• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Andre Onana

Iceman10

Established Member
I'm happy having Leno here if he willing to stay don't think he'll sign extension
Arteta's decisions are Arteta's decisions. It's in the balance as to whether Leno would carry over bad form into next season or improve. As long as there is accountability for decisions. If Leno continues to make errors and is substandard with passing the ball around the back, and distribution, there just has to be accountability that resides with Arteta and Edu.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Arteta's decisions are Arteta's decisions. It's in the balance as to whether Leno would carry over bad form into next season or improve. As long as there is accountability for decisions. If Leno continues to make errors and is substandard with passing the ball around the back, and distribution, there just has to be accountability that resides with Arteta and Edu.
He only handful of errors many keepers do that wee are struggling to find respectable backup because of thier demands let alone replacing our number 1. Even if we replace Leno we still have to buy good backup its complicated situation

Iceman10

Established Member
He only handful of errors many keepers do that wee are struggling to find respectable backup because of thier demands let alone replacing our number 1. Even if we replace Leno we still have to buy good backup its complicated situation
His errors costing us points last season, particularly the second half of last season, was on a level with Xhaka, so there shouldn't be a double standard in terms of tolerance. If we want better passing from back to front, beating the opposition press we need improvement, either from him, or a replacement.

At any rate, what I said wasn't particularly controversial. Arteta makes his decisions this summer, and will be held accountable. I hope we can all agree on this simple point instead of saying this or that is "complicated", which just opens things up for excuses, and evasion of accountability.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If this is true then why wouldn't we guarantee it?

Isn't Leno going anyway? Surely if we guarantee Onana will get the no1 spot sort of in transition (as he's still banned till around Novermber right?), and then sell Leno next summer that ties everything up neatly.
I'm guessing we don't have a buyer for Leno. Not the worst thing in the world to still have Leno in goal, he is honestly one of the better keepers in the league. That said, Onana is a lay-up IMO so a little disappointing that it appears he won't come here.

Put it this way. If the alternative is Aaron Ramsdale, I'm sticking with Bernd Leno. Haven't seen anything to suggest Ramsdale is better.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Lyon want Andre Onana NOW and are planning to present an offer to Ajax. The goalkeeper has many options, especially if he will be free in January (como Inter) but is now considering playing in France. To see in the next few days

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Peter Bosz, Ajax previous coach is at Lyon now. He highly rates Onana.

If we're not binning Leno this summer then I hope we go for Onana after all. Will provide competition for the second half of the season and then he can slowly regain match fitness. I'm confident he's better than Leno if he returns to his old level, but he will need time. Leno will have another season as first keeper, so that should be enough for him. Can leave next season if he loses the competition.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So we are going to spend 50 million on a ball playing centre back and keep a goal keeper who can't pass the ball to him. Statisticall Leno basically went long and we gave up building from the back.

Iceman10

Established Member
So we are going to spend 50 million on a ball playing centre back and keep a goal keeper who can't pass the ball to him. Statisticall Leno basically went long and we gave up building from the back.
Was thinking the same. If you are looking at a CB and CM for better passing from the back and efficient transition, all of that would be countered when sticking with Leno. Just sticking with Leno because a good replacement cannot j be identified, but that is not a good excuse if you really have a "warchest", with that there shouldn't/wouldn't be a problem selling Leno and looking at a 50-70m price bracket if needed. That would be if Mikel's words of "ruthless" and "be excited" carried any credibility. This is all under the assumption also that Onana isn't good enough for whatever reason, and on that I don't know why exactly the club has seemingly decided to back off.

Goonger

Was that not a bit partly because the players in front of Leno weren't comfortable when they got the ball, so rather than putting them under more pressure he would kick it long.

Passing 10 yards out to a centre back shouldn't be difficult to do. The problems arise when that centre back doesn't know what to do, or the deepest midfielder panics & does a Xhaka vs Burnley.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Leno was meant to be quite good with his feet. I'm guessing there's some of what @Goonger says, where he just doesn't trust the players he's passing it to. Let's hope next season with more capable defenders on the ball (White and Gabriel / ¿Marí?) he shows the quality with his feet he was purported to have. He does have a decent technique on the ball so I think it's reasonable to have this hope. Though of course a decent, clean technique on the ball is just half the battle, composure and decision making is the other and maybe he's just quite lacking in that part.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Leno was meant to be quite good with his feet. I'm guessing there's some of what @Goonger says, where he just doesn't trust the players he's passing it to. Let's hope next season with more capable defenders on the ball (White and Gabriel / ¿Marí?) he shows the quality with his feet he was purported to have. He does have a decent technique on the ball so I think it's reasonable to have this hope. Though of course a decent, clean technique on the ball is just half the battle, composure and decision making is the other and maybe he's just quite lacking in that part.
Great bump

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
Such an obvious cheap signing and we can't get it. I don't understand some of the things we do. In 2 years time we will be looking him for 30m.
I think Onana wants guarantee of being a starter and Arsenal obv can't do that with Leno being here.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz

Out of necessity when Luiz and Tierney started racking up injuries and Xhaka made individual mistakes that led to goals. We also had build up issues for the vast majority of the season for various reasons (Leno included so I'm not scapegoating him).

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I think Onana wants guarantee of being a starter and Arsenal obv can't do that with Leno being here.
Onana can't play until November or something. At that time he will be rusty and still require work to get up to speed. By then it's about January time. You say to him look. Our plan is to sell Leno summer 2022 and you are his replacement.

He is the one who has the ban. He is the one who can't play until at least November. I dont see how he can go to a club and demand that the minute he can legally start playing he is number 1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom