• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexander Hleb

Spike

Established Member
Double_H said:
he will play Just Like Fabregas Played ...in the right wing and going center

From the games I've seen him play, he either plays in the midddle or on the left. But as many say, he can play anywhere across the midfield.

Gideonliew

Spike said:
Double_H said:
he will play Just Like Fabregas Played ...in the right wing and going center

From the games I've seen him play, he either plays in the midddle or on the left. But as many say, he can play anywhere across the midfield.

thanks for hte clips....he's got great skill...and he looks like he has tons of energy to burn....

kel varnsen

Established Member
Gurgen said:
. Also, nobody in our team seems to understand that shooting on goal from distance actually helps.

i think henry should try more often. he has an amazing shot; a lot of power and precision.

asajoseph

Established Member
Gurgen

I agree with kel here.

A wise man once said, a pass is not a pass unless it beats an opposition player.
Usually we just pass around when we can't get through a defense, only Dennis can get the pass right when it's very tight. There's no 'reconstructing' involved at all, and it usually leads to losing the ball on the edge of the box. Bayern away is a perfect example of this. Also, nobody in our team seems to understand that shooting on goal from distance actually helps.

Football, for me, is as much about the ability to make good decisions as it is about kicking a football - it's all very well being the most silkily skillful player in the world, but if you don't pass when you should pass, dribble when you should dribble and shoot when you should shoot then you'll never achieve anything. Reyes, for me, is a player who's been an example of dreadful decision making for much of the season, dribbling when he shouldn't and shooting too late, despite his obvious talent. For me, this is what Hleb will need to realise when he comes to Arsenal - on the whole, we're a team of superb decision makers, knowing when an attack will fail and when not to risk the impossible. Now don't get me wrong, I think a player with a little bit of 'adventure' is exactly what we need, somebody who is more willing to take things on, and has the talent to back it up. But there will ALWAYS, no matter how talented a player is, be times when an attack is going nowhere and it will be more profitable to pass the ball backwards to the midfield and start again. It shouldn't be a problem for Hleb to learn this, but learn it he must. He has the talent to unlock defences both with his runs and his passes: but he has to be aware of his own limitations. Through natural talent alone, he will be able to create more than players like Gilberto and Freddie, making passes and runs that they cannot make, and thus should be more adventurous by default. But there are things that he cannot do, and it is important that he recognises this.

MK5

It's probably just me but none of these links are working now :x Anyone else with other video clips?

Gurgen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Gurgen

I agree with kel here.

A wise man once said, a pass is not a pass unless it beats an opposition player.
Usually we just pass around when we can't get through a defense, only Dennis can get the pass right when it's very tight. There's no 'reconstructing' involved at all, and it usually leads to losing the ball on the edge of the box. Bayern away is a perfect example of this. Also, nobody in our team seems to understand that shooting on goal from distance actually helps.

Football, for me, is as much about the ability to make good decisions as it is about kicking a football - it's all very well being the most silkily skillful player in the world, but if you don't pass when you should pass, dribble when you should dribble and shoot when you should shoot then you'll never achieve anything. Reyes, for me, is a player who's been an example of dreadful decision making for much of the season, dribbling when he shouldn't and shooting too late, despite his obvious talent. For me, this is what Hleb will need to realise when he comes to Arsenal - on the whole, we're a team of superb decision makers, knowing when an attack will fail and when not to risk the impossible. Now don't get me wrong, I think a player with a little bit of 'adventure' is exactly what we need, somebody who is more willing to take things on, and has the talent to back it up. But there will ALWAYS, no matter how talented a player is, be times when an attack is going nowhere and it will be more profitable to pass the ball backwards to the midfield and start again. It shouldn't be a problem for Hleb to learn this, but learn it he must. He has the talent to unlock defences both with his runs and his passes: but he has to be aware of his own limitations. Through natural talent alone, he will be able to create more than players like Gilberto and Freddie, making passes and runs that they cannot make, and thus should be more adventurous by default. But there are things that he cannot do, and it is important that he recognises this.

The fact that Hleb has to learn when to keep his football simple speaks for itself, but you're missing the point about our play.

Usually when we're playing against a tight defense, we're passing the ball around, then we pass it back. Now the stupid EPL teams spread out at this time, allowing us to reconstruct our attack with more available space. The better ones and defensive European teams just stay where they are, they defend with a 'till here and no further'-tactic. Then we continue to pass around some more until we lose the ball and get hit on the counter attack. Nobody in our team seems to get the idea to just whack it at goal or take the ball and dribble past 3 or 4 players. 8/10 times it won't work, but if you don't try you don't get anything either. I'm glad Hleb's still willing to try the latter, that's all.

invisibleman18

Established Member
gotta agree with that gurgen. from my own personal experiences as a goalie, there is nothing mor frustrating than seeing my team have so much attack but for noone to just have a ding.

asajoseph

Established Member
Gurgen,

I don't think I am missing the point - rather, we're making different ones. Of course it's great to have another player with a bit of flair, a bit of creativity from the midfield, especially against tight European defences. As you point out, somebody who is willing to create something from midfield on his own is always welcome.

All I am doing is pointing out that sideways passing is not pointless - whether Hleb has the balls to shoot from distance or not, if he tries the extravagant 10 times out of 10, even in Europe he will do more harm to us than good. There is a time and place for extravagant football, and hopefully we might see it more often with Hleb around. But no matter how good you are, how talented you are, passing sideways and backwards, at the right time, is never useless. So great, I look forward to somebody who's willing to take players on, arrogant and cocky enough to dribble through defences, and I look forward to seeing Arsenal and Hleb do it in Europe. But even then, if he thinks that passing sideways and backwards, and slowing the game down is useless, he's misguided, and Arsène will soon be talking to him about it in training.

If it's an obvious point to make, I apologise for writing at such length about it. But you'd be surprised how many people miss the blindingly obvious...

Cheers,

Asa

asajoseph

Established Member
arsewhole said:
so does anyone know when the unveiling/press conference is?

There won't be one, until he passes a medical and gains a work permit. Hopefully, it will be next week, but depending on how the review procedure works, it could be longer. Nevertheless, I expect he'll be training with Arsenal from now on.

IBL

Established Member
Just seen Hleb highlights from the Belarus-Scotland game and have to say that Hleb is very economical with the ball and has a good footballing brain. He made some excellent through balls to the Belarus frontline but they were unable to do anything constructive with it (poor first touch, poor dribbling). With that kind of service the Arsenal strikers would have created chances on goal. He plays it simple when he needs to and always looks to probe the backline for the killer pass. I was also impressed with his dribbling and his pace.

All in all looks like a great addition to the squad!

asajoseph

Established Member
You should see some of the chances created by Hleb that Kevin Kuranyi's missed over the last two years - honestly, I could have scored some of them.

IBL

Established Member
Asa - yep I saw some of those highlights, couldnt believe myself how Kuranyi managed to miss some of those chances. He somehow stumbled over the ball on one of those chances :lol:

A

Anonymous

asajoseph said:
You should see some of the chances created by Hleb that Kevin Kuranyi's missed over the last two years - honestly, I could have scored some of them.

LoL !

Legend#1

Established Member
asajoseph said:

My god, Kuranyi is awful.. I can't believe he's a German international.. as was Carsten Jancker :x

Sammer

Established Member
To label Hleb as a "dribbeling individual" is a misconception.

There is much more to his play, than dribbeling. It will take him some time to link up with the Arsenal style of play,but I expect that rather soon to happen, as he is incredibly intelligent in his play.

Latest posts

Top Bottom