• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Andrea Caracciolo

Ratinho

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Italians usually aren't as wasteful as Johnson. And they can all head a ball.

Johnson is a bloody good header of a ball, and he scored his best goal this season from a glancing header. I see your point though, as he does look a bit of a midget.

And from the little i've heard about him asa, he's very promising but when it comes down to it, what do we do with a target man? :?:

asajoseph

Established Member
Thanks Ratinho...

I guess we do whatever Wenger wanted to do when he signed Franny Jeffers. Whatever that was, remains to be seen.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
one of our problems in europe has been an absence of a plan B. if there's a team that refuses to **** themselves and figures us out, we're done. this could be like having a dunc ferguson. someone to throw on when a physical presence in the box is required. sometimes teams pack the box so much that all you can really do is put it in the air. working little intricate patterns on the floor like we do wont cut it when there are 10 men protecting the keeper. at least if this guy comes, we have an added dimension to our game. i welcome a target man. having one doesnt mean we'll morph into bolton over night but it certainly means growth for the team. its means we have a new approach available when it is needed. we havent signed him yet and this rumour will probably die like so many before it but people opposing the idea of a target man in the squad baffles me. i'd rather we went into games with one on the bench than run into games where one is needed and not have him available

asajoseph

Established Member
Great point gunnertilldeath.

Can't help feeling that John Carew is the better man for the job though...;)

kel varnsen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Great point gunnertilldeath.

Can't help feeling that John Carew is the better man for the job though...;)

HELLA NO!!! john carew is sh*te; no vision and the ball control of neil ruddock. no way, no how!!!

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
kel, is this the same john carew who singlehandedly made valencia arsenal's worst nightmare?? the guy killed us so many times. he's lost it to an extent but he isnt and has never been "****e".

Gurgen

Established Member
Can you believe that while playing FM Carew's agent actually approached me because he wanted to join Arsenal. As if, I won't ever forgive him.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
what good is a tall player who can head the ball when we dont play that style? we play cutting runs, inside out, etc.. we dont play traditional wingers who just sit there and cross the ball in... if the guy is best at heading, he would be completely lost at Arsenal....

to be honest, i have never heard of him...

and John Carew? no thank you... nowhere near the quality he once had.. isnt he in Turkey these days? isnt that where players go when they cant find teams in bigger leagues? (see Anelka) LOL

asajoseph

Established Member
Good grief...

For all those who missed the irony the first time round - I brought up John Carew as a joke!

Lol...

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
USArsenal said:
what good is a tall player who can head the ball when we dont play that style? we play cutting runs, inside out, etc.. we dont play traditional wingers who just sit there and cross the ball in... if the guy is best at heading, he would be completely lost at Arsenal....

to be honest, i have never heard of him...

and John Carew? no thank you... nowhere near the quality he once had.. isnt he in Turkey these days? isnt that where players go when they cant find teams in bigger leagues? (see Anelka) LOL

the team needs to grow and i'm sure you will agree with me that the lack of a plan B has hurt us badly in europe. the team keeps playing these intricate patterns. its all well and good. most of the time it works, sometimes (especially in europe and against physical teams) it doesnt work. we need an alternative, a back up plan to the cutting run game that we play. i'm not saying we should dump our style but we should have a backup. thats why i'd be really happy to see a target man in the squad and i hope wenger sees it the same way. we'll end up with a more well rounded team. when theres 10 opposition players in the box, you're not going to get in with the ball on the ground. you need to go into the air. play it over their heads and hope one of your players gets on the end of a cross. we're locked into that fast pattern play, even when its not working. a target man will do us a world of good IMO. at least so we have the option of more direct football when our regular style fails.

Canuck

Established Member
I'd have to say it's obvious that currently we don't play the wide crosses or the long ball much but theres a reason for that. It's not our game, but the times they are a changin' and remember that things just won't be the same with DB being phased out (and yes Wenger will be phasing him out). It drastically reduces our ability to feed those cutting passes through the defence on the ground when he isn't playing. Though Cesc has shown great vision and a couple players have been touted as his replacements (HA! Not bloody likely!) We already like to run the ball wide alot then cut in, so it wouldn't be too hard to just start crossing from the wide position, though that would go against our top scorer's style of playing. The main problems with this besides not accomodating Henry are: 1. don't have a great crosser for deliveries. Though we could get around this since we have players that are capable of getting the ball in there. 2. Don't have a target man. Will we get one? *Shrug* H*ll if I know what Wenger has in store.

Ziontrain

Too many folks have no vision. Freddy Ljunberg on most teams would look like a waste - not better than the countless earnest-but-unexceptional Scandinavian players we come across all the time.

On Arsenal however, Ljunberg looks like a near-superstar. Why? Wenger uses him in a way that flatters him. I mean, don't tell me that a light weight right-winger who can't dribble his way past my grandmother is an obvious choice! Even on Man U or Real Madrid, Ljunberg would be ****e!

All depends on how you fit into the team and what strategy the manger choses when you are in the game.

Carew is strong and fast and he has a touch better than most big men. Not on Zlatan or Kanu's level, but still well above average for a big man. Carew's failings as a player are really all mental - and there is no one better than Wenger at putting a player in his best context.

So you can be as foolish as you want, but actually a player of Carew's type is exaclty what we need. I don't care what he looks like elsewhere. He would do a very useful job here - and not only would he be better of for it, but so would we as a team. Football is not like fantasy league - sometimes there intangibles of a managers insights can make a.n otherwise medoicre guy VERY useful on a team. Case in point: Andy Johnson. Birmingham scrapped him, Dowie has found a way to make him very usefull, both to his and Palace's benefit.

Carew would be very useful here. That's really the truth of the matter.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Ziontrain said:
Too many folks have no vision. Freddy Ljunberg on most teams would look like a waste - not better than the countless earnest-but-unexceptional Scandinavian players we come across all the time.

On Arsenal however, Ljunberg looks like a near-superstar. Why? Wenger uses him in a way that flatters him. I mean, don't tell me that a light weight right-winger who can't dribble his way past my grandmother is an obvious choice! Even on Man U or Real Madrid, Ljunberg would be s***e!

All depends on how you fit into the team and what strategy the manger choses when you are in the game.

Carew is strong and fast and he has a touch better than most big men. Not on Zlatan or Kanu's level, but still well above average for a big man. Carew's failings as a player are really all mental - and there is no one better than Wenger at putting a player in his best context.

So you can be as foolish as you want, but actually a player of Carew's type is exaclty what we need. I don't care what he looks like elsewhere. He would do a very useful job here - and not only would he be better of for it, but so would we as a team. Football is not like fantasy league - sometimes there intangibles of a managers insights can make a.n otherwise medoicre guy VERY useful on a team. Case in point: Andy Johnson. Birmingham scrapped him, Dowie has found a way to make him very usefull, both to his and Palace's benefit.

Carew would be very useful here. That's really the truth of the matter.

i think the whole Carew thing was initially a joke.

That being said I think you'll find a lot of clubs would use FL8. He has been couted by both Milan giants, Juve and Real Madrid.

I dont believe you are correct about your assessment of FL8's abilities.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I wouldn't be opposed to signing a target man with good technique on the cheap. It will only help us in the long run. He can stick up front when our strikers are being outmuscled and help bring other players into play. This is why I'd like us to sign Bojinov, because he has excellent technique, power and finishing, and the physical capacity to play as a target man if needed. I Juve aren't in for him, I hope we show interest.

Top Bottom