• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
We're different people.

Never been interested in speculations built on flimsy evidence. People make one assumption, then another, then another and before you know it, they're obssessed about something that's built on sand. That's how lynch mob's work and why people believe in the paranormal and deities.

There's plenty of data in football for people to use in their arguments. But the main problem is that people don't like what the data shows. So they have to mock statistics to keep their narrative.

You mentioned defence. If you think a defence looks tactically poor on the pitch, you look to see if we're shipping goals. If we are, it supports your observations .. like this season. But if we're keeping clean sheets and not conceding goals only an idiot keeps saying our defence is sh*t. That's what happened in 2015/16 . . the waffle on this forum was unbearable.
But the evidence isn't flimsy.

Contracts running down- RVP, Sanchez, Özil, Nasri, Sagna, Clichy and Toure all left (or will leave) with <12 months left on their contract.

Nasri, Sagna, Clichy, Toure and Adebayor all left to City when we were in at least as good a position to win trophies. At the time, we should have been able to match the wages (I made the example with Nasri), or better yet tie them down before it becomes an issue, but for one reason or another we did not.

Arteta, Mertesacker, Jenkinson, Debuchy, Coquelin, Walcott and Rosicky have all been awarded wages hugely disproportionate to their contribution to the club. Wilshere was given one if not two wage increases when he was averaging 5-10 games a season with us due to constant injury problems.

The argument that we are not strong with players contracts is not built on sand. It's more a case that you purposely being ignorant of any point being made.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
If you say so. I'd say negotiating in good faith and shifting the goal posts is completely the same regardless of who the player is and their worth.
But the club made it clear from the beginning they wanted Mkhitaryan as part exchange. That would obviously include cash because there's no way that the two players have a similar value, regardless of Alexis' contract situation. Shifting of the goal posts would insinuate that they made demands after a deal had been agreed, but they've been up front since the start. Surely United weren't naive enough to think that this would be a straight swap?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

But the club made it clear from the beginning they wanted Mkhitaryan as part exchange. That would obviously include cash because there's no way that the two players have a similar value, regardless of Alexis' contract situation. Shifting of the goal posts would insinuate that they made demands after a deal had been agreed, but they've been up front since the start. Surely United weren't naive enough to think that this would be a straight swap?
I don't know because the speculation has been rife. City offers 20m we want 35m, United come into the equation rumour of Alexis swapping with Martial and us giving United cash as well changed to a straight swap between Alexis and Mkhitaryan to now the former plus United giving us cash.

Mkhitaryan cost 30m several years left on his deal. Alexis cost 35m and has 6 months left. Are United being niave I'm not so certain they may well feel that in this market a proven player like Mkhitaryan has retained a lot of his value and Alexis may have lost some of his given City offered only 20m for him and no more. They are usually the ones pushing prices up not down. And his contract clearly matters or we wouldn't be looking the rumoured 35m but the 60/70m we were looking in the summer.

Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Are United being niave I'm not so certain they may well feel that in this market a proven player like Mkhitaryan has retained a lot of his value and Alexis may have lost some of his given City offered only 20m for him and no more. They are usually the ones pushing prices up not down.
That's the only place I'd disagree, I think Mkhi's stock as gone down quite a bit in his time at United (rightly or wrongly). They are reportedly willing to spend £35m on Alexis in a cash only deal so if we assume Mkhi is a £25m player, adding £10m to the deal with him is not unreasonable.

Twiiggy

That's the only place I'd disagree, I think Mkhi's stock as gone down quite a bit in his time at United (rightly or wrongly). They are reportedly willing to spend £35m on Alexis in a cash only deal so if we assume Mkhi is a £25m player, adding £10m to the deal with him is not unreasonable.

I think player valuations are very subjective. Say for instance we sold Alexis to City and we were to offer Utd, 25 million for Mkhi, they'd laugh at us and tell us a to do one, simply because he still has a few years left and it'd make no sense selling him to a rival for chicken change (In Utd's eyes).

Think we need to all come to terms with this transfer and actually accept that it is the best case scenario for us and we either get Mkhi, or lose Alexis for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom