• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Mate, with all due respect I disagree that one needs a psychologist to turn him into a winner. Every professional footballer has a winning attitude otherwise we would've all been one (I'm not referring to you. Everybody on here knows that you're Giroud version of the goalies).

We don't win major trophies simply because we are not good enough. The Invincibles never rested on their laurels as well, not because they had winning attitude but rather they were talented team who would've never lost to Birmingham City in a cup final. They would've never lost to a second string Swansea at home, they'd have never been thrashed by Southampton, they'd never lost to Watford at home in FA cup, simply because they're far more talented than the current team.

Can you imagine the final score if this overrated team played against the Invincibles? Do you think Kos or Gabriel could handle Thierry? Bellerin against Pires and Monreal against Freddi? Both Lauren and Ashley Cole would have had Sanchez in their back pockets, and don't even get me started with Özil against Vieira and Gilberto.

Every footballer would love to win trophies and 'winning attitude' is got nothing to do with it. Did Norwich and Newcastle got relegated just because they didn't have a 'winning attitude'?. Did Barcelona lose to Atletico because they didn't have winning attitude?

If winning attitude isn't a thing, how do you explain Ferguson managing to compete for the title consistently for more than two decades? Yes, he had great players at times, but let us not forget that he at times played Fabio and Rafael on the wings and won fairly easily against you lot.

The guy walked the league in his final year with Evans, Valencia, Cleverley, Welbeck, late-30s Giggs and Scholes, Rafael and Ashley Young as mainstays in the starting XI.

Yes, he had Robin Van Persie up front, but you had that the season before and barely made it into the top 4 with 70 points. Man Utd won the league with 89 points.

You can say "winning mentality" is not a thing, but then you'd be discrediting decades of research. There's a reason why every single professional team has a psychologist (or a mental health coach) on staff; it's not like clubs like wasting money, no?

It's a thing. Unless you want to call Ferguson a ****ing tactical deity, somehow getting it right every season for more than two decades.

http://believeperform.com/performance/creating-winning-mentality/

It's not just in sports btw. It's been proven that it's something that naturally fades as you get older and you become more of a "team player" in the sense that you want others - usually your immediate family and close friends - to succeed. Might sound good, but in reality it's a detriment as it can put a damper on your ambition.

Could ramble about this for ages as I've been suffering through lectures of this for close to a decade now :lol: But it is a very real thing. It also explains why teams going into slumps and crazy winning streaks - I mean, what do you think "form" is?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How can one define winning attitude? If Alexis has got a winning attitude, then he should pass the ball to his teammates who are in a better position than him, and he should also take care of the ball much more than he's shown so far. Do you think Giroud wouldn't wanna win trophies? Winning attitude is another fancy BS words contrived by a fat ****** who's never played football a day in his life.

totally agree. this pseudo-psychoanalysis by arm chair psychaitrists in football is ridiculous. same people are experts of body alnguage analysis too and diagnosed Özil with not caring at all and being mentall weak...

until he starting getting assist after assist and they seemed to shut up. even though his posture and languid playing style are still exactly the same.

musicmonkey

Established Member
I think it's too easy for armchair pundits to boil football psychology down to wanting to see the passion they feel for their team.

Too many fans get suckered into thinking someone tearing about the pitch like he's lost his head and shouting like a lunatic constitutes a winning mentality.

If football was like that we'd have 11 Lee Catermole's.

If anything i think players like Wilshere might benefit from focusing on calming down a little and concentrating on nailing down some of the simplest aspects of their game.

Not the same level but i used to do it myself, i'd get all G'ed up before a game and lose focus on positioning and play worse because of it.

It's not a black and white thing and mentality is a far over-used cliche most of the time.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Not the same level but i used to do it myself, i'd get all G'ed up before a game

giphy.gif

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
If winning attitude isn't a thing, how do you explain Ferguson managing to compete for the title consistently for more than two decades? Yes, he had great players at times, but let us not forget that he at times played Fabio and Rafael on the wings and won fairly easily against you lot.

The guy walked the league in his final year with Evans, Valencia, Cleverley, Welbeck, late-30s Giggs and Scholes, Rafael and Ashley Young as mainstays in the starting XI.

Yes, he had Robin Van Persie up front, but you had that the season before and barely made it into the top 4 with 70 points. Man Utd won the league with 89 points.

You can say "winning mentality" is not a thing, but then you'd be discrediting decades of research. There's a reason why every single professional team has a psychologist (or a mental health coach) on staff; it's not like clubs like wasting money, no?

It's a thing. Unless you want to call Ferguson a ****ing tactical deity, somehow getting it right every season for more than two decades.

http://believeperform.com/performance/creating-winning-mentality/

It's not just in sports btw. It's been proven that it's something that naturally fades as you get older and you become more of a "team player" in the sense that you want others - usually your immediate family and close friends - to succeed. Might sound good, but in reality it's a detriment as it can put a damper on your ambition.

Could ramble about this for ages as I've been suffering through lectures of this for close to a decade now :lol: But it is a very real thing. It also explains why teams going into slumps and crazy winning streaks - I mean, what do you think "form" is?

It's not fair to ONLY use Fergie as an example. As great as he was, let's not underestimate the helping hand that he'd received from his henchmen over the year from Mike Riley all the way to Howard Webb. Call me bitter if you will, but as an Arsenal fan, I've watched many games where we were 'defeated' by the referees rather than Fergie's teams.

Also it's not fair to use Arsène or Arsenal in this argument as it's been ages since we've last been a real threat to Fergie or his teams over the years. Chelsea and City were not real threats like Arsène once was, only Mourinho had the fortune to last long, and we all know what's the head to head between the two.

All I'm saying is, the word 'Winning Attitude' is BS. Show me any sportsman that doesn't wanna win trophies and I'll show you a liar. Every footballer got to where he's at today because of talent and a lucky break.

I know tons of guys who are more talented than half of our team, and they all play in the Sunday league not because they lacked 'Winning Attitude' but rather they were not as lucky as Julien Faubert or Ali Dia.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Mate, with all due respect I disagree that one needs a psychologist to turn him into a winner. Every professional footballer has a winning attitude otherwise we would've all been one (I'm not referring to you. Everybody on here knows that you're Giroud version of the goalies).

We don't win major trophies simply because we are not good enough. The Invincibles never rested on their laurels as well, not because they had winning attitude but rather they were talented team who would've never lost to Birmingham City in a cup final. They would've never lost to a second string Swansea at home, they'd have never been thrashed by Southampton, they'd never lost to Watford at home in FA cup, simply because they're far more talented than the current team.

Can you imagine the final score if this overrated team played against the Invincibles? Do you think Kos or Gabriel could handle Thierry? Bellerin against Pires and Monreal against Freddi? Both Lauren and Ashley Cole would have had Sanchez in their back pockets, and don't even get me started with Özil against Vieira and Gilberto.

Every footballer would love to win trophies and 'winning attitude' is got nothing to do with it. Did Norwich and Newcastle got relegated just because they didn't have a 'winning attitude'?. Did Barcelona lose to Atletico because they didn't have winning attitude?
Winning attitude is just one thing. Like lots of people you are over simplifying and that's fine. One trait doesn't win but a blend of traits is required. That's why team sports are beautiful but you get a mixture of abilities and blend them together whereas individual sports need to have that blend themselves. Ferguson is a good example of driven to win and that should be the main thing in a manager. Other qualities are secondary.

But just don't narrow it down and say how does that explain Newcastle or whoever. Like I've said it's one characteristic, for a manager it should be the dominant one, relied upon by secondary and tertiary qualities. The same applies to players. No point having a team of technicians who can be shoulder barged same way no point having 11 Lee Cattermoles.

Santa Clause, Lord Jesus and his friends, Rothschild family, flying save in airplane, winning attitude. Its all real if you want to. You are the maker of your own reality.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

By the way we should sell everyone who's bothered by Alexis' attitude. Bunch of losers.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I know tons of guys who are more talented than half of our team, and they all play in the Sunday league not because they lacked 'Winning Attitude' but rather they were not as lucky as Julien Faubert or Ali Dia.

I absolutely hate it every time I see someone say this ****. It's just not true, you have absolutely no idea what it takes to perform at the highest level.

Welbeck might stick out like a sore thumb at Arsenal, but the lad was still ****ting on everyone else at youth level and the standout from Man Utd's academy. Yes, luck is involved, but you're talking about some of the best players in the world, players that have been relentlessly scrutinized for YEARS before actually breaking into the starting XI of the best teams in the world.

I see this on a yearly basis. Do you remember Kristoffer Olsson? Failed Arsenal prospect, never broke through. He's currently ****ting on everyone in the Danish league, by far one of, if not THE most talented player in the league right now. The guy wasn't/isn't even good enough for the worst teams in the Prem.

Talent isn't just tekkers. You need to be at a ridiculous level technically to even have a chance of playing in the Prem, and what separates the elite from the "****ters" is the mental game, both on and off the pitch.

I assure you, put Faubert up top for a sunday league team and you'd be witnessing the most devastating striker ever to play at that level. These guys play football 6 days per week, have done since they were kids and have been coached by the best coaches in the world. They were all the standouts from their youth teams. ALL of them.

I mean ****, Petr ****ing Cech was a standout winger at youth level ffs.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Winning attitude is just one thing. Like lots of people you are over simplifying and that's fine. One trait doesn't win but a blend of traits is required. That's why team sports are beautiful but you get a mixture of abilities and blend them together whereas individual sports need to have that blend themselves. Ferguson is a good example of driven to win and that should be the main thing in a manager. Other qualities are secondary.

But just don't narrow it down and say how does that explain Newcastle or whoever. Like I've said it's one characteristic, for a manager it should be the dominant one, relied upon by secondary and tertiary qualities. The same applies to players. No point having a team of technicians who can be shoulder barged same way no point having 11 Lee Cattermoles.

Every footballer has a winning attitude otherwise they would'n't have become a professional footballer. Attitude doesn't win you trophies but talent does.

We live in a country where Özil is accused (And I've seen few Gooners on this forum agree) of lacking a 'winning attitude' and James Milner & Henderson praised simply because one doesn't run around all day long like headless chicken and fly into tackles.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Quite funny really, reading transfermarkt.de and Bayern fans want Alexis and Bellerin.

Bluemoon have threads on Alexis, Bellerin, Wilshere and Ox.

No **** wants Walcott though.
Have you seen their Pogba thread? 3000 pages ffs.

One of their posters is ITK and has been telling them they've got Pogba sorted for years now, also telling them that there's something going on with Sanchez. If he signs elsewhere I'll probably join up to troll them.:lol:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Every footballer has a winning attitude otherwise they would'n't have become a professional footballer. Attitude doesn't win you trophies but talent does.

We live in a country where Özil is accused (And I've seen few Gooners on this forum agree) of lacking a 'winning attitude' and James Milner & Henderson praised simply because one doesn't run around all day long like headless chicken and fly into tackles.

You're confusing running around like a headless chicken with having a winning attitude, they have nothing to do with each other. British pundits are ****ing worthless, the troglodyte lovefest for players who run a lot and throw themselves into dangerous tackles is dumb. We all know this.

Having a winning mentality is the ability to perform when things aren't going your way, to perform under pressure and not get torn apart by outside factors. It's got nothing to do with chasing a ball around, ****ing everyone can do that.

Henry was the personification of a winning mentality. The guys knew he would score, always. I mean ffs he ****ing picked where he would put the ball in the net before he even looked at the keeper :lol: He never doubted his own ability.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Have you seen their Pogba thread? 3000 pages ffs.

One of their posters is ITK and has been telling them they've got Pogba sorted for years now, also telling them that there's something going on with Sanchez. If he signs elsewhere I'll probably join up to troll them.:lol:
They wanted Wilshere last year and ended up with Delph. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom