• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

All the small things

siddharth

I have always believed that Manu are what they are because of that great scot, Alex ferguson.I have never seen a manager as shrewd,arrogant,clever,ruthless summed up a GENIUS as him.It would be great if wenger were to learn some things from him.

If you'd have noticed Arsenal really struggle without Parlour.He's our unsung hero.It was only when parlour's suspension began that our midfield started appearing ordinary.In this run of 3 draws in 4 games we were really stretched in the games against leicester,bolton , blackburn and had it not been for fulham's defensive attitude even they could have taken the game to us. Wenger needs to start with parlour in such high intensity games.
I hope wenger realises this soon.

I think wenger plays 2 defensive midfielders as has No Trust in our defence.If we are to be more successful wenger should only play 1 defensive midfielder and 3 attacking players.

The reason i reckon gilberto gets so much abuse is because he plays as a holding midfielder only making average passes and winning some headers.As a midfielder he's expected to contribute significantly to our attacks and setup our strikers with through passes which he does not as he's not that kind of a player. We can't expect gilberto to play like scholes,keane,lampard or gerrard.
Gilberto is suited to play in a midfield with 3 or 4 attacking midfielders not in the midfield wenger employs at present.We can't blame him.Actually i think gilberto plays well to his potential.

Talking about Cygan, he's a good defender but very slow with poor marking skills.He's not the type of defender for EPL or EUROPE where the pace of the game is so fast.
Buying jeffers,gilberto,cygan,wiltord was wenger's BIG mistake and also a costly one.It would have been better had we persisted with Van Bronckhorst in midfield.Going by the current form wenger should start with Edu and parlour in midfield.

Secondly we really need to learn to defend against long balls.How can we expect our defenders to do it when we ourselves do not practice it.I don't know why wenger always wants us to score beautiful goals.We can do with goals like that at bolton.I mean the tap-ins,use of long aerial balls into the penalty box and crossing along the flanks.wenger needs to mix it up.
Like i somewhere read, just using 70 percent of the tools is always going to make you predictable.It is another reason for our struugle in europe so far.Also wenger needs to change his tactics and formations according to the need which he never does.

Please don't get me wrong guys for wenger has brought us at this top level and i acknowledge it but he needs to slightly bend his way of looking at things.

what do you reckon?

we were woeful against bolton and ur pathetic display was compounded by Cole's absence. It was again one of those days. Lets just forget it and look forward.

Cheers.

JazzG

Established Member
siddharth said:
I have always believed that Manu are what they are because of that great scot, Alex ferguson.I have never seen a manager as shrewd,arrogant,clever,ruthless summed up a GENIUS as him.It would be great if wenger were to learn some things from him.

Do you have pics of Fergie on your wall as well? ;) But seriously he is a good manager but he has his serious flaws as well, on another forum many man utd fans have ago at him for his stupid decisions. Without Scholes they have looked toothless upfront, amazing how a club as rich as man utd could miss 1 player so much.

If you'd have noticed Arsenal really struggle without Parlour.He's our unsung hero.It was only when parlour's suspension began that our midfield started appearing ordinary.In this run of 3 draws in 4 games we were really stretched in the games against leicester,bolton , blackburn and had it not been for fulham's defensive attitude even they could have taken the game to us. Wenger needs to start with parlour in such high intensity games.

Parlour is a good player but don't forget he has been injured and only recently has got fit again.

I think wenger plays 2 defensive midfielders as has No Trust in our defence.If we are to be more successful wenger should only play 1 defensive midfielder and 3 attacking players.

The reason i reckon gilberto gets so much abuse is because he plays as a holding midfielder only making average passes and winning some headers.As a midfielder he's expected to contribute significantly to our attacks and setup our strikers with through passes which he does not as he's not that kind of a player. We can't expect gilberto to play like scholes,keane,lampard or gerrard.
Gilberto is suited to play in a midfield with 3 or 4 attacking midfielders not in the midfield wenger employs at present.We can't blame him.Actually i think gilberto plays well to his potential.

Man utd for most of this season have played 2 defensive midfielders as well, does this mean Fergie doesn't trust his defense? Vieira attacks a lot as well so he is like an attacking midfielder himself. When Vieira bombs forward you need one person to cover him, that is Gilberto's job and he doesn't do it very well imo. Look at Makelele he is the type of player we need, someone who shields the defense and is very hard to get past. I think he is a great player, Gilberto was bought to do a similar job but does it very poorly.

Talking about Cygan, he's a good defender but very slow with poor marking skills.He's not the type of defender for EPL or EUROPE where the pace of the game is so fast.
Buying jeffers,gilberto,cygan,wiltord was wenger's BIG mistake and also a costly one.It would have been better had we persisted with Van Bronckhorst in midfield.Going by the current form wenger should start with Edu and parlour in midfield.

Gio was good but he was small, he got pushed around too easily for my liking.

Buying Jeffers, Gilberto, Cygan, Wiltord has been a mistake by Wenger. But those players were very good at their previous clubs so how was Wenger to know they would flop so badly? We can talk about his bad buys but he has made some damn good buys as well.

Secondly we really need to learn to defend against long balls.How can we expect our defenders to do it when we ourselves do not practice it.I don't know why wenger always wants us to score beautiful goals.We can do with goals like that at bolton.I mean the tap-ins,use of long aerial balls into the penalty box and crossing along the flanks.wenger needs to mix it up.
Like i somewhere read, just using 70 percent of the tools is always going to make you predictable.It is another reason for our struugle in europe so far.Also wenger needs to change his tactics and formations according to the need which he never does.

With Campbell + Toure as CBs we did fine with long balls, I feel sometimes Cygan isn't as commited as he should be and probably isn't physical enough at times.

Crossing just isn't our thing, we have no target man upfront. We sure as hell need one and why Wenger hasn't bought one is beyond me. Even though we score a lot of goals I bet we could score a lot more with a target man. Henry would chip in with goals and provide perfect foil for a target man as well.

Wenger has actually changed his tactics, we play very differently in away games. I really can't blame him when the players aren't giving it their all. I don't think he told them not to give a damn before the match. I feel some people here are too quick to criticise him when it is blatently the players fault.

wiltord11

i agree with on some parts the bit about we dont score from crosses i agree with if we could mix it up and score scruffy goals, headers ,more and also score the great passing goals we would be much better man united can score from cornersm crosses , scruffy goals and passing goals they have more optiuons to score from they have a plan B while we dont we just keep going for that great goal thats are biggest weakness if we could sort that out we would be even more better

and with gilberto i think he does a great job for arsenal when you say people expect gilberto to score more goals that aint hes job i expect Vieira to push on more now and score more goals and gilberto to get the odd one there and there.

And with cygan hes done well but i dont think hes up to the standard for arsenal i feel more comfortable with toure there but also i like toure at right back i think Arsène wenger will get mexes in the summer cause he was linked with him last summer and he didnt come but i think he will come and slot in the centrewith sol and senderos as cover and toure right back that would be a strong back line

and about long balls i remember on sky i think it was alan smith said they dont practise defending they practise going forward which is good but the defence is the most important part of the team i think he should get george graham in just to work with the back 5 i think they would work and wenger just working with the attackers

but were still unbeaten so i cant really slag off the defence cause they've done great and we've had plenty of clean sheets this season

Adam

Established Member
Sorry mate, the opening paragraph exorcised any credibility/interest the piece had.

JazzG

Established Member
wiltord11 said:
and about long balls i remember on sky i think it was alan smith said they dont practise defending

What a load of rubbish, how the hell would he know whether we practise defending or not? So the team which has the 2nd best defensive record in this league don't practice defending right? Smith is talking BS.

Adam

Established Member
Wenger said he dedicated a whole training session to defending long balls before the Leicester game.

Ridge

3 draws and 3 goals in 4 games.

yes, we're still unbeaten and currently still top of the table, and is "unbeaten" great enuff? we've drawed 6 games. the fulham and leicester draw really frustrated me.

manure have only drawed once, but if they win Sp**s today, they'll go top of the table, even they lost 3 games.

every team has a bad run. yeah and its too early to critisize the manager or the players. its still december. but we really need to make some change, the players attitude (they look lazy and not that creative for me), or maybe some new players (hehe 8) ).

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Adam said:
Sorry mate, the opening paragraph exorcised any credibility/interest the piece had.

Exactly. Arsène Wenger hasn't just changed the face of Arsenal FC but also English football in general.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
JazzG said:
wiltord11 said:
and about long balls i remember on sky i think it was alan smith said they dont practise defending

What a load of rubbish, how the hell would he know whether we practise defending or not? So the team which has the 2nd best defensive record in this league don't practice defending right? Smith is talking BS.

Quite honestly I'm not surprised Smith is banned from London Colony. He thinks he's a good journalist but I just laugh at everything he says.

wiltord11

alan smith said the comment i think it was after the inter milan game and he said he watched them at training and they dont practise defending they just practising attacking

and our players did look tired yesterday and the bolton lot played a game midweek we werent good enough wenger was moaning about how many games we were 1-0 up last season and we lost it but were just starting to do the same again this season

i think we should start playing aliadieire up front bit even to put him on for 30 minutes in the second half to give him some more experience no good just putting him on for the last 8 minutes that aint even enough time to get into the game

bergkamp can open defences but he is just sitting to deep and he had a glorius chance carved out by toure he could of took a touch on his left foot but he went for first time which surprised me

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Goonergurjit said:
Adam said:

Exactly. Arsène Wenger hasn't just changed the face of Arsenal FC but also English football in general.

Yes by golly this is very true. Bloody hell football was dull in Engalnd before he arrived all long balls and headers ping ponging around the pitch.

Even the 'lesser' clubs are playing better football beacuse of the European influence of AW and others.

We have had a bad run, same time as lst season almost (4 losses in 4 matches) but this year our bad run are draws, surely this is better?

JazzG

Established Member
wiltord11 said:
alan smith said the comment i think it was after the inter milan game and he said he watched them at training and they dont practise defending they just practising attacking

Maybe that was just one session? That doesn't mean we only pratice attacking. Some training sessions will be based around certain things. Like before the Leicester game as Gurjit said we did a whole session on long balls.

Instead of backing the team he played for Smith has just jumped on the bandwagon of Arsenal haters, probably to further his 'carreer'

Kyla

Being unbeaten is an irrelavance if it involves picking up solitary points from more or less beatable opposition.

I really hope the lads are saving their best footy till last-Wengerball has become too sporadic for my liking (Boro away was the last of my recollection) We're no way near our full potential and still a point behind which is good an all, but can anyone imagine Utd not hammering the likes of Fulham et al? I very much doubt it- Utd kill off weaker opposition in such a customary way that it's almost routine- we never seem to have that ability which might be telling come May. I find it ridiculous how a team like Man U can have lost three games this season and still be on top. If the same were to happen to us we would need to be playing serious catch-up.

Kyla

lol. you always do that to me jc8. But you know what I mean. Nobody is guaranteed three points these days, but generally Utd are able to brush off 'lesser teams' with little prob- they make their wins count when it matters.

Adam

Established Member
Last season - we were better at the lesser teams, but not so good at the big teams. United won the league being vice versa.

jc8gooner

generally Utd are able to brush off 'lesser teams' with little prob

You have made your point much more effectively with that. Man United are certainly much better than Arsenal or even Chelsea for that matter, at beating the so-called lesser teams. I am not sure how to approach this matter. In the past, I used to think that most teams used to lie down for Man United. These days however, I don't think that is the case, because Man United no longer have that aura of invincibility, in my opinion, that they used to have. They remain however, a very resolute team, especially when they go ahead against lesser opposition.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom