• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Edouard would be a more interesting Laca replacement than Tammy imo. Looks like he can play a bit as well as score goals. Also somewhat adjusted coming from the Scottish league and the same sort of age profile.
I really don't get the hype with Edouard. The below post was my reply to someone when they asked why I was putting him on the anti -wish list about 2 months ago.

I just think he is way overhyped. Whenever I have watched him he has never impressed me. Hasn't got any exceptional attribute, isn't particularly fast, good in the air or lethal finisher. He is more an all rounder, where he does everything maybe to a decent level. His strong point is linking up play and holding on to the ball, but I'm not sure how to rate that as you get so much time in the SPL.

My biggest disappointment of him is his finishing ability. The amount of chances he needs to score is very high, usually with just the GK to beat he tamely rolls it straight to him. From my recollection he misses too many big chances to ever become elite. For this reason I tried to look up his xG but couldn't find it anywhere as I don't think they do it for the SPL.

He is still young and could improve of course but currently I don't see anything special in him.

I have somehow ended up watching quite a few Celtic games last couple of years (have no idea why) and in every single game he has been underwhelming.

last week I was watching Celtic v Midtjylland CL qualifier. Have to say he was dreadful. Had the best chance of the game when he was put through 1v1 with the keeper. Needless to say he missed. It was quite telling while Celtic were desperate for a goal to establish a first leg lead he was subbed out.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I really don't get the hype with Edouard. The below post was my reply to someone when they asked why I was putting him on the anti -wish list about 2 months ago.

I have somehow ended up watching quite a few Celtic games last couple of years (have no idea why) and in every single game he has been underwhelming.

last week I was watching Celtic v Midtjylland CL qualifier. Have to say he was dreadful. Had the best chance of the game when he was put through 1v1 with the keeper. Needless to say he missed. It was quite telling while Celtic were desperate for a goal to establish a first leg lead he was subbed out.

Cheers for taking the time to give us a bit of insight. I've not seen him in more than a couple of games so mostly going off his videos and numbers which I know you should take with a big pinch of salt. He looks strong, good in tight spaces and with a great instinct on his final ball. His numbers this season (considering Covid) and last season seem pretty strong, but would be interesting to see how that compares to other Scottish strikers who made the move south. I'd be interested in his XG and chance conversion stats as well. Maybe I've just got Hooplehead's comment about his Bergkamp skills fresh in my head still. Obviously a red flag if he goes missing loads.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Cheers for taking the time to give us a bit of insight. I've not seen him in more than a couple of games so mostly going off his videos and numbers which I know you should take with a big pinch of salt. He looks strong, good in tight spaces and with a great instinct on his final ball. His numbers this season (considering Covid) and last season seem pretty strong, but would be interesting to see how that compares to other Scottish strikers who made the move south. I'd be interested in his XG and chance conversion stats as well. Maybe I've just got Hooplehead's comment about his Bergkamp skills fresh in my head still. Obviously a red flag if he goes missing loads.
I wouldn't claim to be an expert on Scottish football as tbf I don't watch enough of it but I have seen enough games of Edouard to form an opinion. And imo he falls way short of forwards that we should deem good enough to try. Maybe a smaller PL team should be his next destination. You would have thought Rodgers would have taken him considering he was looking for a striker yet he went for Daka instead.

As for his numbers in Scotland. You always have to take those in context. The likes of Gary Hooper, Jan Vennegoor of Heseling, kris Boyd etc have been scoring for fun up there. His numbers then don't look anything special. The season before last he was out scored by Alfredo Morelos for example. Also if you watch Celtic games you will realise they have about 65% possession against most teams in the league. They're usually camped out in the opposition's penalty area. They create loads of chances. Any decent striker should in theory be bagging a hat full of goals. Which makes it very hard to judge strikers for me. So what I mainly look at is anything exceptional, whether that be incredible speed, finishing, passing etc. I haven't seen any of those. At least when Moussa Dembele was playing up there I could see he had great finishing ability.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I wouldn't claim to be an expert on Scottish football as tbf I don't watch enough of it but I have seen enough games of Edouard to form an opinion. And imo he falls way short of forwards that we should deem good enough to try. Maybe a smaller PL team should be his next destination. You would have thought Rodgers would have taken him considering he was looking for a striker yet he went for Daka instead.

As for his numbers in Scotland. You always have to take those in context. The likes of Gary Hooper, Jan Vennegoor of Heseling, kris Boyd etc have been scoring for fun up there. His numbers then don't look anything special. The season before last he was out scored by Alfredo Morelos for example. Also if you watch Celtic games you will realise they have about 65% possession against most teams in the league. They're usually camped out in the opposition's penalty area. They create loads of chances. Any decent striker should in theory be bagging a hat full of goals. Which makes it very hard to judge strikers for me. So what I mainly look at is anything exceptional, whether that be incredible speed, finishing, passing etc. I haven't seen any of those. At least when Moussa Dembele was playing up there I could see he had great finishing ability.
Can you remember a good few years ago wenger let a young striker leave for Scotland. He had a purple patch and everyone thought it was a big mistake.
It wasnt 😁
edouard would be a massive gamble.
As you say Rodgers would have surely taken him if convinced.

Barry

Maybe Edouard is not the right player then, but someone with that profile and a bit of technical skill and hold up play to replace Laca makes a bit more sense than Tammy when we already have Auba and Martinelli in the books. That's my two cents.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Pogba and Varane are at the stage of their careers where this will be their last big move, just like Lacazette. The motivations for them to see out their contracts and move on a free are just as great, if not greater than they’d be for Lacazette.

These are uncertain times. Players can’t be sure the money is going to be there next season if it’s offered to them now. They’re also one injury away from the whole thing falling to pieces.
I would say its greater for those 2 as they are a level above laca.
If Laca hangs around next season and struggles different ballgame.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We signed Runnarson and the very next window had to go get a guy. Same energy.
When I look at our transfers the last few years, I do think we can spend about 100m a season without sales. That's a lot more money than I thought, and if we sold players we could do like 150 a season. I remember we were even gonna spend 90m on Lemar, we're no way near as poor as we act at times.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
When I look at our transfers the last few years, I do think we can spend about 100m a season without sales. That's a lot more money than I thought, and if we sold players we could do like 150 a season. I remember we were even gonna spend 90m on Lemar, we're no way near as poor as we act at times.
Apparently since 2016/17 we have spent £540m (£315m net). That is unbelievable as most of us think we are tight with money.

When we moved to the Emirates stadium, the first 7 years we either made a profit or spent very little. This is probably what we all remember and still makes us think we don't spent money even if the last few years we have been splashing the cash.

GDeep™

League is very weak
No serious club like Atletico will be in for him after a year of warming the bench while losing precious hairline.

Believing a player will automatically get millions because he's signing on a free is such a myth. Only the top ones get lavish offers.
I never said he’ll get a lavish offer, he obviously won’t, I’m talking 2-3M. Which for 30 year old Laca is very very on the reasonable side.

Wasn’t the Willian sign on fee a monster one?

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Our best and most consistent player last after KT and Holdini. Deservedly won player of the season before. Easily one of the top 10 strikers I've seen play for Arsenal.

Lacca isn't popular because he doesn't have 90 + pace on FIFA and he has muscular physique instead of a physique of a 12 year old boy like most footballers.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Our best and most consistent player last after KT and Holdini. Deservedly won player of the season before. Easily one of the top 10 strikers I've seen play for Arsenal.

Lacca isn't popular because he doesn't have 90 + pace on FIFA and he has muscular physique instead of a physique of a 12 year old boy like most footballers.

That's a funny way of saying he's fat, ngl.

Also, how old are you? No memes, honest question.

Because just in the last 20 or so years we had more than 10 strikers that are better than Lacazette...

In no particular order: RvP, Ade, Kanu, Henry, Bergkamp, Wrighty, Anelka, Wiltord, PEA, Eduardo and even Giroud.

Barry

That's a funny way of saying he's fat, ngl.

Also, how old are you? No memes, honest question.

Because just in the last 20 or so years we had more than 10 strikers that are better than Lacazette...

In no particular order: RvP, Ade, Kanu, Henry, Bergkamp, Wrighty, Anelka, Wiltord, PEA, Eduardo and even Giroud.

I'm not having Wiltord or Eduardo on that list. Agree with the others though, I guess Giroud is debatable.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Meh Giroud is debatable cause to me he was a pile of sh*t although some will disagree.

I’m not going to be mad at Laca for not being Wrighty or Henry. Looking across the strikers in the league and in world football, he’s doing ok.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
It's kind of mad we spent 100m on Auba and Laca within 6 months when I think about it, when do we ever spend money like that?
Wenger had to sign Auba because Alexis and Walcott left that window, you had replace the goals somehow...

Top Bottom