• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Andreas Weimann

leo_ense

Established Member
Weimann has yet to agree a new contract at Aston Villa, with his current deal set expire at the end of next season.

The 21-year-old has personally enjoyed a stellar season with the struggling Villans, attracting interest from home and abroad after scoring 11 goals in 30 appearances for Paul Lambert's side.

According to German newspaper Bild, Borussia Dortmund have joined Liverpool, Tottenham and also Arsenal and Inter Milan in the running for Weimann, who is thought to be available for as little as £2.5m this summer.

Dortmund are on the lookout for a replacement for potential striking departure Robert Lewandowski, who is reportedly set to move to either Manchester United or Bayern Munich at the end of the season.

The report indicates that Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp and directors Michael Zorc and Hans-Joachim Watzke would be interested in a cut-price move for the Austrian youngster, who recently turned down an extension from Villa.

Weimann's wage is reported to be around £15,000 per week, of which Dortmund could offer a raise so as to help secure him from their European rivals.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/387143/Dortmund-eye-swoop-for-Liverpool-Tottenham-and-Arsenal-target-Andreas-Weimann?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ll+Feed%29</a>

Seeing as Villa are a possibility to go down 2m for this guy is a steal, would certainly have him for that price.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I like Weimann but don't think he's ready for our level. We need to buy the best attacker that we can afford this Summer imo. Add a CM and CB aswell and we're going places.

leo_ense

Established Member
fabo said:
I like Weimann but don't think he's ready for our level. We need to buy the best attacker that we can afford this Summer imo. Add a CM and CB aswell and we're going places.

Definitely, but for 2m this shouldn't get in the way of our plans and at such a low wage this is would be a great minimum risk signing. Chamakh/Arshavin are certainly going to leave but I'm curious what happens with someone like Gervinho, maybe a loan to build form and make a squad space. Also think Gnabry is knocking on the door the be considered a squad option next season so it's probably best to invest in a top class striker. Think we will see one of our other attackers leaving this summer though, could be Gervinho or Podolski but I really hope Podokski sticks around.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Where would Weimann play here? He doesn't look like a wide attacker in our system, or a CF. Behind a striker?

Tbh I think he needs another season at a lower club. Looks a good player though.

Floating

Established Member
No thanks. He's a hard-worker and pops up with some goals, but I think we should be aiming much higher.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Good player, would play out wide here, would he be effective there? Not sure at all.

We are the stage where we need guys who would get into our first team and perform, the only young guys we should sign are the exceptional ones - Zaha.

Pea-Tear-Griffin

Floating said:
No thanks. He's a hard-worker and pops up with some goals, but I think we should be aiming much higher.

He could be a development player like people are claiming they want Cornelius, yet he is more proven and cheaper.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Pea-Tear-Griffin said:
Floating said:

He could be a development player like people are claiming they want Cornelius, yet he is more proven and cheaper.

We already have many development players in Wiemanns positions, unlike at CF where we have NONE - hence Cornelius and Sanogo. I wanted Zaha to be our development CF.

Zaha would have been such a perfect fit its unreal,should have battled with Manure for him.

Danni

I have similar views to some of the guys here aswell.

He has been excellent at Villa this season, and has shone alongside Benteke. He also seems like a sharp player with good finishing in the box, but he just isn't the type of player we should be looking at, not even for our bench. I'd honestly rather have Gervinho on the bench, who despite his shortcomings, can come on and produce something which creates a little more energy to our performances (e.g, away at Bayern and Swansea). Arsène should - and will - prioritise our money for better players.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
There's only 1 Villa player who we should be in for and that's Benteke who I'd be happy to be our no9

Weimann is a big strong powerful forward but he's not better than Giroud or Bendtner in what he does.

GDeep said:
Pea-Tear-Griffin said:
Floating said:

We already have many development players in Wiemanns positions, unlike at CF where we have NONE - hence Cornelius and Sanogo. I wanted Zaha to be our development CF.

Zaha would have been such a perfect fit its unreal,should have battled with Manure for him.

Zaha is a headless chicken, he's basically Taarabt without the shot. 15 million for him was English madness

Floating

Established Member
Yeah, I'm not so sure Zaha will set the world alight — he's a great dribbler, and can embarrass Championship defenders, but he seems brainless at times, and his productivity isn't very impressive

Not saying he'll be a flop, but it's hard to tell if he'll be another Taraabt, or if he'll make the massive leap necessary to perform at a club like United.

Glovegun

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
There's only 1 Villa player who we should be in for and that's Benteke who I'd be happy to be our no9

Weimann is a big strong powerful forward but he's not better than Giroud or Bendtner in what he does.

Weimann is nothing like Giroud or Bendtner. He might be fairly tall but I don't think that his game is about strength or aerial play. He's quite a clever forward who uses space well.

I'd take him, would be a good option to have off the bench.

musicmonkey

Established Member
I'd take him, think he could slot into the Gervinho role quite nicely. Can't see us spending on a wide forward whilst we need players in other areas and i think we're lacking for depth in the wide areas.

thedon5

He would be a good squad player with Arshavin leaving. You can't really go wrong at that price range for a player like him with PL experience. Young too so he could

He is young so he could grow to become a tidy little player, for now though he has been great for Villa. His drive is absolutely amazing. I remember his performance against Newcastle earlier in the season. They were awful in the first half, he came on at half-time and instantly Villa were full of chances and he was at the centre of most of them. That's the sort of ability he can bring to us, I see him as something who can make a huge difference off the bench at least for now. He is always lively and has some other good attributes too like his decent finishing and pace. He is better than Gervinho off the bench for sure IMO.

A move to Arsenal could be what he needs to step up his career and his consistency, mind you a loan to another club for a season could do him good as well. Maybe back to Aston Villa if they stay up.

I'd still rather we picked up Benteke though, seeing how quickly he transitioned from Belgium to the PL, he should be performing well for us from the start, unlike perhaps Weimann would as he has needed to bed in at Villa and has only really began to shine this season.

Glovegun

Established Member
Benteke and Giroud are fairly similar players - if we are to go after other strikers I'd rather we brought in someone who could offer something different. I like Benteke, but although he's quicker than Giroud and a bit more dynamic, I don't think he's as clever and doesn't have such good link-up play.

If we continue to play with a front three I reckon we need six players who can play up there - plus Cazorla. I highly doubt that Chamakh, Bendnter or Arshavin will be at Arsenal next season. Miyaichi and Campbell will probably go out on loan again.

Walcott, Podolski, Giroud and Chamberlain currently gives us four, and I'd guess that Gervinho will be given one more season.

If Wenger goes after this superstar striker we're all demanding (Jovetic, Villa, whoever) is there room for Weimann?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Glovegun said:
Benteke and Giroud are fairly similar players - if we are to go after other strikers I'd rather we brought in someone who could offer something different. I like Benteke, but although he's quicker than Giroud and a bit more dynamic, I don't think he's as clever and doesn't have such good link-up play.

If we continue to play with a front three I reckon we need six players who can play up there - plus Cazorla. I highly doubt that Chamakh, Bendnter or Arshavin will be at Arsenal next season. Miyaichi and Campbell will probably go out on loan again.

Walcott, Podolski, Giroud and Chamberlain currently gives us four, and I'd guess that Gervinho will be given one more season.

If Wenger goes after this superstar striker we're all demanding (Jovetic, Villa, whoever) is there room for Weimann?

I used to think that too. Then I actually watched him for 4-5 games and **** me his passing is superb. Stevo pointed this out to me and I watched Benteke closely to actually see if he was right, and he most certainly was.

Top Bottom