• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I think Nasri was good for City. He had a 2-3 month purple patch at Arsenal, but he kept his overall level at City imo.

RVP absolutely replicated his form at Man Utd, shot them straight to the title.

Clichy was not a top player, but he was a starter and went to City and started there as well.

Fabregas was good at Barca, but he didn't have an entire team built around him. He was ****ing superb in his first season at Chelsea though, was a centerpiece for their title run that season.

Szczesny is currently out on loan and out-performing your starting keeper.

Not sure I agree that your top players don't perform elsewhere. Some have flopped, sure, but the same can be said for players joining Arsenal and being **** compared to their previous club.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I think Nasri was good for City. He had a 2-3 month purple patch at Arsenal, but he kept his overall level at City imo.

Clichy was not a top player, but he was a starter and went to City and started there as well.

Fabregas was good at Barca, but he didn't have an entire team built around him. He was ****ing superb in his first season at Chelsea though, was a centerpiece for their title run that season.

Not sure I agree that your top players don't perform elsewhere. Some have flopped, sure, but the same can be said for players joining Arsenal and being **** compared to their previous club.
Most of the ones who didn't perform either weren't that special(Flamini) had attitude problems(Adebayor) or were past it physically(Paddy, Thierry).

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I would definitely want Alexis to stay at the club.

If he wants to leave though, then so be it. It will certainly be a loss, and I wish Alexis well in replicating his status here at a bigger club.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Nasri was a good signing for City, he didn't get to the level he showed in his best season here at any point for them though. Scored the same amount of league goals for us as he did at City despite playing in Manchester two years longer. Either way, he's since been deemed surplus by Pep.

Van Judas is the only really credible example of form replication IMO. Even still, he tailed off for a good month and a half for Yanited that season- people seem to forget. That's why even though they won the league, they were poor in other competitions. Van Judas bagged 30 league goals for us in his last season.

Cesc had a good start at Barca and was then deemed surplus. Had a good start at Chelski too before slowly being benched. Anyhow, no way has Cesc been at his Arsenal level anywhere else. At his peak here, the only central midfielder in the PL comparable was Steven Gerrard.

Then there's other examples of players who left and faded into obscurity. Hleb, Adebayor, Clichy as you mentioned, Toure, Vermaelen- take your pick

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
How did Clichy fade into obscurity? Everyone knew he was average as **** here, yet he went to City, started for them and won the league.

Vermaelen was absolute **** for the last year or two at Arsenal, everyone laughed on here when Barca picked him up for £15m. The rest you mentioned are almost a decade old transfers.

I think Fabregas was very close if not on point for his average Arsenal season when he joined Chelsea. He literally passed them to the title in half a season, allowing them to just cruise for the remainder of the season. Fabregas was typically a tale of half-seasons for Arsenal as well.

I think the old examples don't hold up anymore as you know buy quality and your top players are genuine class, not patchy prospects. Not to mention some of them have already shown their class at other clubs and/or their national teams. Do you really think Özil or Sanchez would fall into obscurity if they left? Özil was already seen as a world class playmaker before joining Arsenal and Sanchez had a great season for Barca.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Fabregas was never nor will ever be even close to what he was at us. Not even close
Clichy was superb at Arsenal but started fading away in his last season here. Went to city and won the league, but was a solid player, not even close what he used to be here.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
In no ****ing world has Clichy ever been superb, come the **** on :lol: His first season at City was pretty much on point for his best seasons at Arsenal. He faded later obviously because of age but he was never superb, very suspect defensively and prone to making a big mistakes.

Fabregas is debatable but then again we're also comparing a prime physical Fabregas to his 3+ year older body. His physical attributes were pretty good while at Arsenal, but he had a lot of injuries which probably made him fade earlier than you normally would, not to mention starting 35 games a season since being a teenager.

That has nothing to do with not being able to replicate his Arsenal form elsewhere though. He wouldn't have been able to replicate his Arsenal form if he'd stayed, so it's a moot point really. His Chelsea body and the body that dribbled from midfield and scored against Tottenham are miles apart.

Still, considering his body wasn't the same, what he did at Chelsea was thoroughly impressive and probably on point for what he would have been able to do at Arsenal at that stage in his career.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
How did Clichy fade into obscurity? Everyone knew he was average as **** here, yet he went to City, started for them and won the league.

Vermaelen was absolute **** for the last year or two at Arsenal, everyone laughed on here when Barca picked him up for £15m. The rest you mentioned are almost a decade old transfers.

I think Fabregas was very close if not on point for his average Arsenal season when he joined Chelsea. He literally passed them to the title in half a season, allowing them to just cruise for the remainder of the season. Fabregas was typically a tale of half-seasons for Arsenal as well.

I think the old examples don't hold up anymore as you know buy quality and your top players are genuine class, not patchy prospects. Not to mention some of them have already shown their class at other clubs and/or their national teams. Do you really think Özil or Sanchez would fall into obscurity if they left? Özil was already seen as a world class playmaker before joining Arsenal and Sanchez had a great season for Barca.

There was a time where Clichy was one of the top LBs in the league for us, he was fantastic in 2007-08. Has he ever been at that level since leaving? Nowhere near. He and Kolarov battled it out for LB at City, Clichy was hardly one of the first names on the teamsheet.

In all honestly Vermaelen and Clichy aren't the main examples and you know they're not. But still, they've yet to show the level they showed here elsewhere. Vermaelen was fantastic for us in 2009-10.

As good as Cesc was for Chelski, no way was he Arsenal-level good for them in their title winning season. He got loads of assists but scored a handful of goals, Cesc at his best here got double figures for both and would tear teams apart. You're making it seem as if Diego Costa and Eden Hazard (who won the POTY award) had little impact. He didn't "literally pass them to the title." That's rubbish.

Özil and Alexis wouldn't fall into obscurity if they left, of course not. It would be interesting to see if Alexis could do elsewhere what he's doing here. The fade into obscurity comment was mainly about the Hleb's and Adebayor's. Both got a decent move after leaving us, didn't achieve the level they got to whilst here and are now playing for clubs you'd probably struggle to pronounce.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Nasri was a good signing for City, he didn't get to the level he showed in his best season here at any point for them though. Scored the same amount of league goals for us as he did at City despite playing in Manchester two years longer. Either way, he's since been deemed surplus by Pep.

Van Judas is the only really credible example of form replication IMO. Even still, he tailed off for a good month and a half for Yanited that season- people seem to forget. That's why even though they won the league, they were poor in other competitions. Van Judas bagged 30 league goals for us in his last season.

Cesc had a good start at Barca and was then deemed surplus. Had a good start at Chelski too before slowly being benched. Anyhow, no way has Cesc been at his Arsenal level anywhere else. At his peak here, the only central midfielder in the PL comparable was Steven Gerrard.

Then there's other examples of players who left and faded into obscurity. Hleb, Adebayor, Clichy as you mentioned, Toure, Vermaelen- take your pick

Yeah agree , Nasri reached nowhere near what he did for us , LOL he was not very good for City at all . All we have to do is look at the comments in the football forum for both of them .

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
The thing is, at the time City's money came in they could absorb lesser players into the system and still win titles with them. Still can't believe that Clichy starts for City at times, or that Saga still plays for them.

Last edited:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
As good as Cesc was for Chelski, no way was he Arsenal-level good for them in their title winning season. He got loads of assists but scored a handful of goals, Cesc at his best here got double figures for both and would tear teams apart. You're making it seem as if Diego Costa and Eden Hazard (who won the POTY award) had little impact. He didn't "literally pass them to the title." That's rubbish.

Cesc completely disappeared after Christmas that season, but they were already top with only City within 10 points. He created 16 goals in half a season. If that's not close to prime Cesc, I don't know what is. Yes, he faded badly as he had a tendency to do (even late in his Arsenal career), but at peak in that season he was close if not on point to his Arsenal level.

Stats-wise, he was top of touches per game in the league by miles. This being a guy in a new team. When I say he passed them to the title, I meant that they finally got a creative presence in midfield that could create goals and spray passes. Naming Hazard and Costa doesn't really change anything, Hazard was better than Cesc at that point in his career and Costa is a striker. Costa did only score 20 goals in the league tbf, behind both Aguero and Kane.

He ended the season with 21 assists and 5 goals, which was about on point for his average Arsenal season. I know he scored 15 in the league once but that wasn't his actual level, he was never able to replicate that. He wasn't even close the following season while he was still playing for Arsenal.

Yeah agree , Nasri reached nowhere near what he did for us , LOL he was not very good for City at all . All we have to do is look at the comments in the football forum for both of them .

Nasri was derided constantly on here for being a guy who just passed it sideways on the wing and did nothing. The amount of times he was called variation of *****, ball-less **** and the likes was.. significant. He had a ridiculous 2-3 month purple patch where he scored a bunch of goals, and then he disappeared again.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/t...or-november-was-samir-nasri-squawka-analysis/

Had to look it up to make sure my memory didn't deceive me. It was the 13/14 season where he found his legs at City and played VERY well, creating and scoring goals while being his usual secure self. He only had one good season for them, but he was very good that season and easily on par with his Arsenal days, if not better.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Yes, Clichy was superb at Arsenal. He started losing it before he left and never reached his level again. Once again, Fabregas at Arsenal is far better than he ever came even close to, be it Barca or Chelsea.
Is it his 3 year older body or whichever other reason you got, it changes nothing. We are talking football, those 2 footballers, and many more, never outplayed their AFC careers

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
In no ****ing world has Clichy ever been superb, come the **** on :lol: His first season at City was pretty much on point for his best seasons at Arsenal.
There was a time when he was first name on the sheet for me, personally. He was superb imo. He was half the player at City.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Yes, Clichy was superb at Arsenal. He started losing it before he left and never reached his level again. Once again, Fabregas at Arsenal is far better than he ever came even close to, be it Barca or Chelsea.
Is it his 3 year older body or whichever other reason you got, it changes nothing. We are talking football, those 2 footballers, and many more, never outplayed their AFC careers

There was a time when he was first name on the sheet for me, personally. He was superb imo. He was half the player at City.

Diaby got better the longer he was out injured and apparently Clichy's time away from the AFC has raised his game aswell. :lol:

He was never superb. Poor defender who didn't understand how to play the offside trap, yet rarely if ever threatening going forward and he couldn't cross to save his life despite being the "attacking" FB with Sagna on the other side. Bar his pace he was a nothing player really.

Nobody cared we moved him on to a rival and that says everything.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Cesc completely disappeared after Christmas that season, but they were already top with only City within 10 points. He created 16 goals in half a season. If that's not close to prime Cesc, I don't know what is. Yes, he faded badly as he had a tendency to do (even late in his Arsenal career), but at peak in that season he was close if not on point to his Arsenal level.

Stats-wise, he was top of touches per game in the league by miles. This being a guy in a new team. When I say he passed them to the title, I meant that they finally got a creative presence in midfield that could create goals and spray passes. Naming Hazard and Costa doesn't really change anything, Hazard was better than Cesc at that point in his career and Costa is a striker. Costa did only score 20 goals in the league tbf, behind both Aguero and Kane.

He ended the season with 21 assists and 5 goals, which was about on point for his average Arsenal season. I know he scored 15 in the league once but that wasn't his actual level, he was never able to replicate that. He wasn't even close the following season while he was still playing for Arsenal.

Nasri was derided constantly on here for being a guy who just passed it sideways on the wing and did nothing. The amount of times he was called variation of *****, ball-less **** and the likes was.. significant. He had a ridiculous 2-3 month purple patch where he scored a bunch of goals, and then he disappeared again.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/t...or-november-was-samir-nasri-squawka-analysis/

Had to look it up to make sure my memory didn't deceive me. It was the 13/14 season where he found his legs at City and played VERY well, creating and scoring goals while being his usual secure self. He only had one good season for them, but he was very good that season and easily on par with his Arsenal days, if not better.

Sorry mate , Nasri was one of my favourite players here , played better than just 2-3 month purple patch for us and scored 15 goals ,he's not come close to that with City ever.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Close between Diaby, Diawara, Sanogo and Traore for the worst player to play for Arsenal under Wenger.

BobP

Memri Fan
Close between Diaby, Diawara, Sanogo and Traore for the worst player to play for Arsenal under Wenger.

Bullshit, goes to show how minuscule your knowledge of football is, Diaby was an exceptional footballer.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Bullshit, goes to show how minuscule your knowledge of football is, Diaby was an exceptional footballer.

So sad that the effects of that c*nt's 'tackle' turned a wonderful talent into a figure of ridicule.
How anyone can say he was a bad player, let alone the worst we've had, is completely beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom