• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: Alex Swan Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
This is the no.1 problem and I've been going about this for years.
Same thing happened with Depay when he was here. Totally mishandled by Van Gaal.

Just as I have posted below, strikers should be helping the team to create chances, not waiting for chances.
Laca does help a tiny bit in the build up play, but quality wise, he just does the simple stuff, and quantity wise, he is not doing enough. Still too much of a poacher to me, just slightly better than auba in the general play.
Strikers like Suarez, Firmino, Benzema, Van Persie, Sanchez......They create chances for themselves and also for their teammates. They contribute a lot in the general play, so that their teams have more possession and more chances.

And I don’t mean we have to get players at that level. John Jules for example, is a lot closer to what I have mentioned above in terms of playing style than nketiah. He is not anywhere near that level but he is the right kind of player.

Strikers who wait for services to happen (poacher) are limited and shxt.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Just as I have posted below, strikers should be helping the team to create chances, not waiting for chances.
Laca does help a tiny bit in the build up play, but quality wise, he just does the simple stuff, and quantity wise, he is not doing enough. Still too much of a poacher to me, just slightly better than auba in the general play.
Disagree that he doesn't help. You sound like you don't even watch our games becaus he always helps out the midfield and puts his body on the line.
It's not his fault that the people behind him were terrible for over a year at creating chances.
I mean, he was basically a box to box midfielder for a good period of time, ffs.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Memphis flopped in PL after setting the Eredivisie alight and is now killing it in L1 where Lacazette was killing it for years. Think we’d get similar results from Memphis.

For me the issue with Laca wasnt necessarily down to him, but how poor our team has been creating chances over the years. Giroud was a massive asset with his heading and aerial holdup ability whereas we now miss the plan B - hoof crosses to our big target man to help us force a goal late in the game.
Think Memphis will be fine. He’s older, more robust and powerful, has had uninterrupted minutes as the main man, champions league experience and 26/27, he’s exactly who we should be signing it’s the type of profile we sorely lack aside from Partey.

What we do instead is sign players like him in their early twenties and ruin them - then call them flops. It’s hard for young players to develop at big clubs like Arsenal and Man U there’s too much pressure for results.

He went Man U too early and got his career back on track. We will see this a lot with a few Arsenal players (Guendouzi, Saliba, Torreira etc).

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Disagree that he doesn't help. You sound like you don't even watch our games becaus he always helps out the midfield and puts his body on the line.
It's not his fault that the people behind him were terrible for over a year at creating chances.
I mean, he was basically a box to box midfielder for a good period of time, ffs.
Suarez, Benzema plays like a 10, always involve in the general play. Laca is still not doing enough.

And what's that ”put his body on the line” is about? What does that has to do with making combination passes/his dribbling skills? Messi when being played centrally, doesn’t need to put his body on the line, he doesn’t have to “hold up” the ball using his body. Just close control, pass, movement, pass, movement, skills, pass...

@KrissKringle

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Suarez, Benzema plays like a 10, always involve in the general play. Laca is still not doing enough.
Ridiculous comparison considering they're playing for teams with better creative midfielders and have support that don't require them to do defensive work as much as Laca has.
And what's that ”put his body on the line” is about? What does that has to do with making combination passes/his dribbling skills?
It's about sacrifice and drawing fouls. He can clearly make combination passes if he's got the right people around him, which is why he's thriving since Arteta brought on ESR and Saka.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Think Memphis will be fine. He’s older, more robust and powerful, has had uninterrupted minutes as the main man, champions league experience and 26/27, he’s exactly who we should be signing it’s the type of profile we sorely lack aside from Partey.

What we do instead is sign players like him in their early twenties and ruin them - then call them flops. It’s hard for young players to develop at big clubs like Arsenal and Man U there’s too much pressure for results.

He went Man U too early and got his career back on track. We will see this a lot with a few Arsenal players (Guendouzi, Saliba, Torreira etc).
Completely agree with that part. Just making the observation that tearing it up in Europe/L1 is no guarantee for success in PL.

Playing with space in a less physical league makes a lot of players look like world beaters (Pepe). You can put CL in the same category as you rarely see low block pure physical teams as those teams are all used to domimating their league. PL really is a different beast.

I think Memphis would have struggled just like Laca in the past Arsenal squads. Only recently with Partey and ESR you see we are playing more progressive and it’s no coincidence that Laca looks a better player.

Not saying Laca is the answer. Upgrade is definitely needed if we are to really make any push towards top 4 stability. But imo this needs to come from midfield and our general playstyle.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Not saying Laca is the answer. Upgrade is definitely needed if we are to really make any push towards top 4 stability. But imo this needs to come from midfield and our general playstyle.
The options for upgrade are very limited. The only reason I suggested Memphis is because he’s on a free.

You guys want Benzema, but I don’t know who that is who would come Arsenal.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ridiculous comparison considering they're playing for teams with better creative midfielders and have support that don't require them to do defensive work as much as Laca has.

It's about sacrifice and drawing fouls. He can clearly make combination passes if he's got the right people around him, which is why he's thriving since Arteta brought on ESR and Saka.
I'm not talking about defensive work. Just look at how they play passes after passes patiently to open up opponents team. They pass like iniesta. And how they open up the defence by tricking defenders to the other direction with their dribbling skills.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I'm not talking about defensive work. Just look at how they play passes after passes patiently to open up opponents team. They pass like iniesta. And how they open up the defence tricking defenders to the other direction with their dribbling skills.
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Laca is a poacher by trade. He started out on the wing when he still had dreadlocks and then moved up front.
Considering his position, he does a whole lot more than the requirements.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The options for upgrade are very limited. The only reason I suggested Memphis is because he’s on a free.

You guys want Benzema, but I don’t know who that is who would come Arsenal.
Not Benzema level, could be levels below but with similar playing style. The opposite of useless poacher would be fine. Could be someone like John Jules instead of Nketiah.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
The arm from Laca doesn't justify the final action of dragging him down in response though. Emi has practically admitted it was a pen :lol:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Lacazette is just not a good player, it’s annoying when people go over the top when he has the 5 good games he can muster for a season.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
As a CF you cannot get away with no shots at all . It’s nuts.
Isn’t this his second game in a row where he’s unable to conjure a shot? See, I could defend him if we were playing that blasted 343 system and he was asked to do too much, but in a classic 4231 I’m expecting my striker to at least trouble the keeper. He has ESR behind him, Partey and Xhaka are both capable of getting the ball up to him and he has two wide forwards who can create. Zero shots on goal is bad and that’s on Laca, nobody else.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Isn’t this his second game in a row where he’s unable to conjure a shot? See, I could defend him if we were playing that blasted 343 system and he was asked to do too much, but in a classic 4231 I’m expecting my striker to at least trouble the keeper. He has ESR behind him, Partey and Xhaka are both capable of getting the ball up to him and he has two wide forwards who can create. Zero shots on goal is bad and that’s on Laca, nobody else.

And in a situation where we were desperately chasing a game

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Lacazette is just not a good player, it’s annoying when people go over the top when he has the 5 good games he can muster for a season.
No one is saying he is great. But Auba and nketiah has been shocking and we look worse with them. He is the best of bad bunch right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom