• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez: Off to the Old Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Alexis' frustration is being really overblown, and I think his intensity and passion for winning is becoming contagious within the squad.

We were down 3-0 and we found a way to tie the match 3-3, and at the end of the match no one was happy. I think some of the players who have been here longer than Alexis know that in previous seasons we would have lost that match. To them this draw is clearly a sign that we are improving and a large reason for this is that we have players like Alexis who refuse to lose, and everyone else knows that this is our standard.

I don't think Alexis likes being on the wing, and that he prefers playing CF, but most of all he hates losing. He'll play any attacking position if it helps us win.

Also, I think we shouldn't under estimate the difficulty of raising your intensity while also sustaining a technical level. Alexis is one of the fittest players in the world, and that is why he can do what he does.

Players don't just build up the strength to sustain an intense pressing style while still being skillful over night. Look at the difference an improved training regimen and not going to the Euros did to Theo's game, but that took months of prep during pre-season.

I think our attackers are getting better as the season progresses and they're building up the strength required to play the way that we need to play.

Our attacking numbers are really good this season and I don't think our attackers will get worse. Alexis (15 goals), Lucas (6), Özil (9), Giroud (8), Walcott (11), Ox (6), and Iwobi (3). Welbeck will score goals too.

Alexis should be smart enough to know that this team has some quality attacking options that are good enough to win any match. We all should be upset when we lose knowing how good our attackers are.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

My take on him so far this season: Sanchez's movement as a CF isn't good enough, his runs aren't particularly great and he finds himself out of position (either too deep or too wide) too often. When teams defend deep, he doesn't offer much in the middle. I think Wenger has also sussed that and Giroud will be playing more often from here on.

Most of his goals as CF have come from running up the score against dross like Sunderland, Bournemouth, West Ham and Hull (10 out of 15 of his entire tally have come against those teams). Apart from Chelsea, he hasn't scored in a tough match against a rival (like Sp**s, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd) and - on top of that - he was pretty poor and/or ineffective in those games. Not a raging success as a CF, but a good go, and I'm still desperate for a real striker in the summer.

Anybody who thinks his performances have been in any way comparable or talismanic as Henry in 06 or Van Persie in 11/12, then they're smoking strong stuff, and I hold them in the same esteem as a fat Doctor Who fangirl squeeing at the sight of Matt Smith in tweed. Van Persie was scoring in pretty much all the big games with a far worse team, for example.

Now, Sanchez has been by far our best player, but that's an indictment for the rest of the shower of **** that have blown another season. Him and Mustafi are the only ones I'd give higher than 5/10 so far.
This is what I was trying to say a few weeks back about him not shooting as much as you would want your striker too.

He's our best finisher but he's also our main creator so we still need someone upfront to finish the chances he creates.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
When have these average-technique, terrier-like teams won anything? Real Madrid, Farca and Bayern are the most recent winners of the CL and Germany won the World Cup. None of those had a player like Sanchez - one of those actually dumped him.

What you've described is Pochettinto's Tottenham rather than an actual good football team.

A team full of them have won major trophies pretty recently actually.

Chile-win-Copa-America.jpg

2803960_full-lnd.jpg

And instead of being dumped by them, Sanchez won MVP.

Chile like Arsenal arent the most talented squad in their major competition but to overcome the big boys (Argentina and Brazil's or in AFC's case the Mardid, Bayern and Barcas) you have to want it more and work your ass off to close the gap in talent to get it.

article-2632073-1DFBAEA600000578-640_634x442.jpg

Atletico were also combined like 2 mins from lifting the CL twice on top of this.

Dont be so quick to brush this "style" aside. Its can very much win you things and the player who embodies it at AFC knows this.

Malky

Established Member
Yeah but football is a team sport, no individual should be placed above reproach. Look at Martin Keown, he wasn't half the footballer say Henry or Bergkamp was but if they did something stupid he'd give them a bollocking.
You aint serious? Comparing Ramsey to Keown? o_O
Yeah Keown wasn't as talented as Henry or Bergkamp, but he was experienced, a leader and was very highly respected within the Arsenal squad. Ramsey is none of those!
A more suitable comparison would be Francis Jeffers having a go at Henry or Bergkamp!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The Alexis/Ramsey thing is just the press stirring things as they always do when it comes to Arsenal. As for Alexis being wrong, have a word. It's like Kovacic having a go at Ronaldo or Rafinha having a go at Suarez, they'd both get the same treatment back.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I kind of get what you're saying, but I don't think you're doing Alexis any justice there though. There's nothing 'average' about any aspect of his game. I know what you mean though. I think others do too tbh. ;)
Decision making maybe but definitely his one-footedness.

You left that too open, I had to. :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm not sure what I'm reading about Alexis here and elsewhere. Giroud may have scored and assisted but that come back was all Alexis.

He literally demanded the ball at every opportunity, took players on, fought for every ball. The amount of times he picked the ball up on the half way line and darted across trying to raise the team was unreal. It rubbed off on others. Ox picked up his game. Others to started responding. Alexis may have over hit a few passes he may have lost it a few times but he had unbelievable resilience and belief to keep going keep demanding keep trying. That's exactly what you want from your big players, your match winners, not someone that hides or passes responsibility.

Rewatch the game you can literally see the moment Alexis gets that bit between his teeth and he decided no we aren't losing this today.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

When have these average-technique, terrier-like teams won anything? Real Madrid, Farca and Bayern are the most recent winners of the CL and Germany won the World Cup. None of those had a player like Sanchez - one of those actually dumped him.

What you've described is Pochettinto's Tottenham rather than an actual good football team.
Man Utd have won how many European cups and leagues domestically what about Chelsea?

Our bread and butter is the league. Power and aggressive play are the key requirements. Everything else is secondary.

Man Utd have won how many European cups and leagues domestically what about Chelsea?

Our bread and butter is the league. Power and aggressive play are the key requirements. Everything else is secondary.

True. Teams should focus on their leagues and how teams traditional play there. We really should do that.

The meta always shift in Europe. Few years its all about italy teams, then english teams, then Spain teams, and it circle around and around. We focus on our self in the league, and if we are the best team there when europe meta shifts to English style of play we will take it!

Hunter Zolomon

A team full of them have won major trophies pretty recently actually.

Chile-win-Copa-America.jpg

2803960_full-lnd.jpg

And instead of being dumped by them, Sanchez won MVP.

Chile like Arsenal arent the most talented squad in their major competition but to overcome the big boys (Argentina and Brazil's or in AFC's case the Mardid, Bayern and Barcas) you have to want it more and work your ass off to close the gap in talent to get it.

article-2632073-1DFBAEA600000578-640_634x442.jpg

Atletico were also combined like 2 mins from lifting the CL twice on top of this.

Dont be so quick to brush this "style" aside. Its can very much win you things and the player who embodies it at AFC knows this.
how people can question grafting as a way to win awards after what happened with leicester, is strange to me.

sammy89

1. Ferguson's Man Utd. The only silky generation he had was in the Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney days. The rest of his teams were grafters above everything else. This accounts for most of the 90s, 00s and half of this decade so far.

2. Simeone's Atletico

3. Leicester last season

4. Chelsea this season has been mostly about a warrior-like tendency from Costa, Moses and Kante. I'm willing to bet that Chelsea will win the league without scoring even one goal of the season contender.

5. The Milan teams in their hey day.

When you mentioned Barca, Real and Bayern, those are the only teams in the world with both aggression and technique in spades. This is the Holy Grail, but players like this are super rare and expensive. If circumstances force you to choose one, we should be choosing with a bias towards aggression.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Most of the time I find him quite encouraging, it’s usually only in the later stages that stuff really starts to grate on him. I remember there was a moment recently were Ramsey/Özil turned away in disgust when Iwobi hit a bad pass, but Alexis applauded the effort.

Have to laugh how deliberately he ignores some players, like when Coq sprinted into an overlap position against West Brom. :lol:

He is , he's the only guy that gives the thumbs up everytime he gets a pass no matter how crap . He's especially patient with Ox.

Giroud contribution was also big only after 70 minute.

Read what I said idiot.
why am i the only one not allowed to be textually ag
Hate to seem like a Ramsey fan boy (because truthfully he is underperforming so far this season, but I'll save that for the other thread) but if you're referring to that moment where Alexis supposedly told Rambo to do one, Alexis was genuinely at fault. Monreal seriously hauled ass to give Sanchez an option and instead he selfishly skied one over the bar. I love Alexis as much as any gooner but he can make mistakes too, just like everybody else. And if you **** up an attacking play - whether your name is Sanchez, Ramsey, or Giroud - you should expect your teammates to tell you about it. It's no big deal, you acknowledge your fault and then you all get your heads down and crack on with the next one.

Regardless of how important Sanchez is to our squad, we gooners have to stop treating him and Özil like gods who are above everyone else. At the end of the day they are both just blokes kicking a football about.
you say he was at fault, i say he saw an opportunity and took it, you dont do that you cant win. how many times have arsenal won because of a selfish shoot on target from alexis
if we do offer him a huge wage and he signs, but continues to be frustrated and shows it if we don't win anything, then surely we would be better off cashing in on him for as much as we can get

I'd rather replace him at the end of the season than see the team disrupted - a frustrated Alexis seems hell-bent on trying to win games single-handedly, and it isn't working
Of course Ramsey can have a go at Alexis if he's doing something wrong ffs.

Anyone can, no ones above the team.

what exactly did he do wrong? shooting when he saw an opportunity? or not shooting well enough to score? was it a decision or a precision issue what ****ed off ramsey? because i remember many both players and fans celebrating shooting decisions from alexis, and also remember many shoots from other arsenal players that went open wide and nobody reacted like him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom