Ox in a limbo he has been in for years.

DerDeutscheMann

WurzlSepp Mark 2
People judging him based on his England performance. I'm sorry but until England get a Silva, Özil, Eriksen type player or two the English team will always struggle.

As for us I like him at Rwb but I'm not sure where his long term future is with us. Bellerin is number one there that leaves the Ox in a limbo he has been in for years.

To be honest it is his own fault!
He has to perform, otherwise he will not start for a big club.

cloista

He's not the type to be the playmaker in the middle, he has the tools to be a decent box to box option though. For me, he's cover for Bellerin and Ramsey in the 3421.

Impact

Established Member
Chamberlain struggled against France admittedly. However, I don't think that tells us much about how he'll do here as a central midfielder.

Against France, Chamberlain partnered Dier (a player who looks very much the defender pushed forward when on the ball). And as good as Sterling and Alli are, they are players that prefer to be involved towards the end of moves and are not additional playmakers. He was devoid of quality passing options all throughout the game.

Add to that France having three central players with Pogba, Kante and Lemar, and it was bound to be a difficult night for Oxlade.

Last edited:

Aevi

Hale End FC
Welbeck on Chamberlain's position:

“With the quality he has and with his ability on the ball… I’d say centre mid,” Welbeck told Arsenal Player when asked where his team-mate’s best position was.

“I feel like he’s got the ability. I like it when he gets the ball in central mid, he knows that I can run in behind and he can play the ball over the top.

“He’s got that in his locker and that’s something that if we’re in training, we look forward to doing… if he stands somebody up in the centre of midfield and goes past them, they’re not getting the ball back.

“He’s had some solid performances and it’s something that doesn’t really come as a surprise to me,” Welbeck added. “I’ve seen him over the years, I’ve seen what he can do and what he’s capable of. I think now he’s started to reap the rewards from it.

“He’s putting in some solid performances and he knows that. But he knows in himself that that’s got to be the standard, he has to be consistent with that, improve and get to the next level. I’m sure that’s what Ox is focusing on doing.

“He’s so powerful and quick with the ball. He’s got an eye for a pass too, so it’s centre of midfield for me.”

Nice of him to back Ox up.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Welbeck on Chamberlain's position:

“With the quality he has and with his ability on the ball… I’d say centre mid,” Welbeck told Arsenal Player when asked where his team-mate’s best position was.

“I feel like he’s got the ability. I like it when he gets the ball in central mid, he knows that I can run in behind and he can play the ball over the top.

“He’s got that in his locker and that’s something that if we’re in training, we look forward to doing… if he stands somebody up in the centre of midfield and goes past them, they’re not getting the ball back.

“He’s had some solid performances and it’s something that doesn’t really come as a surprise to me,” Welbeck added. “I’ve seen him over the years, I’ve seen what he can do and what he’s capable of. I think now he’s started to reap the rewards from it.

“He’s putting in some solid performances and he knows that. But he knows in himself that that’s got to be the standard, he has to be consistent with that, improve and get to the next level. I’m sure that’s what Ox is focusing on doing.

“He’s so powerful and quick with the ball. He’s got an eye for a pass too, so it’s centre of midfield for me.”

Nice of him to back Ox up on what he'd like to do.
Great words spoken by an even greater man.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I am all for Oxlade as Cm, but
1. It will still take time, so dont judge him after one brilliant performance or one bad one there..
2. There is at least 10 different types of CM's. Dont expect him to be something he ain't

skip spence

At the moment I'd say RWB. Might even be ahead of Bellerin in that position which is a shame in a way because Hector is too good to be on the bench and someone worth persisting with. Never been too impressed with him at RW, his off the ball runs are not good enough meaning he won't score enough compared to Theo. He's good in midfield but behind Ramsey in the box to box role. Can do a job at LWB too but I don't see him ever excelling at that position. Someone suggested RM in a 442 and I agree that is an interesting proposition.

karl

I disagree to an extent that it's about his specific position. I think it has more to do with the consistent switching around.

We had huge a midfield crisis going into Chelsea away when Xhaka was suspended, Ramsey was injured, Elneny was unfit and Wilshere was on loan. Ox was thrown in out of necessity and individually played very well, particularly against Southampton away and against Bayern but the team's results overall were poor due to the chaos elsewhere.

He was building a rhythm and confidence in that role having collected several MotMs. He then missed one game against West Ham at home, which was our first win in something like 7 games. After that, Wenger wanted to keep the same balance and retained Elneny-Xhaka going into Palace away, which was a disaster. The recovery after that was Boro away where he switch to 3 at the back for the first time and played Ox as a wing back.

He was erratic and inconsistent on the right prior to that because his career has been so stop-start. He gets into good form then gets either i) injured ii) dropped or iii) played in a different position because of injuries elsewhere. This used to be Ramsey. He would often be played on the right or whatever to 'balance' the team because of inadequacies elsewhere. It's a perennial problem with Wenger and I think ironically, he needs to look to his old club and how they developed consistency by defining a clear identity for each player and sticking to it.
Your point is well considered and I really hope you are right, because I two of my favourite players are Ox and Bellerin. It would be good that they are both integral to the side.

However, I just don't see Chamberlain as central midfield material as yet. For me he is a high risk, high reward type of player. Maybe not such a risk taker as Alexis in losing the ball, but still a player that could be hit and miss for the immediate future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom