• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Pato

Anzac

Established Member
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
La Liga Action ‏@BarcaRealHigh 3h
Brazil international and Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato is for sale in this January transfer window

Daily_Express ‏@Daily_Express 2h
Corinthians want £10m for Tottenham and Arsenal target Alexandre Pato <a class="postlink" href="http://dexpr.es/192Pl8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://dexpr.es/192Pl8E</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a punt?

10m - I though he was worth a shot when the talk was 16m,
but that was before the supposed blow up at training with his manager.
Seem like the situation has gone from one of them allowing him to go for the right price, to where they now want to sell.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
kofigunner said:
truth_hurts said:
A huge upgrade on Bendtner, really can't see this happening.
Reverse psychology :)?

Haha! not even that kofi I've just given the start and end of the Pato argument without any discussion!

On one hand a bargain basement risk with potentially very high rewards is very wenger like, particular for a player of Pato's age as Wenger has stated in the past that this is the ideal age for a footballer.

On the other hand signing a player as versatile (and as good) as Pato presents Wenger with the kind of selection dilemma's that are uncharacteristic of his squads. The competition for places in the forward line would be higher arguably then at any other time of his reign with established International starters such as Walcott, Podolski, Cazorla and Özil battling it out with Englands wonder kids Wilshere and Chamberlain battling it out with 2 players hopeful of starting for their countries at the next world cup in Giroud and Pato and that's not mentioning the ever reliable Rosicky of the promising Gnabry who has just signed a new contract.

10 players for 4 positions!! even take Gnabry and Rosicky out of the equation (no reason to!) we still have 2 players of international quality for every forward position. Talent wise Pato should be where Özil is now as one of the best under 25s in world football so at anything under 15m this does sound like a risk worth taking.

Then again so would Benzema at 20m and the less risky Benteke for a little bit more. which brings me back to the original statement:-

'A huge upgrade on Bendtner, really can't see this happening'

Mastadon

Established Member
There is no real competition for the strikers spot. Wenger certainly doesnt see Podolski and Walcott as anything other than emergency replacements in case Giroud doesnt play. For all the depth we have everywhere else our direct replacement for Giroud remains Bendtner.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Mastadon said:
There is no real competition for the strikers spot. Wenger certainly doesnt see Podolski and Walcott as anything other than emergency replacements in case Giroud doesnt play. For all the depth we have everywhere else our direct replacement for Giroud remains Bendtner.

Pato and Giroud are both at a stage in their careers where they need to be starting. If he came here I suspect a lot of Pato's starts would be in a wide forward position. I think Wenger ideally wants a more dynamic forward line like he has in his midfield where players can interchange so perhaps ideally Walcott and Podolski operate as wide forwards who feel very comfortable playing up front down the middle during stages of a game. Pato would be very similar in this respect - would be excellent foil for Giroud but not a like for like replacement.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/443554/Arsène-Wenger-in-the-hunt-for-former-AC-Milan-striker-Alexandre-Pato" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... andre-Pato</a>

Don't think we went in for him last Jan did we?

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Most reports are saying that he's had a falling out with the management at Corinthians, so I'm guessing these rumors have been put out there from agents.

However, I think he'd be a quality signing for us. It is hard to find quality players in January especially ones who are not cup tied and Pato bypasses both of those issues. Additionally, I think he's the right type of player for us.

He's at the right age, and offers something totally different than our other strikers. Theo is speed, Giroud is strength, and Podolski is finishing. Pato on the other hand has great technique, great movement and is a top quality finisher who can finish with both feet. Also, his flexibility would allow him to play all three attacking positions. He's not the biggest striker, but I think he's big enough to play CF, but he'd probably need to hit the gym a bit.

Watching highlights of Pato kind of reminds me of Eduardo. Neither had exceptional pace or strength, but they could still get past players. They linked well with their teammates, and they were creative and clinical in the box.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
You're underrating Pato's pace, he's way faster than Eduardo was, probably faster than everyone of our players bar Theo.

There are obviously big question marks over his injury record, but I wouldn't be against this signing in January either, preferably a loan with an option to buy.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
Post by Tim Stillman on Pato a fortnight ago.

It's true I don't often write about transfer speculation, but given my interest in Brasileirão, a fair few people have asked me about Arsenal's recent links to Corinthians' Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato, so I thought it was easier to write a short post on the reasons why I'm not taking this link too seriously.

Pato's reputation in Europe is of a potentially budding genius at Milan wrecked by persistent injuries. To an extent that is a true picture, of his time in Europe anyway. Though his relationship with Milan President and infamous politician Silvio Berlusconi's daughter Barbara was slightly more portentous of the Pato we see now. He is in the news in Brazil as much for his exploits with women as he is for his exploits on the pitch.

Pato signed for Corinthians in January and his fitness issues haven't been a problem. His form has. Frankly, he's been a bit of a disaster at Corinthians and it seems they have finally had enough of him. Earlier in the year, when Pato came under fire for a series of profligate performances in front of goal, his coach Tite was publicly very protective. However, his professionalism has been as lukewarm as his form and the club's stance has notably changed.

In September, after Corinthians lost 2-1 to local rivals São Paulo, Pato reportedly skipped the post match dressing down because he had tickets to see Beyonce in Rio. Gradually, Pato's involvement in the starting line up at Corinthians has not been considered a sure thing. His nadir came late in October when Corinthians faced Grêmio in the Copa do Brasil quarter final.

The match went to penalties and Pato had to score his spotkick lest Corinthians be eliminated. He tried an ill advised Panenka spot kick which was foiled. Even worse was that it was his old Milan clubmate Dida in the Grêmio goal that he tried to chip. It's conceivable that Dida faced Pato dozens of times from the spot in training during their A.C. days, so Dida probably wasn't the best goalie to try and kid.

This seems to have represented the breaking point with Corinthians. Less than 12 hours after the elimination was confirmed, the Brazilian press were reporting that coach Tite gave him a dressing down in the changing rooms and branded him 'an irresponsible kid' in front of his teammates. That the press in Brazil got hold of thethis leak so quickly is revealing I think.

Within a few days, a Corinthians director admitted that 'we do not rule out' the sale of Pato in January. Suddenly, the names of Arsenal and Sp**s have been linked as potential buyers. Given that Arsène Wenger often talks glowingly about players that love the game, Pato would be an unlikely fit for Wenger I think.

Usually these links become apparent in the press for a reason. Corinthians director Roberto De Andrade told Radio Bandeirantes: "Considering his value, I think it's hard that he moves to another Brazilian club.

'If those two clubs [Arsenal and Tottenham] are interested in Pato, we don't rule out selling him in the winter transfer market."

That Corinthians are publicly making the link makes the breadcrumb trail a little more visible. They've clearly been drip feeding the press and by name dropping, it looks as though they're trying to create a market by creating the illusion of interest. They're clearly desperate to sell.

Wenger has taken gambles in the past on supposed 'fallen angels', but I suspect the streak of professionalism in the squad of late would make him think very hard before doing so again. Having had his fingers burned with a team that contained the likes of Nasri, Adebayor, Song and Gallas, as well as less than industrious types such as Chamakh and Arshavin, I rather doubt Wenger either wants to or needs to take a gamble on a player like Alexandre Pato and risk upsetting this more pleasing chemistry that this squad seems to have.

So when Pato signs in January, I'll be sure to write a piece for you about why it might just work.....

UPDATE: I was quite honestly unaware of some quotes that have been released this afternoon from ex Arsenal midfielder and Corinthians Director of Football Edu, "If Arsenal really want Pato, a deal could be done." Call it confirmation bias, but I think this rather fits my point.

Source

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, if he doesn't have the right attitude then we shouldn't bring him anywhere near this club.

It's a shame. Quality player and with Edu working at Corinthians we definitely could get a good deal for him and Wenger definitely likes those.

kopzilla

Always Negative
I don't know much about Pato...but I think Corinthians is a **** team who hardly ever score any goals...

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
According to his stats this season Pato has 11 goals from 32 games well i was expecting better from him, anyway he is still young so a loan move will not hurt us if we failed to buy a quality striker.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Didn't realise he was still only 24. Wenger could get him on a 6 month option to buy loan and check him out first hand, risk free and potential world class player for another 7-8 years.

Song Billong

I'd be happy to see him brought in during the January window - especially if it's on loan with an option to buy. He seems like the kind of punt Wenger can take, a big talent who hasn't lived up to it for a variety of reasons.

Having said that could we be aiming higher (whoever thought we could legit say that refarding us and Pato?)? Realistically there won't be any other quality Strikers available in Jan, so a deal here would make sense.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcDIN8u-NQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcDIN8u-NQs</a>

He's finishing is still decent although he's clearly lost a yard of pace.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Even if he's lost a yard he'll still be quick. No slower than say a Poldi. He's still got very good footwork and technique, good eye for goal too. If we can get him playing at the level we know he can he'd be amazing with what we can create for him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A few rags reporting we've had a bid rejected. Not sure how I feel about this. I do trust Wenger when it comes to rescuing careers. How could you not? If Wenger says he's worth a shot, I'm all for it. At his best he's a beast.

Top Bottom