• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Antti Niemi

Jinn

Established Member
Hah, its funny how Arsenal are denying a bid for him - and he and Southampton are rubbishing reports that he wants to come here.

It's a complete non-event!

Sammer

Established Member
I just heard about that rumour on EUROSPORT teletext - they usually don´t really post news, if they are not likely to happen.

Niemi is a very good keeper, but he is 32 (!).

I would rather have Arsène look for a younger keeper in the summer, if he wants to replace Lehmann. A long-term solution should be our aim - again I have to mention Coupet or Hildebrandt.

KlurgsSporg

Coupet is good but he's not consistent, Jens just made a mad save to make it 0-0 against newcastle but one good save cant make up for 20 bad mistakes

Sammer

Established Member
Jens had a brilliant game today.

That´s how he played his last season(s) at Borussia Dortmund - hope he will bounce back with more rock solid performances like today.

AFCG7

Established Member
I think we should get Stack in there.. he's quick , agile and a good shot stopper already..given a good run he could be our number one for a long time.

SuperBob

'Southampton star Antti Niemi has revealed he would revel in the chance to solve Manchester United's keeper crisis. '

"I'm happy at Southampton but if either Manchester United or Arsenal came in I would have to want to talk with them."

He's definately right about that!

<a class="postlink" href="http://wwiii.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3?id=53473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wwiii.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3?id=53473</a>

Would love to see this guy at Arsenal, think he might replace Lehmann.

shonsuperstar

he's a top-class goalie. I dont think i've ever seen him do a ****-up. Fantastic reflexes and good position. Would'nt think he'd cost more than £3-4 mil.

JazzG

Established Member
I think he would be a fantastic keeper for us, he is used to the PL style so we don't have to worry about him adapting to life here and he is proven. I remember in the FA Cup final how he single handidly was keeping Henry at bay!

malagar

No need for that guy in my opinion .
For 3-4 mil we can get better keepers and I think that ALmunia might be better then Niemi.
And Niemi is already 32 which means he would be the solution for 2-3 years again.
We need somone around 24-25 who can be our top man for 10 years or so .

Ridge

yeah, he's not good enought for Arsenal i think. plus he's too old. Hildebrandt i have to say again. but Almunia is doing pretty good now. so no keeper until summer.

shonsuperstar

is he realy 32! :shock: i thought he was 29-30. forget what i said then. How old is Hilderband and how much would he cost?(roughly)

malagar

Hildebrand just became 26
And his contract ends this summer.
Stuttgart is quite worried because he hasnt signed a new one yet.
So all things done poprerly he could move to us for a free in summer .

malagar

1 - Antti Niemi
Club: Southampton
Shirt Number: 1
Position: Goalkeeper
Date of Birth: May 31, 1972
Birthplace: Oulu, Finland
Height: 6' 1''
Weight: 14.3
As you can see Niemi turns 33 in a few months

malagar

Hildebrand was born at 05.04.1979 so he is still 25 and turns 26 in April - so he is around 7 years younger then Niemi
His height is 1m85 - quite ideal for a keeper in my opinion , and he should have around 150 Bundesliga games under his belt by now .

JazzG

Established Member
Considering how much we have wasted on keepers in past I don't think 3-4mill is a lot at all for a player his age. Like I said in a thread a while back players like Seaman and Schmeichel were at their peak when they were this old, GKs peak in their thirties so I think this would make sense for us. Seaman joined us when he was about 27 in 1990, after 5 or 6 years he was at his peak. He is available for the CL as well which is a big bonus.

Along with Cech he is easily the best keeper in this country, so I'm not quite sure why people don't think he is good enough. He is a brilliant keeper, ask any Southampton fan and they won't shut up about how great he is. Lehmann has a suspect temperament and looks likely to leave soon and Alumunia looks a good shot stopper but at crosses looks poor. IMO I only think he is playing because Wenger or someone has fallen out with Lehmann.

Hildebrand is a good keeper also but with him, does he know English? Will he settle into the english lifestyle and will he settle into the physical nature of the PL or will he moan about it like Lehmann? How long does he have left on his contract? Far too much time and money has been wasted over this GK situation, we need to sort it out ASAP.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom