• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex

Godsend_Gooner

Squillaci should not be the benchmark. We need a defender better than Koscielny and Djourou. I have my doubts with Cahill as well, but he'd be better than Alex at the moment.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
As an isolated case Alex would be a good signing. The further Squillaci is from the starting line up, the better.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Thommybhoy said:
What do bookies say. What are the odds on Arsenal buying 0 (zero) players until window ends?

We're signing Park so I would say the odds are 0/0 :D

dpt49

Established Member
Thommybhoy said:
What do bookies say. What are the odds on Arsenal buying 0 (zero) players until window ends?
Just looked at the odds, can't see odds on us not buying anyone.

Quite interesting they are giving evens on Bemdtner going to Stoke.

We will sign 1-2 players, but they won't be the "super quality" that Wenger promised.

I think when Wenger made that remark he meant we are selling super quality rather than buying

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
I'd take him and partner him up front with Robin. His ferocious long shots and heading ability as well as body strength would make him the first Arsenal player to kick messi off the perch and bring home the ballon d'or.

hesham

Established Member
Not sure he is exactly what is required, we need an organiser in defence... TV is the only one with any sense back there so if hes out there has to be someone who can take his place... having said that he is a quality defender and a would not say no

and were ****ing desperate

Bossa

Established Member
Best defender that we can get. This guy is an absolute beast. I'd prefer him over Jagielka, Samba and even Cahill.

dpt49

Established Member
It shows how under average our squad is, when a weak link in Chelsea's defence would be a starter for us

Mark

Established Member
If we signed Alex and Benayoun I wouldn't exactly be blown away, but we could do a lot worse. At least they wouldn't need a f*cking settling in period that is part and parcel of every player we ever sign.

Plus Alex is an improvement on most of our defenders, coming from a club that knows how to defend as well. Plus, he takes a mean free kick, which is something we haven't had for a long time.

mo50

Established Member
When we've got the likes of Koscielny as a starting Cb, I cant believe some of you are contemplating whether this would be a good signing. He'd be a dead cert starter and would improve us big time. The question is, would he come here?

GDeep™

League is very weak
There is nothing in this story. Would rather have Cahill too. Interesting how opinion on him varies on here, some think he's cack while others would be over the moon to sign him.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bossa said:
Best defender that we can get. This guy is an absolute beast. I'd prefer him over Jagielka, Samba and even Cahill.
chelsea only have 3 CBs if Ivanonic is a RB so can't see them selling Alex without buying a CB

Kain

Established Member
I don’t think there is much substance to the link someone on another blog mentioned that the media has caught on to a potential meeting between Arsenal & Chelsea representatives, and ended up putting 2 & 2 together and come up with 10, hence the Alex, Benayoun and now Malouda links

For me adding Alex would be a great addition for a 4-4-1-1 formation, adopting a similar strategy to how Chelsea used to defend a few seasons back. They had Cashley the attacking WB we’d have Santos, then they had Carvalho as the scrapper in the backline we’d have Vermaelen snuffing out danger, J.Terry as their tank whilst we’d have Alex, and a defensive minded right back which for us would be Bac. Plus a big 6”5 keeper behind them in Szczesny.

-- ^ -------------------------------------
-- ^--------------------------------------
-- ^---------------------------------------
-- ^---------------------------------------
-- ^ --------------------------------------
--- Santos—----------------------------------
--------<<<<<Vermaelen—Alex—---Sagna
------------------------Szczesny--------------------

****ty guide i know, but Santos as our threatening WB, Vermalen with the recovery pace and guile covering behind him, with no nonsense defenders in Alex & Sagna on the right covering Theo's flank. The formation change would help with Gibbs too he'd be able to attack at will knowing that we won't overcomit at the back and gradually let Gibbs build up his much needed fitness in order to go three games without killing himself through injuries.

Gervinho as our main threat should play on the left and Theo licence to kill on the right actually using his pace to get on the opposite side of Gibbs/Santos & Gervinho's attacks.

Both Alex & TV will chip in with goals with their venomous shots and how they attack the ball in set pieces for headers, they’d be a really balanced partnership albeit a short lived one as Alex is in the latter stages of his career. It wouldn’t work with an over the top high line setup which we annoyingly deploy nonchalantly in every fixture (that really needs to stop like now, it needed to stop 3 damn years ago), so the formation change would be the begging point to addressing that issue.

Saying all that, would Alex really want to come here given our current state, would Juve not seem a better place for him to see out his career in a slower paced Italian league, would we want to do business with Chelsea again after being on the end of Gallas and Lassana Diarra in the recent past?

qs

Established Member
Don't think I'll ever forget that header he scored for PSV against us. Yet another painful moment in the last 6 years of misery.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Kain that is a great diagram. I populated the rest of the pitch, and the resulting play, if you'll indulge me

Picture is too wide to post here :-(

<a class="postlink" href="http://i52.tinypic.com/2qmf8l4.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i52.tinypic.com/2qmf8l4.png</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abz_14

Perfect illustrations of Arshavin and Ramsey there MD, have you thought about becoming an artist?

Latest posts

Top Bottom