• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Angers SCO v Arsenal | July 31 | KO: 18:30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
It still comes down to stupid instructions from the manager. Willock is an 8. Yet when he came on yesterday he was given the instruction to play as a 10. He came on, basically played off the striker not receiving the ball. He got involved when he became one of the two sitters.

The way we look to progress out of the back is ridiculous. Pass the ball along the back four until a midfielder is able to receive it on his correct foot, not take a year to turn and have the balls to play a forward pass to a number 10 who has found space. He will then play it wide and our winger who can't take anyone on will either slide it to the full back or go back to one of our two pivots to start the cycle again. If we lose the ball and our full back is high up the opposition simply receive the ball in their space and run at us for 20 yards because our two pivot players can't tackle or run. If the number 10 can't receive it the opposition midfielders can simply run through our midfield because one of them can't move. If we press and fail to win the ball they can run through us because we have no numbers or pace centrally. They can also just hit it over the top and chase because our defence is clueless and our midfield can't win the second ball.

The way Emery wants to play and the way he sets us up encourages the opposition and brings them confidence.

What is the point of having Auba, Laca and Pepe if they score and then walk back hands on hips watching as our midfielders don't tackle, track, get outnumbered, out paced and our defenders are exposed and feel the need to make desperate attempts to defend leaving to the opposition scoring. Pepe will not prevent any of that from reoccuring. I don't even think a top centre back will change that as Emery will happily play Xhaka and Guendouzi as a double Pivot.
I completely agree. Really dislike Emery's midfield "system".

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Would definitely not be happy with a Xhaka - Guendouzi double pivot. Could only see the first half until there was a mysterious partial power outage in my neighbourhood, but Guendouzi looked really poor. Thought we generally looked poor in the first half, unable to reach our attackers in dangerous positions.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It still comes down to stupid instructions from the manager. Willock is an 8. Yet when he came on yesterday he was given the instruction to play as a 10. He came on, basically played off the striker not receiving the ball. He got involved when he became one of the two sitters.

The way we look to progress out of the back is ridiculous. Pass the ball along the back four until a midfielder is able to receive it on his correct foot, not take a year to turn and have the balls to play a forward pass to a number 10 who has found space. He will then play it wide and our winger who can't take anyone on will either slide it to the full back or go back to one of our two pivots to start the cycle again. If we lose the ball and our full back is high up the opposition simply receive the ball in their space and run at us for 20 yards because our two pivot players can't tackle or run. If the number 10 can't receive it the opposition midfielders can simply run through our midfield because one of them can't move. If we press and fail to win the ball they can run through us because we have no numbers or pace centrally. They can also just hit it over the top and chase because our defence is clueless and our midfield can't win the second ball.

The way Emery wants to play and the way he sets us up encourages the opposition and brings them confidence.

What is the point of having Auba, Laca and Pepe if they score and then walk back hands on hips watching as our midfielders don't tackle, track, get outnumbered, out paced and our defenders are exposed and feel the need to make desperate attempts to defend leaving to the opposition scoring. Pepe will not prevent any of that from reoccuring. I don't even think a top centre back will change that as Emery will happily play Xhaka and Guendouzi as a double Pivot.
Let’s hope he works it out this season with Ceballos, it won’t get worse at least :lol:

When we played 3atb it was even worse. It was literally our 2 CMs stranded with no one remotely close to them. They kept getting ran at and looked like headless chickens. It was no surprise all 3 of our mains CMs were trash from December/January onwards.

4atb is more compact. And if Emery hopefully plays Ceballos just in front of the two CMs rather than a 10 or in a free role, we will be better off (that’s his preferred position anyway)

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Would definitely not be happy with a Xhaka - Guendouzi double pivot. Could only see the first half until there was a mysterious partial power outage in my neighbourhood, but Guendouzi looked really poor. Thought we generally looked poor in the first half, unable to reach our attackers in dangerous positions.
Guendouzi has such a nice long pass on him, but apart from that he can be terrible at times. He’s still young but if he continues like this he’s gonna be a one trick pony.

Needs to his hit the gym and start carrying the ball forward. He’s not a DLP imo his future is as a b2b or 8. He has the technical ability and engine to pull off those roles.

Can maybe become a DLP much later in his career.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yep I agree and like you said the excuses aren't there anymore, we have all of the tools there to create a mobile and pretty dynamic midfield in Torreira, Ceballos and Willock.

I do like Guendouzi though, I don't think he's that bad physically (atleast he's much more mobile compared to Xhaka, but then my deceased Great Grandfather is) and his long passes are wonderful.

I suppose in the more physically demanding matches in which we need to make sure our midfield is not trampled (flashbacks to Leicester, Wolves even Watford away) we need to match the physicality.

Perhaps at home against certain teams we could go with Guendouzi, Torreira and Ceballos three. I don't want Xhaka in the team if it can be helped.

We get caught so badly and so often on the break in Emery's system too, I've never really worked out why this is (I'm clearly a master tactician) but what you've said about the full backs being caught upfield and our midfield not being able to track back makes a lot of sense.

Emery really needs to nail his system because his pseudo-pragmatic but somehow can't defend style of play is f*cking annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom