• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Interesting. I know nothing of him but it's a real mixed bag of opinions on here. Not sure if the negatives are just bandwagoning?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He is also a Gestifute / Jorge Medes player. We take Gomes & who knows what windows may open down the line.

Guedes? Neves? James?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
DCSyxwoXgAIkWnZ.jpg:large

DCSyYxkW0AAuw3P.jpg:large

giphy.gif

macka66

If reports are true and in fact that we have got a pre-agreement in place for gomes for under 20 million then is a great bit of business. At Valencia he was arguably one of the best midfielders in the world. He moved far too soon. Yes he hasn't been brilliant for Barcelona but that has been down to not fitting there style of play and a confidence issue. Emery is the type of manager who could easily change this, even if he is being signed as a squad player then happy days.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
If reports are true and in fact that we have got a pre-agreement in place for gomes for under 20 million then is a great bit of business. At Valencia he was arguably one of the best midfielders in the world. He moved far too soon. Yes he hasn't been brilliant for Barcelona but that has been down to not fitting there style of play and a confidence issue. Emery is the type of manager who could easily change this, even if he is being signed as a squad player then happy days.

Line of thought: Realistically there is no chance in hell we add another 3 players , which is the ideal case to make us contender for the top (one high class winger, one great CM and a topclass CB).
So a solution where we add Gomez to make our midfield very solid and hope for Smith-Rowe and AMN to be the internal solution to come up being our future topclass CM, giving Nelson/Nketiah more chances on the wing to see whether they explode as we wont sign the super winger who is going to be a certain success anyways to see whether they are the solution, seems like the best thing to do.

Only thing is that I have a tendency to rather go for another CB first, but that's a hard call right now

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
He was very bad every time he played. My Cules friends say he doesn’t know how to play football. It would be a bad signing cause there’s nothing he does well.

Well, no offense to your friends, but fans often don't really understand a player's talents unless they're getting goals and assists (especially midfielders). He's not that type of player. If you take a look at his CIES/OptaStats measures, he ranks very low in shooting and chance creation. But he ranks pretty high in rigor (physical strength, timing, concentration), recovery (tactical intelligence, positional awareness, stamina) and distribution (technique, vision).

When he was at Valencia, he was arguably their best player. Certainly by far their best playmaker. He was even picked for the Europa League Best XI. There's a reason Barcelona wanted him. He also started for Portugal when they won Euro 2016. But he's found his chances limited at Barcelona, playing behind Busquets and Rakatic. That hurt his chances of making the World Cup team (he was among the final cuts).

As I've said many times, not every player has to be a galactico. He's the sort of tall defensive midfielder that Emery is said to want to add. That doesn't mean he's looking for someone to be a fixture in the lineup (although Gomes has the potential to be that). So if he's available for less than €20 million, I think it's certainly something to consider.

Arsenio Venger

Well, no offense to your friends, but fans often don't really understand a player's talents unless they're getting goals and assists (especially midfielders). He's not that type of player. If you take a look at his CIES/OptaStats measures, he ranks very low in shooting and chance creation. But he ranks pretty high in rigor (physical strength, timing, concentration), recovery (tactical intelligence, positional awareness, stamina) and distribution (technique, vision).

When he was at Valencia, he was arguably their best player. Certainly by far their best playmaker. He was even picked for the Europa League Best XI. There's a reason Barcelona wanted him. He also started for Portugal when they won Euro 2016. But he's found his chances limited at Barcelona, playing behind Busquets and Rakatic. That hurt his chances of making the World Cup team (he was among the final cuts).

As I've said many times, not every player has to be a galactico. He's the sort of tall defensive midfielder that Emery is said to want to add. That doesn't mean he's looking for someone to be a fixture in the lineup (although Gomes has the potential to be that). So if he's available for less than €20 million, I think it's certainly something to consider.

No offense to you, but we’ve seen him play more than you have, and I’m not saying they’re experts but they’ve been watching La Liga for over 20 years and aren’t swayed by goals and assists. I value their opinion. The guy has no touch and showed no skill these past two years.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
No offense to you, but we’ve seen him play more than you have, and I’m not saying they’re experts but they’ve been watching La Liga for over 20 years and aren’t swayed by goals and assists. I value their opinion. The guy has no touch and showed no skill these past two years.

Not sure how you know how much I've seen him play (especially since I'm a Valencia fan and watch Barcelona quite often), but regardless I'll always put more stock in professional scouts than a bunch of fans sitting around talking crap.

Arsenio Venger

Not sure how you know how much I've seen him play (especially since I'm a Valencia fan and watch Barcelona quite often), but regardless I'll always put more stock in professional scouts than a bunch of fans sitting around talking crap.

And right now Barca is trying to give him away and only Sp**s are biting, so what does that tell you?

And yeah, I don’t know how much you’ve seen him play but you don’t know wth my friends value so once you make an assumption don’t act like I’m gonna let that go without making one of my own.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Interesting. I know nothing of him but it's a real mixed bag of opinions on here. Not sure if the negatives are just bandwagoning?

I outed myself as someone who only knows him from this Barca days where he was pretty poor.

But in summary, I think anyone who actually knows more about him including his performances for Valencia has only one oppinion - which is that he was amazing there and poor/average after.

So it's probably more of a thing of whether one trusts him to become his own best again. Anyone like me who only knows him from his horror at Barcalona should not put too much weight on oneself oppinion as anyone who even played at a half decent level himself should know that confidence and form can make a player look like a worldbeater but also a complete bottler at times.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Last season he looked like he didn’t know how to play football at Barcelona. He was rated worst transfer of la liga in his first season and his second season was even worse. Came out with an interview a couple months ago that he was ashamed, didn’t want to leave his house etc. Don’t want him here, we need elite mentality players. No, por favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom