• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Are direct corners dead?

lucky7

https://www.tifofootball.com/video/are-corner-kicks-becoming-irrelevant-in-football/
A new article just came out about decreasing threat from corners. The article states that since 2000 in the big 5 leagues 40% of all direct corners do not clear the first man, 3.3% of corners eventually result in a goal, but interestingly only 1% of direct corners lead directly to goals.

This implies that second chances or short corners result in ~70% of all corner goals. If failure rate at the first man is 40% with direct corners then short corners become a much improved method to create opportunities even if the failures are sometimes painful to watch.

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/revealed-premier-leagues-corner-kick-kings
This article discusses the risks of counter-attack to attacking teams on corners. Essentially every corner results in approximately a .4% of conceding a goal on the counter. This further eats into the value of corners.

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/revealed-premier-leagues-corner-kick-kings
This article brings up an really interesting statistic about which teams are successful at scoring and defending corners. Interestingly having players with high ranks in aerial duels won did not directly relate to success at corners either attacking or defending.

It gives the example of Burnley who had 4 of the top 15 players in the league for aerial duels yet scored 0 goals from corners and Leicester City who with Maguire, Huth, and Morgan at the back conceded the third most from corners in the 17/18 season. It seems that the defensive systems and ability to work the ball into the box offensively were much bigger factors in success than having aerial dominance.

ArsenalFever

Top players create more opportunities on and off the ball, so the statistics as a whole I would say are obsolete.
Short corners are pretty similar to open play, so that statistic could apply anywhere on the pitch, when I personally take corners, I sometimes prefer the short corner, but I play 7 a side and the box is usually very crowded with much more space for opportunity outside the box.

I think it truly depends on the quality of players on the best route to go, with the top players usually playing for the top teams, the good statistics would only be relative to the "better" quality of team imo, and that seems to be the natural hierarchy of football in all general aspects.

The short corner statistics you mentioned, I don't think they're as simple to just take for granted.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just a season ago, we were banging the corners in. I think its a fine line between success and failure.

Used to actually look forward to opposition corners, as we score some fantastic counter goals.

neimad

Just a season ago, we were banging the corners in. I think its a fine line between success and failure.

Used to actually look forward to opposition corners, as we score some fantastic counter goals.

I actually dread ours now for this very reason. We seem to get worse with this too. Being very susceptible to counters on our own corners.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I actually dread ours now for this very reason. We seem to get worse with this too. Being very susceptible to counters on our own corners.
think it's because Bellerin got injured. He was quite rapid and could prevent them.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
It breaks me how often we play a short corner. Put the ball into a danger area quickly - simple.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
One thing I will never get about footballers is their crossing/corner kicks.

These guys can pluck the ball out the air like its nothing, and just generally embarass amateur/semi pro players, but then they consistently hit the first man with crosses and corners?? What is up with that seriously.

It's not hard to accurately cross a ball even as a decent amateur player.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
think it's because Bellerin got injured. He was quite rapid and could prevent them.
Yeh bellerin is literally the perfect player for corners. Too small so no excuse for him to be wondering into the box. But he has the pace to recover and defend from counter attacks. We have 0 pace in our side without Bellerin when you ignore Auba who is going to be in the opposition penalty box.

I'm hoping for a mobile CM and Tierney to help us prevent silly counter attack goals.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

A corner that doesnt clear the first man can still be put in the box after, or a breaking ball can be rifled into the top corner.

The demise of the corner is over stated.

Top Bottom