• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aly Cissokho

ThaSaltCracka

ferrarif50hunt said:
Santos is equally capable of playing in midfield and left wing. Having him, Gibbs AND Cissokho in the same squad really wouldn't be as much of an issue as people are making out.

exactly, plus Gibbs is always injured anyway.

ThaSaltCracka

I think having Santos as a left sided player, either FB or wing would be great. Even having him come off the bench, he'd bring some serious attacking play, and he has the technique to play there and do a good job. All three of these FB's, plus Gervinho as the starter and Ryo as sub with Yossi in the mix, hell yeah.

mo50

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
we can carry 3 LB because Gibbs doesnt count against the 25 man squad and because we do not need Squid.

Isn't Gibbs 22? Besides, we'll have to register Wilshere, Szczesny, Ramsey and Coquelin soon. As of now we need to offload before we buy, and keeping the players I mentioned in mind, we're going to have to let go of a fair few players. Luckily (more like unfortunately) for us, there are about 8 players you could randomly select and sell, and I wouldn't care.

Whose bright idea was this 25 man nuisance?

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Gibbs was 21 on Jan 1 2011, so I think he counts as 21 and under for the entire 2011-2012 season.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
MDGoonah41 said:
Gibbs was 21 on Jan 1 2011, so I think he counts as 21 and under for the entire 2011-2012 season.

Yes that's right.

People don't seem to understand the squad registration rules and home grown quota. It makes things a juggling act when it comes to signings. Players U21 don't have to be registered but if you want them to count as a home grown player then they do have to be registered and thus take up one of the 25 places.

Arsenal's Current Homegrown Squad:

Szczesny
Djourou
Song
Gibbs
Wilshere
Ramsey
Walcott
(and obviously all the kids who have trained for 3 years in the UK)

That's only 7 homegrown players and we need 8 to register in the Premer League. Szczesny, Gibbs, Ramsey and Wilshere are all under 21 and so would not have taken up places but as we are using them as homegrown they are. That means we have 4 fewer places than we could have had we 4 homegrown players older than 21. In that instance they would be registered and the effective squad could be larger as those 4 players could also play without taking up places.

As I previously said that's only 7 players and we need 8. Frimpong previously was the 8th but now he is at Wolves Wenger is going to have to register another kid as homegrown. This means a player that would normally be able to play without taking up a place in the 25 limit is now using a place.

If we want to sign anyone then we have to get rid of a player from the squad as we have registered the maximum 25 or sign an over 21 player who is homegrown who can take the place of one of the under 21 players who are homegrown.

People saying Wenger should loan out Gibbs and sign Cissokho or any other similar type of signing. are mistaken in thinking we can do that.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The sensible thing would be to sign Cissokho as he is better than our other two options, that would be un-Wengerlike though. Trying to loan him is ludicrous it's the equivalent of somebody asking to loan Theo from us.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
I read Santos has played LW quite a bit before. That for me indicates that he can do a job at both wings in a lopsided 4-5-1 with the opposite winger playing higher for balance. I also think it might be interesting to see him play in a DM/b2b role. I just feel good when he has the ball.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Lyon chief Jean-Michel Aulas has confirmed that the club are ready to sell defender Aly Cissokho. Arsenal and Newcastle linked.

...from Skysports transfer clockwatch. Do it Arsène!

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Signing Cissokho whilst keeping Gibbs (for now) and moving Santos forward as a LW to replace Arsh as a result?

Might be possible.

Floating

Established Member
Apparently we only want to loan him, not buy him, but the club doesn't love that idea. Just like with Lucho Gonzalez this summer.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
This is so easy, imo

You buy him, you sell Squillaci.

We have Mert, Kos, Miquel, TV at CB and Song can play there if need be.

Santos wont be back for a while.

Gibbs is still a huge fitness ? mark. And Gibbs doesnt count against our numbers for the rest of the season

Total no brainer. Which is why it wont happen

dpt49

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
This is so easy, imo

We have Mert, Kos, Miquel, TV at CB and Song can play there if need be.

Santos wont be back for a while.

Gibbs is still a huge fitness ? mark. And Gibbs doesnt count against our numbers for the rest of the season

Total no brainer. Which is why it wont happen
Strange but, unfortunately true :roll:

Floating

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
This is so easy, imo

It's not that easy mate. No one will buy Squillaci because he's on 40 or 50k. Same with Almunia. Same with Diaby. Same with Bendtner.

Zaragoza just claimed they had to back out of a deal for Squillaci because of 'economic reasons.' That means wages.

In my opinion, our wage structure is the biggest hindrance on our progress as a club. It ensures that our dross squad players get paid too much (making them impossible to sell), and our stars get paid too little (making them want to leave for greener pastures). It's f*cked us over countless times, and I believe we must readjust it to progress in this football climate.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Everton need a CB.

Offer him to them and ask for £500,000.

Or just dont register him. We have massive cash reserves. We can afford a loss on his wages.

dpt49

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
Everton need a CB.

Offer him to them and ask for £500,000.

Or just dont register him. We have massive cash reserves. We can afford a loss on his wages.
I like the idea but I don't think Everton are stupid enough to buy a player like Squillaci.

Perhaps if we threw in Chamakh for free as well they might be tempted, but I doubt it

GDeep™

League is very weak
You get the feeling Wenger might be closing in on someone judging by his answer at the press conference, but not in a million years am I going to start getting excited about Cissokho just yet.

Someone is on their way in though I feel.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom