• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Lacazette has more to his "overall game" than Kane I would say. Lacazette is faster, better dribbler, better touch, better control and far better link up play.

Just because Lacazette played in the Ligue 1 doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to replicate or improve in his end product numbers in the PL like Henry and Adebayor.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Lacazette has more to his "overall game" than Kane I would say. Lacazette is faster, better dribbler, better touch, better control and far better link up play.

Just because Lacazette played in the Ligue 1 doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to replicate or improve in his end product numbers in the PL like Henry and Adebayor.

This is true. In France, Lacazette didn't have Özil, Alexis and some of the others he would be playing with at Arsenal feeding him. The competition may not have been as good, but neither was the squad around him. I can envision a lot of goals on the end of Özil's passes.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The biggest negative about Lacazette is that he doesn't really score headers.

To be a top striker in the English game you need to be competitive in the air, and from what I've seen of Lacazette he doesn't offer much in the air.

If we're going to add a striker, we should try for someone who can score headers in addition to having good technique and the attributes that Lacazette brings.

I wouldn't be upset if we signed Lacazette, but I'd expect him to struggle to win headers, and he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter over Welbeck or Giroud.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

To be a top striker in the English game you need to be competitive in the air, and from what I've seen of Lacazette he doesn't offer much in the air.

If we're going to add a striker, we should try for someone who can score headers in addition to having good technique and the attributes that Lacazette brings.

I wouldn't be upset if we signed Lacazette, but I'd expect him to struggle to win headers, and he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter over Welbeck or Giroud.

Suarez, Aguero, Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney, Tevez.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

No player is perfect. And it's true that because of his height Lacazette's aerial game will never be his biggest strength. But he does score on headers when the situation is right. Besides, I don't think it would be too big a deal in the Arsenal team anyway. The Gunners are not really a "lob crosses into the box" type of team. They're more inclined to make runs through the defense and get on the end of balls. And Lacazette's greatest strength is his finishing ability. That's something the team needs.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Kane and Lacazette had the same amount of headed goals last season.

I always find it a bonus when a striker is good in the air.

Also It's not like we boot it up the pitch when Giroud is playing (other than aiming for him from goal kicks). It's usually into his feet and he does a flick or passes it without looking first time with varying results.

OSBK

Established Member

Agree that it is a negative. However headed goals from top forwards in the epl is alot lower than you think. Kane only got 2 goals from headers last season, Özil matched that. Benteke,giroud,antionio are the names that dominate heading stats. Aguero,costa,kane dominate the footwork side. The most balanced forward last season was lukaku, 6 headed goals and a decent overall return.

I would hope that lacazette could emulate aguero in his play style which is very similar. Start of last season we looked electric when we used fast passing and speed, the frontline of sanchez,laca,Özil/mahrez would be very potent

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Also It's not like we boot it up the pitch when Giroud is playing (other than aiming for him from goal kicks). It's usually into his feet and he does a flick or passes it without looking first time with varying results.
For real, the amount of times Giroud could have put someone in behind if he just delayed the ****ing pass a bit.:mad:

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Agree that it is a negative. However headed goals from top forwards in the epl is alot lower than you think. Kane only got 2 goals from headers last season, Özil matched that. Benteke,giroud,antionio are the names that dominate heading stats. Aguero,costa,kane dominate the footwork side. The most balanced forward last season was lukaku, 6 headed goals and a decent overall return.

I would hope that lacazette could emulate aguero in his play style which is very similar. Start of last season we looked electric when we used fast passing and speed, the frontline of sanchez,laca,Özil/mahrez would be very potent

If we signed Lacazette I wouldn't be upset, but his strength in the box will be really important.

We might not score a ton of headers, and there are other strikers in the EPL that have been successful without scoring a bunch of headers, but that doesn't mean that Lacazette doesn't need to be good at headers to succeed.

Aguero kind of proves the importance of being a good header of the ball. Clearly, heading isn't his strength, and with his size it never will be. But Aguero always finds a way to create space in the box to win a header. Sometimes his headers set somebody else up for a goal, or draw a defender out of position. For a small striker who does not score a bunch of headers, he always finds a way to be dangerous in the box with his head.

Lacazette might be able to contribute how Aguero does. I honestly haven't watched enough Lyon matches to say either way. Based on his size, he'll need to emulate Aguero's prowess to succeed.

And while we do play with the ball on the ground most of the time, we have spent about four season sending balls in the box for someone to head, since Giroud joined the team. So we need a striker who is good in the air.

Lacazette will need to learn from the other smaller strikers who have successfully found a way to compete for headers if he wants to be an elite player in this league.

And I admit, he may already have this skill and I haven't seen it because I haven't watch Lyon much this season, but this is my biggest hesitation about him as a player.

Besides that, he's a top striker.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
If we signed Lacazette I wouldn't be upset, but his strength in the box will be really important.

We might not score a ton of headers, and there are other strikers in the EPL that have been successful without scoring a bunch of headers, but that doesn't mean that Lacazette doesn't need to be good at headers to succeed.

Aguero kind of proves the importance of being a good header of the ball. Clearly, heading isn't his strength, and with his size it never will be. But Aguero always finds a way to create space in the box to win a header. Sometimes his headers set somebody else up for a goal, or draw a defender out of position. For a small striker who does not score a bunch of headers, he always finds a way to be dangerous in the box with his head.

Lacazette might be able to contribute how Aguero does. I honestly haven't watched enough Lyon matches to say either way. Based on his size, he'll need to emulate Aguero's prowess to succeed.

And while we do play with the ball on the ground most of the time, we have spent about four season sending balls in the box for someone to head, since Giroud joined the team. So we need a striker who is good in the air.

Lacazette will need to learn from the other smaller strikers who have successfully found a way to compete for headers if he wants to be an elite player in this league.

And I admit, he may already have this skill and I haven't seen it because I haven't watch Lyon much this season, but this is my biggest hesitation about him as a player.

Besides that, he's a top striker.

The only way Lacazette could truly improve his ability with headers is to grow taller. That isn't going to happen. But he is very capable of using his head. He scored two goals in Ligue 1 with his head this past season. It doesn't sound like much, but Cavani only scored 5 and Falcao 4. He scored this header against Caen, which is very reminiscent of Aguero.

Besides, his feet are far more important to the way Arsenal plays than his head.

Fallout

havent watched enough of him to say anything meaningful. my main worry based on what ive read is whether hes good enough to create chances for himself and others without being fed all the time. when we come up against the buses, i know alexis and Özil (to a lesser extent) have the footwork and vision to break the defense, and i know giroud and welbeck (to a lesser extent) have the physicality. if lacazette has none of these traits and is basically an upgraded walcott (poacher who tries to get in behind) then im not really interested and we should be going after more. but again, i havent watched enough to form an opinion. honestly if welbeck had decent finishing he would get 20 goals for us. i want a welbeck who can finish.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Doesn't even get place in France 2nd team.

Vieira couldn't get ahead Deschamps or even Karembu in 98.

Sissoko has been ahead of the likes of Bakayoko, Tolisso and Kante under Deschamps.

T.silva couldn't even get into the Brazil squad under Dunga.

England's squad first choice CB is Stones despite Keane, Gibson, Maguire, Holding, Chambers, Mawson and Stephens all being far better.

Club legends Wright, Andy Cole, Fowler and Le God never made it at international level.

Judging a player's ability on poor manager choices from poor managers like Deschamps, Dunga, Hoddle and Southgate isn'the the best method of judging a player.

Last edited:

Vieira couldn't get ahead Deschamps or even Karembu in 98.

Sissoko has been ahead of the likes of Bakayoko, Tolisso and Kante under Deschamps.

T.silva couldn't even get into the Brazil squad under Dunga.

England's squad first choice CB is Stones despite Keane, Gibson, Maguire, Holding, Chambers, Mawson and Stephens all being far better.

Club legends Wright, Andy Cole, Fowler and Le God never made it at international level.

Judging a player's ability on poor manager choices from poor managers like Deschamps, Dunga, Hoddle and Southgate isn'the the best method of judging a player.

I wasn't judging his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom