• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aly Cissokho

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
On a second thought, we can always send Gibbs on loan for a couple of months or even the whole season. He seriously needs a run of games and maybe a more relaxed less pressured environment could do wonders for him.

Floating

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
Then we should sell Squillaci.

To anyone who will take him. We need a first choice LB much more than a 5th choice CB right now

That's what Wenger has been saying - "we have a big squad." He basically means that we need to sell to buy because there just aren't enough slots in the 25-man squad.

There's also the option of just not registering the likes of Almunia and Squillaci, if we can't find suitors in time.

ricky1985

Established Member
mistaT said:
Accomplished said:
I personally find it highly unlikely we'll offload a potential future England centre-back whilst signing someone for £8m.

Surely Leighton Baines is far far ahead of Gibbs at this point?

Gibbs is little but hype, glimpses have illustrated something is there but he's yet to realize it and put together a consistent season.
Sure, but that has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with his horrendous injury record.

Wenger has to decide whether he's still convinced that Gibbs will come through the injury problems he's had and establish himself as a top left back. If Cissokho really is available (although I doubt he is) then given the mess we currently find ourselves in at left back, now would be a good time to make that decision. It's a tough one though. Despite what is said so often around here, Gibbs has a lot of ability, and if he can get on the pitch regularly he will be a very good player.

Lazaq

Wenger has always liked a good deal though, and at £8 million, this a great one. Cissokho is class, he's french, and he's relatively young. Those are a few more of the Wenger boxes ticked.

Floating

Established Member
Wenger did say that he's not interested in signing a fullback permanently. He's not going to sell Gibbs (homegrown quota), and he's certainly not going to sell Santos (we just bought him, and he's improved greatly).

fabo

6.51 / 10
We should turf Gibbs out on one of those 18 month/2 year loan deals to some PL club. He's taking the piss now with all these injuries and lack of progression in almost 3 years.

I stand by my prediction on the LB situation. Wenger will dwell on it for the next few weeks and then talk up his returning players as we get closer to the deadline. The squad looks on the brink of a bad run to me, or maybe we're already in it. I can see more patches like this in the coming months too, there's just too many holes in the current squad.

Floating

Established Member
fabo said:
I stand by my prediction on the LB situation. Wenger will dwell on it for the next few weeks and then talk up his returning players as we get closer to the deadline.

Exactly the same as last year, except with Vermaelen returning from injury.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
"Arsenal have had an approach for Lyon full back Aly Cissokho knocked back. Arsène Wenger was keen to sign Cissokho on loan but Lyon only wants to sell. (Daily Mirror)"

Floating

Established Member
Bourne said:
A player of Cissokho's talent and potential, and we only want to sign him on loan. :?

Once Gibbs and Santos come back in a month or so, we'll have 3 LB's. That would be a surplus, and we only have space in the squad for 2.

Seriously, what do you want Wenger to do, sell Gibbs (very importantly a homegrown player, and one with serious potential) or sell Santos (who we just bought, and has started to look very promising)? We can't keep all 3. It doesn't work like that.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
Stupid of Wenger to think Lyon would loan him anyway (If the story is true of course). Why would they loan out their starting LB in the middle of the season?

There's no chance of getting anyone decent on loan, especially in Jan. Buying is surely our only option.

I really hope we just forget about Gibbs for a second and buy this guy though.

Herbas

Get Cissokho, loan Gibbs for a year and by the time he's back (being fit, not on stretchers) sell Santos.

The problem with Gibbs that he is not only barely fit, but he is absolutely inexperienced. He'll need a loan just for getting some experience.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
Santos is equally capable of playing in midfield and left wing. Having him, Gibbs AND Cissokho in the same squad really wouldn't be as much of an issue as people are making out.

Floating

Established Member
ferrarif50hunt said:
Santos is equally capable of playing in midfield and left wing. Having him, Gibbs AND Cissokho in the same squad really wouldn't be as much of an issue as people are making out.

It's not just about where they'll play — there's a 25 man limit to the squad. No manager would want 3 of those slots to be filled by left-backs alone.

Arsenal in Aus

Herbas said:
Get Cissokho, loan Gibbs for a year and by the time he's back (being fit, not on stretchers) sell Santos.

The problem with Gibbs that he is not only barely fit, but he is absolutely inexperienced. He'll need a loan just for getting some experience.
Yes yes and yes.

Bourne

Established Member
Floating said:
Bourne said:
A player of Cissokho's talent and potential, and we only want to sign him on loan. :?

Once Gibbs and Santos come back in a month or so, we'll have 3 LB's. That would be a surplus, and we only have space in the squad for 2.

Seriously, what do you want Wenger to do, sell Gibbs (very importantly a homegrown player, and one with serious potential) or sell Santos (who we just bought, and has started to look very promising)? We can't keep all 3. It doesn't work like that.
Potentially, Cissokho is arguably better than both of them. If we're looking to just loan him then it's a waste of time, IMO. He wouldn't even be eligible for the CL, a place where we would be in dire need of having an adequate and capable LB.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
we can carry 3 LB because Gibbs doesnt count against the 25 man squad and because we do not need Squid.

Top Bottom