• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexander Madlung

Jaded

I hope it's okay if i open a new thread.

Been awhile we linked to a defender. Just hoping this will cheer up some fans who want 'strong' defender and good header of the ball.

WOLFSBURG. There is a sensational transfer: The top English club Arsenal are showing interest in VfL Alexander Madlung. The research showed WN in Wolfsburg and England in the best informed circles.

It should Arsenal managers to team manager Arsène Wenger especially Madlungs ball heading ability and strength are still missing - while playing observations in the past two years, but also on a video that the leaders of top European clubs since over a week.

VfL manager Felix Magath would transfer sensation good fit. After buying the Italian world champion Andrea Barzagli is in its interior defense no room for Madlung, already in the back round almost always sat on the bench when Ricardo Costa and Jan Simunek fit.

Magath also wants up to 16 players abgeben. Madlung would be one of the few relatively large amount of money in the fund would bring. We are talking about two million euros a replacement for the 25-year-old, whose contract ended next season.

What will a European top club like Arsenal wants with Madlung? At first glance seems absurd to change, however, to the second logical: The English need a big squad to play all their mandatory tasks. The entire season is played out in the Wednesday-Saturday-from rhythm by the size of the Premier League (20 teams) to participate in two national cup competitions and the European royal class, the Champions League.

Up to 60 games obligation are therefore not uncommon for a Topklub of the island. This requires a great Arsenal squad, had for the past season, for example, 35 players in his extended deployment, including the German national goalkeeper Jens Lehmann, the former director of Stuttgart's Alexander Hleb, the former Dortmund midfield player Tomas Rosicky and the Dutch EM-Star Robin van Persie .

For the two national players Madlung speaks especially the ball and head duel strength in the English football great demand. A sensational transfer to Arsenal - so would-man VfL Decker astonish the entire league and by the way, a big dream come true. He has always wanted to play in England .

Translated using Google.

http://www.newsclick.de/index.jsp/menuid/2050/artid/8651853

Don't know anything about him. The report say he's currently playing second fiddle to Barzagli, Ricardo Costa and Simunek. Not exactly pleasing to hear.

1.94m in height. That's pretty much it.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Madlung

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
With a name like Madlung, it'd be awesome if he had an abnormally large amount of stamina. Other than that, not particularly thrilling news (tm).

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Yeh saw the link on him yesterday from that german article. Very good, solid defender, very good in the air, no nonsense has pace as well. A typical German centre back, plays for wolfsburg

Him along with Manuel freidrich were pretty unlucky not to get selected in the defence set up

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
£2 Million, could be worth a punt but id rather just get mertesacker and thats it sorted in the defensive department

Rafa makes a lot of poor signings but his defensive signings in Skrtel and Agger both 23 was sublime scouting and business

Paddy from Sweden

@ Djourou,

What did EMIR8_SOLDIER write?

Very good, solid defender, very good in the air, no nonsense has pace as well.

I haven't seen the player but try to be open to what other people say. But when what two people say contradicts eachother then I mostly believe the one with the open mind who has a positive view.

Meatwad

per has never done anything for bremen or the german team that could convince he's anything but a big softie who won't dominate in the air and then won't give you the positives of a shorter mobile defender. what's the point of a tall center back if he's not going to kick ass in the air?

if the idea is to sign someone who can offer aerial dominance as an alternative (not replacement) to our current two then the guy needs to be really dominant in that dept (and not slow of foot and mentally weak like senderos).

illmatik

Established Member
Meatwad said:
per has never done anything for bremen or the german team that could convince he's anything but a big softie who won't dominate in the air and then won't give you the positives of a shorter mobile defender. what's the point of a tall center back if he's not going to kick ass in the air?

if the idea is to sign someone who can offer aerial dominance as an alternative (not replacement) to our current two then the guy needs to be really dominant in that dept (and not slow of foot and mentally weak like senderos).

and that person is......?

jay-d

Established Member
illmatik said:
Meatwad said:

That's why the club spends millions on a scouting network.

illmatik

Established Member
That wasn't my point Jay-d. we keep getting linked with these defenders and most of them are shot down for lack of something. It's like as if there are no good defenders for sale. I would definitely take a defender like Madlung or Mertesacker, we could certainly use defenders like them

Meatwad

i don't have a problem with madlung even though he isn't as good overall as mertesacker simply because he's good in the area that everyone sees we need to improve. when you say things like "defender like Madlung or Mertesacker" it means they are similar, they aren't. yes they are both tall, but mertesacker isn't aerially dominant. i find myself being disappointed every time i watch him.

imo, madlung would be a good underrated signing. mertesacker would be a overrated signing and huge disappointment to those expecting this big tall guy to just kick ass in the air.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Good point Meatwad, you know your football. Madlung is a beast in the air and also likes to push forward too. Mertesacker isnt but he is a couple years younger and has big potential. His defensive record is impressive and rarely picks up bookings. But for sure, Madlung is the underrated signing

Anzac

Established Member
In which case Mertsacker sounds like a case of more of the same style of our current CBs, whereas Madlung provides an aerial option in defence & attack. If he's quicker than Sendy, better in the air & got more physical presence - then lets get the chequebook out.

Gurgen

Established Member
This guy is dogshit, I'd be very surprised if we went for him.

He makes Djourou look like Franco Baresi.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Meatwad said:
i don't have a problem with madlung even though he isn't as good overall as mertesacker simply because he's good in the area that everyone sees we need to improve. when you say things like "defender like Madlung or Mertesacker" it means they are similar, they aren't. yes they are both tall, but mertesacker isn't aerially dominant. i find myself being disappointed every time i watch him.

imo, madlung would be a good underrated signing. mertesacker would be a overrated signing and huge disappointment to those expecting this big tall guy to just kick ass in the air.

Most of our most successful players were over rated by many before they came here ;) I'm all for Madlung. He offers what we need and at a cost that Wenger might actually go for. Agre totally on Mertsacker too, you hear so much hype about him then see him yourself and are left feeling he's too soft for a CB

gunner_down_under

Just saw another interview on BBC with Arsène and Lee Dixon asked him if he's seen good CB's at the Euros, and he said No, and was generally dissatisfied with the quality of the CB's. In fact he said there's a shortage of good CB's around the world at the moment.

Kinda tend to agree with him in a way.

dos1986

Established Member
illmatik said:
Meatwad said:

Naldo

He's tall, strong, fast and has good technique.

Much better than Mertesacker, who has now where near the pace or skill of Naldo, in the air both are a little weak for 2.00m, but way better than Gallas and Kolo who are 1.80m

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
There are good centre backs around, just not enough of them are Champions

Its clubs like us that should give them the opportunity with that potential to achieve that not s**t like Senderos and a couple more we have

Top Bottom