• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

All or Nothing - Mikel Arteta ( and Arsenal ) - Amazon Prime

Which one?

• All

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 47 81.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Somebody needs to make a compilation of Mike's drawings. What an artist...simply wants to draw his way into the minds of the players. Who needs a coach when you have the Spanish Pablo Picasso at the helm.
I wonder if Wenger was the French Toulouse Lautrec?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I've always maintained Xhaka has been a disaster for this club but I have no ill will. We shouldn't have exposed him to so many situations he's not capable of traversing. The abuse he got is horrific
He's been ok - just not what we hoped for, and was repeatedly put in positions to expose his weaknesses.

No coincidence that his Nadir came under Unai Emery, who seemed to think playing Torreira at 10 and asking Xhaka to cover 60 yards of space when mobility has always his issue, was a good idea. So Xhaka looked terrible, a loose cannon and like he wasn't trying - but Unai managed to create a system that used none of his strengths, exposed all his weaknesses, and then played him every week. It was that that made me want Emery gone even before the worst run of results. He managed to abandon most of what worked well in his first half season and then kept hanging his players out to dry with what he was asking from them on the pitch.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Arteta is coming across as very good in this series. Intense but also likeable. How much of that is by design only Amazon can say. They do seem to have given Mikel an easy ride.
Auba comes across as a super villain.
Didn't see Auba as a villain at all. He comes across as a lovely bloke, who everyone likes, but too flakey to be captain and wounded by what happened. No shock really - always been a guy who needs to feel the love, and who has wobbles in his professionalism.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yup, the show is designed with Mikel first in mind.

Not good PR for Auba of course, but everyone knows how it really went down. And for me that's what matters.
I think its quite revealing, and not that damaging for Auba. Makes the player look a bit flakey, but that aside no one has a bad word to say about him, and even Arteta says that he was great for the club- the revealing bits are how much it was just Arteta and the club only wanted him off the books when it became clear the relationship was done, and the bit of Arteta talking privately to the doc, basically admitting that he feels he has to act because the club has been a **** show professionalism wise for a decade. (which I think many of us suspected)

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Very suspicious that they didn't interview Auba'. Maybe he refused.

Would have been interesting to hear his explanation for coming back late. Maybe he had a valid reason.
I would imagine they wouldn't be allowed to interview anyone who had been done for a breach of discipline about said breach. Also, tbf, what could he say bar being upset and feeling it was unfair under the specific circumstances, which his reps leaked early anyway - if there is literally a file of lateness and other ****, and you've been warned and publicly disciplined about it before, and the whole world knows from prior clubs that you are quite often late, all that Auba could say would be that it was an overreaction and why now?

The only real story was about why Arteta went so strident, and he owned that pretty well - everyone knows it was his call because he was pissed off, felt let down, felt it set a bad example, and that he didn't trust the player in the same way anymore. Not much else to say really

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Always find it hilarious when players say Mikel is a tactical genius.

Explain the league finishes and cup exits then. :lol:

Tactics are great and all, but if you are having play Kolasinac at the Etihad, your players get intimidated by Forest, or your centre-forward scores less than your centre-half due to a refusal to run into the box despite being told to, tactics are of secondary importance.

I think managing personalities, team selection, substitutions are all areas Arteta needs to work on (as well as knowing when to chill out), but tactically he's been very good.

Mind you, after Unai's 'chaos-ball' and the latter days of Wenger still trying to do player led jazz, only with a bunch of muppets, Arteta probably does look a genius!

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Auba was dropped in December 2021 so if he was poor for that long as people claim, why did Arteta give him a new deal?
You mean he was dropped almost the amount of time after signing his new deal that @samspade said their form had dipped for?

Kind of logical fallacy-ed yourself in the foot there!

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Honestly, I don't blame players for doing what's best for them. I may not like which club they choose to go to and that's my entitlement as a fan, but seeing how clubs vilify players and cast them off like day old rubbish.

Get your paper, boys. Auba won Arteta his only trophy in football and without that I think fan sentiment towards him would have been a lot worse. Yet he gets lambasted in the media from pillar to post. Shameful.
Who's been lambasting him from pillar to post?

Auba was fantastic until his new deal, significantly out performing his xG. After his new deal, he still had very good days, but his xG conversion was declining steadily to making Eddie look super clinical. He was also taking less shots from the same posistions.
This is partly on the manager and team for not creating the chances he thrives on, but partly on him for losing his edge and then his confidence. Still got the odd blinder, but was missing more and more good chances. Ultimately, he needed a change of environment and he got it.

Don't see any need for tears or angst on either side (unless he goes to Chelski)

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
You mean he was dropped almost the amount of time after signing his new deal that @samspade said their form had dipped for?

Kind of logical fallacy-ed yourself in the foot there!
It’s 15 months in this thread, but people on A-M and Twitter were saying 18 months at the time.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I wouldn't have a set of inflexible "rules" in the first place. As long as the players generally arrive on time, aren't rude to the staff and don't start **** with each other. Go nuts.

I don't think Arteta's level post contract was his fault so I disagree with the premise behind the question. But I'll play along, if his level dropped because of attitude issues and he kept on breaking the rules then I'd talk with him in private or fine him.

That situation got blown way out of proportion, it wasn't that serious IMO. Bending a rule like that shouldn't have resulted in being dropped from the squad. Wenger would have handled it a lot better. Explain to Auba that he has to set an example for the young players who all look up to him. or whatever.

Other players, namely Xhaka have done far more stupid things that cost us on the pitch but Arteta didn't say a word about that because Xhaka is his pet and follows his stupid behind the scenes rules.
And it worked great for Wenger when he had great pros running the dressing room, but by his last few years it was a **** show. Several ex players have commented on it.

Also, Auba had already been dropped for a NLD for rocking up late when captain, which wouldn't have been for a first offence. And assuming that Arteta wouldn't have had a chat with him on several occasions is some next level stupid bias, particularly as we see him having a training pitch with Laca telling him he's got to set the example re on pitch stuff they are working on.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Mik's voice cracks a lot when he's shouting I noticed.
Yeah - I kept noticing that - Clearly his vocal technique is rubbish. Feel like I should offer him some lessons on abdominal breathing, voice projection and tension release. By half-time ever game he sounds like a 40 a day man.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think its quite revealing, and not that damaging for Auba. Makes the player look a bit flakey, but that aside no one has a bad word to say about him, and even Arteta says that he was great for the club- the revealing bits are how much it was just Arteta and the club only wanted him off the books when it became clear the relationship was done, and the bit of Arteta talking privately to the doc, basically admitting that he feels he has to act because the club has been a **** show professionalism wise for a decade. (which I think many of us suspected)

I do think that the relationship was done yes, but I think an even greater factor was the financial aspect of it all. They do focus on the relationship points yes, but the discussions between Edu, Garlick and Vinai were the most revealing to me. Specifically their focus on the finances.

Look, the club wanted to cut ties with Aubameyang because he was a heavy earner, with next to zero resale value under his contract conditions with Arsenal. Arteta did what any business would do, namely adjust to make their operations more efficient.

Its painful because Aubameyang is one of the most loved players at the club and this became personal for some and that's understandable to me. Its also the reason why it is still an issue discussed to this day.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Like I mentioned previously, those that were criticising Auba back then didn’t take into consideration why he even made the trip to Paris in the first place during the season. It must have been something serious for him to go visit his mother which is why at the time and even now, I’m taking the angle the club tried to use with a pinch of salt.
I thought that was already out there? His mum was sick and he was genuinely worried about her - its why the club let him go when normally no player would be allowed to go so close to a game. The only issue was he came back the morning after he said he would, missing the pre-match training session, and apparently hadn't told anyone the night before that this would happen.

I think on a human level, Auba's 'crime' was entirely understandable, and very relatable, but equally if you've been given allowances to do something unusual, at least drop a bloody text or an explanation in advance if you are going to be back the day after. For a first offence, this would probably be a little fine.

Also, if Auba was on £350k a week, and kept being late, I wonder how much they saved on fines? Maybe his 'payoff' was just all his late fines 🤔 ;)

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Feel really sorry for some of you. Can't even enjoy this for what it is: a bit of insight into the club mixed between some PR. Just have fun with it ffs.

Spot on, some people acting like theres some hidden agenda by the club or some black magic to make people like Arteta..

This is just non-offensive vanilla Arsenal content in exchange for Amazon money where fans get to see a little more behind the scenes than usual.

Personally so far I've only found one thing off and cringey and that was the YNWA thing but it still had an explanation.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It’s 15 months in this thread, but people on A-M and Twitter were saying 18 months at the time.
Whilst implying it was far less. Either way, I don't know why people are still going to war on this one. He'd been poor for a while, while being very very expensive. We got him off the books, allowing us to a) give Eddie a chance- later than we should & b) Get Gabby Jesus this summer. He got to play for Barca and have a lovely time while still being hugely paid.

Unless you think the would have been the difference for top 4 (unlikely given how much worse the team stats were with him in the side by the end), its a win win for everyone.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I think on a human level, Auba's 'crime' was entirely understandable, and very relatable, but equally if you've been given allowances to do something unusual, at least drop a bloody text or an explanation in advance if you are going to be back the day after. For a first offence, this would probably be a little fine.

Dont want to go into this to deep as its been discussed to death before but Auba rocking up at Barcelona without permission whilst he was meant to be at training and his representatives lying about it was pretty unprofessional.

However, he done everyone a favour at that point as him being there probably pushed the deal through.

Would be interesting to find out whats in Arteta's dossier one day.

Top Bottom