• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: Laca the Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I think Laca would also be very good in a position Ramsey is currently playing. He offers a lot more than just goals, I think his hold up play is brilliant and he could adjust to that role like Rooney did later in his ManU career. That would require 2 new wingers (or one new and Özil wide) in the team and shifting Auba back to CF.

You don't move a guy that scores like him further away from goal. You keep him right where he is.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

FFS, just admit you were talking rubbish, mate.

I said two upfront when what I actually meant was 442, I even conceded to the poster in question that he somehow read my mind when I was at fault for not making myself clear. The thing is he's wrong, it was wrong Mark and it doesn't take a lot of research to confirm that.

What are you talking about? :/

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I said two upfront when what I actually meant was 442, I even conceded to the poster in question that he somehow read my mind when I was at fault for not making myself clear. The thing is he's wrong, it was wrong Mark and it doesn't take a lot of research to confirm that.

You truly are the Michael Owen of this forum.

HBL

Established Member

The thing is, I had no idea what you were even trying to say in response to me. I didn't read your mind at all? You said teams rarely find success using two upfront these days and I just gave you examples of teams that have won titles/european competitions using two up top, it just so happened that the teams I listed used 442.

Barca and Real used it almost every game last season, with Real using more of a diamond and Barca using a more orthodox 442 with the full backs providing most of the width. Monaco used more of a pure 442 as do Atletico and Allegri flirts between 352 and 442 most of the time over the past couple of seasons.

You're correct fullbacks provide the majority of width for most top teams these days but I don't see how that applies to my point. There are still plenty of teams that use two up top.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You truly are the Michael Owen of this forum.
You're coming at me for not making my point clear but said poster somehow understood what I meant. The potential misunderstanding was averted. I meant 442, he knew I meant 442.

That aside:

Juve play a 352/4312/451, Barca play anything but a flat 442, The Real Madrid dynasty played a midfield three. That's three of the five teams he listed as playing 442 who don't.

Now next are the teams he didn't mention. Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Dortmund etc...

So on one side you have pretty much every top side and on the other you have two teams who have succeeded with a 442, enough of a disparity that you could call them outliers.

So how am I talking rubbish by saying that a 442 is a rarity at the highest level? Resorting to petty insults in response to a genuine question. Nice.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
You're coming at me for not making my point clear but said poster somehow understood what I meant. The potential misunderstanding was averted. I meant 442, he knew I meant 442.

That aside:

Juve play a 352/4312/451, Barca play anything but a flat 442, The Real Madrid dynasty played a midfield three. That's three of the five teams he listed as playing 442 who don't.

Now next are the teams he didn't mention. Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Dortmund etc...

So on one side you have pretty much every top side and on the other you have two teams who have succeeded with a 442, enough of a disparity that you could call them outliers.

So how am I talking rubbish by saying that a 442 is a rarity at the highest level? Resorting to petty insults in response to a genuine question. Nice.
Just giving you a rev Trill

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The thing is, I had no idea what you were even trying to say in response to me. I didn't read your mind at all? You said teams rarely find success using two upfront these days and I just gave you examples of teams that have won titles/european competitions using two up top, it just so happened that the teams I listed used 442.

Barca and Real used it almost every game last season, with Real using more of a diamond and Barca using a more orthodox 442 with the full backs providing most of the width. Monaco used more of a pure 442 as do Atletico and Allegri flirts between 352 and 442 most of the time over the past couple of seasons.

You're correct fullbacks provide the majority of width for most top teams these days but I don't see how that applies to my point. There are still plenty of teams that use two up top.
Yeah I agree with what you're saying.

For some reason when I made the initial post I only had a 442 in mind when thinking of potential two upfront formations for Arsenal. Obviously there are a lot more options than that.

I then thought you were saying all those you teams mentioned played a flat 442 but you've just clarified what you meant with this post.

Was basically a misunderstanding between two posters that would have been sorted in a few posts but certain man wanna chime in with negative energy for no real reason.:p

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Well, this is awkward.
I typed two upfront when what I meant was 442.

He replied with examples of teams who used 442.

You can see why I would assume he read my mind. It's now clear that @HBL was just using 442 as one example though, it just happened to be the one formation that I was (wrongly) fixated on.

ThlRama

Player:Saka

And yet repeating doesn't make it factually correct. I can't be bothered to look any more than this, I just checked transfermarkt for Real Madrid's formations for the previous season, and they have them listed as playing 24 games in a 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2, or maybe some other formation with two up top.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/real-...y=&heim_gast=&punkte=&datum_von=-&datum_bis=-

If you can't bother checking yourself nobody can help you.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I typed two upfront when what I meant was 442.

He replied with examples of teams who used 442.

You can see why I would assume he read my mind. It's now clear that @HBL was just using 442 as one example though, it just happened to be the one formation that I was (wrongly) fixated on.
Shew, you are getting worked up about this. Relax Trill. Loved this though, "(wrongly) fixated":lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Shew, you are getting worked up about this. Relax Trill. Loved this though, "(wrongly) fixated":lol:
I gotta show you that I can admit when I'm wrong.:lol:

I'm just one of those people who have to make sure I've made myself clear, typing/writing never goes well for me if I don't check what I've written. My mind works approximately 3445x faster than my fingers.:lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

And yet repeating doesn't make it factually correct. I can't be bothered to look any more than this, I just checked transfermarkt for Real Madrid's formations for the previous season, and they have them listed as playing 24 games in a 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2, or maybe some other formation with two up top.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/real-...y=&heim_gast=&punkte=&datum_von=-&datum_bis=-

If you can't bother checking yourself nobody can help you.
Old point - back when I thought he was arguing for 442 specifically rather than two up top - that I've already conceded mate, thanks though x.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
2 upfront or narrow formations can work in different leagues or in very different circumstances.

In the PL going narrow is going to require some excessive pressing which is unhealthy for the team in long term. Leicester had great success using their 442 but that alone wasn't the reason for their title win. They had average players who excelled at following the specific requirements of a 442, the big 6 were having an off season and a lot of decisions went their way.

The PL is obsessed with genuine width and out and out wing play, it was why we were such a massive outlier due to our obsession with narrow play (while operating with false wingers). Playing with 2 upfront requires an extremely well balanced midfield aswell, you also sacrifice creativity (as it operates best with two box to box) which is something we currently do not have. Our midfield balance is quite poor and our "wingers" either offer defensive solidity with no end product or end product with a lot less defensive solidity.

So in a way @Trilly is right. 442 would really not work for us in the long run. We can switch tactics depending on the opposition, which Emery has shown to be a massive fan of, so it the circumstances allow or require us to play a variation of the 442, then we will. However, that being our main setup is quite unrealistic.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
2 upfront or narrow formations can work in different leagues or in very different circumstances.

In the PL going narrow is going to require some excessive pressing which is unhealthy for the team in long term. Leicester had great success using their 442 but that alone wasn't the reason for their title win. They had average players who excelled at following the specific requirements of a 442, the big 6 were having an off season and a lot of decisions went their way.
They also had something like 15 penalties before December in spite of having an average of 30% possession. Completely unheard of statistic before they won..... Some of their games they were brilliant but I seriously felt by the end of December everyone including the FA and the refs had bought into the hype and nobody wanted them to lose.... Everything went their way... Absolutely everything.

nick gould

He didn’t have his scoring boots on but his hold up play is absolutely insane for such a small man. His involvement for our third goal was absolutely class. We definitely have the two best strikers in the league and world.

Gursha

Im just here to appreciate the difficulty, accuracy, weight and vision of lacas pass to Özil in the 3rd goal, prob our best goal this season.

While Özil is the obvious engine of that move, lacas pass was so hard, and he pulled it of to perfection, such tight space, for that pass he actually pulled his leg backwards so the weight will be perfect, amazing technic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom