• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Andrea Caracciolo

asajoseph

Established Member
Tribal football usually uses other media sources a day late, and it's usually quoted.

This time however, it's not...

mood

I'd pay half the price more for Gilardino. He's the real deal and future of Italy.

asajoseph

Established Member
For Gilardino? I'd stretch to 20 million pounds. Anything to stop Wenger blowing it on Beckham and Earnshaw... :lol:

Asterix

Established Member
The Beeb's rumours page has picked up on this too - this time from The Independent. It's all probably just rehashing the old story isn't it? Agent mongering.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4507663.stm

Interesting that they (well, The Sun) say 'Pool are going to sign keeper Jose Reina from Villareal. He'd be going from a Champs League team to a UEFA cup team. :)

jeromelee

Come on asajoseph, since when have we started believing in tribalfootball? They're really the scion of football rumour monkeys.

gunner_down_under

what a name anyway!!...tribal football....but they have been right with a lot of rumours for us.....they predicted ronaldinho after the world cup, harry kewell, jaap stam, van der vaart, robben and robinho!......

asajoseph

Established Member
jeromelee said:
Come on asajoseph, since when have we started believing in tribalfootball? They're really the scion of football rumour monkeys.

Hey hey... who said anything about believing them? I'm just reporting the rumour... Tribalfootball aren't ever the original source for most of their rumours - most of them are taken from news sources around the world and reported a day late. It's not the fact that they're lying that makes them unreliable. It's the fact that they aren't particularly selective about where they plagiarise their material.

goonerlove

This move does not make sense to me. Unless AW really thinks this guy is a star or is truly looking for a "plan B" striker, it is very odd. We have the world's best striker followed by:

1) An aging legend who is past his prime

2) A star-in-the-making speedster in Reyes - not the finished article yet and has shown to have problems in physical games - and sometimes plays winger

3) Another star-in-the-making crafty striker in RVP - not the finished article yet and is still a little light-weight at times - in some ways, more of the prototypical striker than Reyes

4) A very talented but injury-prone youngster in Ali - not sure what to make of him. He looks bulked up and could be a great player, but my guess is that he will find a place for a productive career in the French league at some point

5) 2 more VERY young and talented goal-scorers in Lupoli and Bendtner... too young to do much for at least 1-3 years

6) Smith or Quincy - probably wingers.. still too young (and Smith has been set back with injuries)

Ok ... so what is our issue?

We are too young at striker. And we are too small/weak in physical games. If Henry can't play due to injury, we are really light.

We need to get these guys games for them to develop. So what do we do?

In my opinion - don't buy anyone unless they are top-notch star quality. Give Henry more rest during the campaign and give our young stars a chance to continue to develop in the Carling and FA Cups, as well as spot appearances in the Prem. Getting another young (i.e., 24 or less) player does not make sense - nor does getting a squad player.

I even have my doubts about trying to fill the need for a bigger, more physical type - UNLESS they are also technically gifted. Maybe Caraciolo is a big talent and is just suffering from playing for a poor team - and maybe AW can make a star out of him. But it would do more harm than good to buy a less than great player just to make our bench larger at striker.

Get a star if you are gonna buy someone at striker AW. Otherwise, lets focus on winger or defense or goalkeeper. Maybe a replacement for Ash (although I think Clichy could do well there). Get a star who can ease the burden that Henry currently has and can help us when we seem stuck - and when Henry is injured. Otherwise, invest elsewhere and continue to give our star youth a chance to develop.

Goonerlove

jeromelee

Well, if all we're competing against are West Ham, Udinese and Palermo, I really don't see how we will lose out in our fight to get him (if AW is really after him). But doubt it. I think this will be another rumour for my vault of rumours filing cabinet in the basement.

asajoseph

Established Member
Hmmm...

If you believe Wenger, we've lost out on Earnshaw to WBA and Ashton to Norwich - seems like no club is too small to fight Arsenal in the transfer market. ;)

Anyhow, if Arsène thinks this guy's got anything to give in either our plan A, or honestly, our plan B, Freddie might as well pack his bags now, because this guy certainly doesn't represent ambition in the transfer market.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom