• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

... and this is why I like David Bentley

JGooner

His determination is remarkable. He hasn't been disheartened by the Reyes signing and says he wouldn't even mind if we were to buy another player. The fact that he is also willing to wait up to three seasons to get his chance is remarkable.

Bentley is the youngster I want to see succeed more than any other, as his attitude is first class and England would at last have a proper number 10 (although Rooney is arguably capable of serving that function). I suspect, however, that his best chance might be on the right side of midfield, taking over from Ljungberg.

It is obvious now that he is a cut above the rest at under-21 level and the reserves, but the gap between those games and yer average Premiership match is immense. The only way we will ever know if he can cross the divide is if we give him a chance. We obviously can't do it now because every game is vital, but the early months of next season may see Bentley getting regular games.

reggiepaul

I'd like all the youngsters to succeed. They all show promise the lack of publicity they give to the press.

KingReyes

Established Member
I like the guy cause he oozes confidence. Willing to challenge himself to get into the starting eleven knowing that at the present time its very difficult gives me alot to admire about him. A very determined young player just waiting for his chance. I hope he succeeds.

Iron Monkey

everyone says his playing style like bergkamp, it that true

if yes, that mean he have great future at arsenal.

wiltord11

i believe he will make it but as a right sided midfield player i think he would do well there hes got the abilty to create and score goals he gets stuck in and hes not greddy he got the skills and wenger gave him a 5 year deal so i think he has a high chance of making it i hope he does.

if we win the league early i would like to see this team play a few games

stack

hoyte toure campbell clichy

bentley vieira cesc reyes

aliadiere henry

maybe play it against leicester :?

kazu

i liked what david platt said about him... something like he has just gotta try and impress his own team-mates first instead of the crowd... sounds like this guy's got bags of skills...

reggiepaul

Although another Dennis Bergkamp would be excellent I think the legends of days gone by have been unique, and for that matter should remain unique.

I hope Bentley moves on to greater things and operates for the team in a world class if not legendary fashion but I hope he isn't another Dennis Bergkamp but a totally unique player in his own right.

Mark

Established Member
He has the right attitude and he performs consistently very well at u21 level, if he can do it at Premiership and CL level in a few years time I'd be very pleased. He's a player who I really want to see make it at Arsenal. He might be a good supporting striker or maybe on RM or LM playing the way Pires and Freddie play which isn't really a typical winger, basically a third striker.

A.Hussain

wiltord11 said:
i believe he will make it but as a right sided midfield player i think he would do well there hes got the abilty to create and score goals he gets stuck in and hes not greddy he got the skills and wenger gave him a 5 year deal so i think he has a high chance of making it i hope he does.

if we win the league early i would like to see this team play a few games

stack

aliadiere henry

maybe play it against leicester :?

i luv ur signia....

maybe we should name the new stadium... ARENA DU ARSENA

A

Anonymous

his best chance might be on the right side of midfield, taking over from Ljungberg.
stack

aliadiere henry
why does everyone continue to put bentley on the right!!! he is NOT a right mid. he is an attacker through and through. i have watched him for at least 3 seasons now down at barnet. and his best performances come from up front. lately he has been playing in a 3 man attack for the reserves which he has been doing really well. he has also said he sees himself taking dennis bergkamps role in the side, which from last time i checked WASNT RIGHT MID !!!
it just seems like people on this board that dont know what bentley is like and only join in the hype from what they have previously read on this board are just presuming he can play on the wing. when i have seen him on the wing he does nothing, you know why, cos its not his natural position. same as how gilberto performs on the wing. just because we are ****e on the right these days dont mean bentley can fit in in that position. frankly reyes would be more suited to the right wing and bentley upfront. honestly though i cannot see how he can get in the team in the next few seasons ahead of thierry,reyes and ali.

Aussie

Established Member
If Bentley is prepared to wait three years for his chance i am confident he will take it. However Reyes, Henry, Ali seem to be ahead of him. If dennis retires next season what about Henry, Bentley and Reyes on the right wing. I dont know its too confusing we have so much quality.

He probably needs to bulk up a bit though i guess i cant talk im a skinniy little ****. :p

Chips&CurrySauce

Clock end everyone knows that Bentleys favoured position is behind the main striker, however with Henry, Reyes, Aliadiere, and Dennis his opportunities to play this role will be very limited, atleast for the next couple of seasons. His best chance to get in the side is to play on the wing, probably right side, he has played this position in the reserves a few times and also for the under 21's. I think next season we'll see him play on the right wing quite regularly, its could work because Bentley is 2 footed, so he can either go outside or cut in on his left foot. Although he doesn't have pace he may turn out to be a better option than Freddie, he undoubtedly ha bags of skill and technique

wiltord11

clockend_faithful said:
his best chance might be on the right side of midfield, taking over from Ljungberg.
stack

aliadiere henry
why does everyone continue to put bentley on the right!!! he is NOT a right mid. he is an attacker through and through. i have watched him for at least 3 seasons now down at barnet. and his best performances come from up front. lately he has been playing in a 3 man attack for the reserves which he has been doing really well. he has also said he sees himself taking dennis bergkamps role in the side, which from last time i checked WASNT RIGHT MID !!!
it just seems like people on this board that dont know what bentley is like and only join in the hype from what they have previously read on this board are just presuming he can play on the wing. when i have seen him on the wing he does nothing, you know why, cos its not his natural position. same as how gilberto performs on the wing. just because we are s***e on the right these days dont mean bentley can fit in in that position. frankly reyes would be more suited to the right wing and bentley upfront. honestly though i cannot see how he can get in the team in the next few seasons ahead of thierry,reyes and ali.

just cause hes on the right doesnt mean he cant drift into the centre like pires and lyungberg do ive seen him play a few times and hes allways played on the wing so i think that is going to be hes best chance And i think he can do well there.

seanconvey66

Compare that attitude to one of a certain mr Jermaine Pennant!!!!! Similar talent completely contrasting attitudes, put money on Bentley earning alot more success in his career whether that be at Arsenal or not.

dsurg

the boy would certainly make it at highbury especially since he is ready to wait...the thing is wenger has a way with players...he brings out the best in them in positions that may not be there natural positions...no need for any examples as we are all to aware...thing is with the reserves playing 4-3-3 is AW thinking of adopting a similar formation in the first team over the next few seasons...that would stop the debate as to where Bentley would play..especially if the kid from the Czech rep...Papadouplous is offered a permanent deal....then maybe AW already has a different formation in mind for the new stadium and the reserves of today

lewdikris

Established Member
It's an interesting question - and I think Wenger might also be looking towards a 4-3-3 (or more accurately a 4-3-1-2) in future. It's what Milan and Madrid have both moved towards this season - and is probably the logical step for Arsenal.

I think it also benefits Bentley in the longterm.

If say, freddie and Gilberto left (which is possible), and were replaced with, I dunno, Seedorf or Owen Hargreaves (who has been linked with us forever, and was very good for England the other day - and is Ray's natural successor) then a team that looked something like this would be definitely viable:

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Cole

Hargreaves Vieira Edu

Pires

Reyes Henry

Clichy could stand in for Edu in that, with Ray and Cesc in the 'Hargreaves' role - and Bentley could find himself as second playmaker in line behind Pires.

I dunno why, but I have a suspicion this type of line-up could be the way forward for us. It lets the genuinely creative players play, pays attention to defence, but also lets attacks be setup swiftly.

It's basically the formation the reserves have been playing as well. It could happen, stranger things have.

Top Bottom