• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Strange how this comes out off the back of an England game where he played CM.

But if that's where he wants to play I think we should be aiming higher.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Welbeck on Chamberlain's position:

“With the quality he has and with his ability on the ball… I’d say centre mid,” Welbeck told Arsenal Player when asked where his team-mate’s best position was.

“I feel like he’s got the ability. I like it when he gets the ball in central mid, he knows that I can run in behind and he can play the ball over the top.

“He’s got that in his locker and that’s something that if we’re in training, we look forward to doing… if he stands somebody up in the centre of midfield and goes past them, they’re not getting the ball back.

“He’s had some solid performances and it’s something that doesn’t really come as a surprise to me,” Welbeck added. “I’ve seen him over the years, I’ve seen what he can do and what he’s capable of. I think now he’s started to reap the rewards from it.

“He’s putting in some solid performances and he knows that. But he knows in himself that that’s got to be the standard, he has to be consistent with that, improve and get to the next level. I’m sure that’s what Ox is focusing on doing.

He’s so powerful and quick with the ball. He’s got an eye for a pass too, so it’s centre of midfield for me.”

Nice of him to back Ox up.

Thank you Danny. Bold parts in particular.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I've changed my mind recently, I reckon he should stick to playing at RWB. It has been a high point of his career here thus far, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. One of my concerns was that the competition with Bellerin would drive one of them out, and I'd ideally like both, but I suppose if we were to keep the best of the two we would remain pretty well off. We'd lack a RB if Bellerin were to leave, but we should get a good enough fee to replace him easily. I don't want to give up on Ox as a CM though, he could still get games here and there in that position. There is something there imo, and he's still young enough to make a switch.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I've changed my mind recently, I reckon he should stick to playing at RWB. It has been a high point of his career here thus far, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. One of my concerns was that the competition with Bellerin would drive one of them out, and I'd ideally like both, but I suppose if we were to keep the best of the two we would remain pretty well off. We'd lack a RB if Bellerin were to leave, but we should get a good enough fee to replace him easily. I don't want to give up on Ox as a CM though, he could still get games here and there in that position. There is something there imo, and he's still young enough to make a switch.

Two things I'd say to this:

1) He was already on a high point in CM during that run of games where we had a midfield injury crisis. The 'if it ain't broke don't fixed it' should have applied there. The difference was the results of the team because we were still playing with Özil at No. 10 and leaving two CBs exposed. He'd be even better as a CM in the current set up IMO.

2) He has no desire to play right back long term so what's the point of pursuing it short term? Bellerin is going to be first choice there and Ox won't accept being a back up in a World Cup year, so it's best that he's just sold than played as a makeshift full back.

Impact

Established Member
Oxlade-Chamberlain will stay. And his best position is midfield. He'll compete with Ramsey for that spot. He'll also do a good job at RWB too. His versatility is a good thing.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Did Ox get hurt against WSW? Before they made the substitutions he looked like he pulled something and was limping around.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
After the Cup final against Chelsea when we were short of options and Chamberlain stepped up for the LWB role and did a pretty decent job, I got convinced that Arsenal needs him and he can do well here. The guy brings versatility to the team. Him and Holding (maybe even Chambers) are the only British players who I really hope remain at Arsenal.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Sky say Chelsea will start negotiations to sign him after he told Wenger he wouldn't sign a contract with us. If ttue, it's pretty ungrateful from Ox considering his injuries and inconsistencies. I assume he will be back up to Moses if he goes.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Sky say Chelsea will start negotiations to sign him after he told Wenger he wouldn't sign a contract with us. If ttue, it's pretty ungrateful from Ox considering his injuries and inconsistencies. I assume he will be back up to Moses if he goes.

He'll start over Moses for sure if he goes to Chelski- I'm not sure he's going anywhere though. Wenger was very stern in the way he responded to transfer rumours about him.

Would be incredibly disappointing to sell him now, after what was his best season. He's still so young too.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He'll start over Moses for sure if he goes to Chelski- I'm not sure he's going anywhere though. Wenger was very stern in the way he responded to transfer rumours about him.

Would be incredibly disappointing to sell him now, after what was his best season. He's still so young too.
Fair points but unlike Alexis who can help us get up the table,Ox is back up to Bellerin or at best his replacement if he's playing badly. Is he worth losing £30m over just to leave for free a year later?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Fair points but unlike Alexis who can help us get up the table,Ox is back up to Bellerin or at best his replacement if he's playing badly. Is he worth losing £30m over just to leave for free a year later?

Ox is probably ahead of Bellerin at RWB believe it or not :lol:.

I just still see Ox as having worldie potential. Can't stand the thought of him fulfilling his promise elsewhere, especially Chelski.

If we can get upwards of £40M for him it'd be a decent consolation but even still strengthening a rival would be annoying.

scytheavatar

Established Member

I just still see Ox as having worldie potential. Can't stand the thought of him fulfilling his promise elsewhere, especially Chelski.

If we can get upwards of £40M for him it'd be a decent consolation but even still strengthening a rival would be annoying.

I am quite certain Wenger intends to play Chamberlain as left fullback...... TBH that probably is a big reason why Chamberlain might be looking at leaving us. He clearly plays better in the right than in the left, and if Wenger hasn't figured that out by now then Wenger is a gone case as far as getting the best out of Chamberlain.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Agree about the potential but we've been here so many times that I get the jitters. Imagine he's Walcott mark 2 :eek:

GDeep™

League is very weak
He'll do well at Chelsea. Conte will get him working in a more restricted and disciplined system.

Playing CM for Klopp seems messy though.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Ox has been at Arsenal for a while now and is not really setting the football world alight. If I were him and Conte came calling, it would be worth leaving. The excitement of working with a fresh coach who has just won the league at his first attempt. He would get good money, but it's not about the money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom