• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène does it again - Gael Clichy

GoonerLuke

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/foo ... ce=Evening

Nice article about Clichy. Sounds very willing to work for his place in the team and level headed. I want to know some history on this 18 year old LB who Arsène signed on a free this summer. How does Arsène pull these rabbits out of his hat? Surely one of Wenger's french connections coached Clichy at some level. The kid seems very talented, and was willing to come to Arsenal, where England's starting LB happens to be ahead of him. I don't quite understand this actually. If anyone knows anything about Clichy that is not covered in the article, post it here.

Also, for those who have seen the lad play, does it look like he could give Ash a run for his money in a few years time? Or maybe Clichy has the attacking skills to take over at LM when Pires retires?

Rest assured though, because Arsène knows, Arsène always knows.

lewdikris

Established Member
Clichy is extremely good. The most 'finished' of the kids that i've seen. Vs Rotherham he was clear man of the match - a class apart.

He played 20 odd times for Cannes last year (where Vieira started), who got relegated.

He is mini-Ash basically. Except faster - plenty faster. Which is going some. Second only to Titi at the club. He definitely has a future at this club, but whether it's at left back or as a left-sided midfielder, who knows. Main thing is, he has serious serious talent.

Adam

Established Member
He's not as strong or as bult as Ash (even though Ash is hardly that) but he has a few years of physical development. I think he will become a first team player at some point.

Jinn

Established Member
And he's committed to the club:

"This, for me, is the best club, the club I always followed when I was in France," he said.

"I loved Arsenal before I came here and now I love them even more. It is the club of my dreams."

Either sooner or later, he'll be an Arsenal first-teamer.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Clichy's got all the makings of being an outstanding player. He's looked very sure and composed so far and doesn't panic. He'll be a first team regular sooner rather then later imo. Amazing what Arsène can do with just £1.5m. Clichy and Lehmann are two quality signings.

Mark

Established Member
i think he would be better at LB than LM because he is good defensively. i imagine his best position would really be LWB but we don't play like that. he's very impressive and could take cole's place in a few years if he gets even better.

Jinn

Established Member
Goonergurjit said:
Clichy's got all the makings of being an outstanding player. He's looked very sure and composed so far and doesn't panic. He'll be a first team regular sooner rather then later imo. Amazing what Arsène can do with just £1.5m. Clichy and Lehmann are two quality signings.

Yes, I'm sure if we paid 4 million it would still be good value for money.

patrick42uk

Established Member
he played 13 games for cannes last season in a team that got relegated. he is quite quick and i was impressed with his defensive performance on tuesday against a wing back twice his size. he is very promising but with ash being so young it might take him a very long time to hold down regular place. For now, he is a very useful squad member. Who knows, maybe in some games we could have clichy and cole starting down the left with both alternating between attacking and defending. that sounds quite exciting.

G-F

We might get a chance to see more of Clichy with Ashley's 3 game ban. Chances of him starting against Bolton seem to be quite good.

However, it'll be interesting if Arsène drafts Cygan into LB as he is in form. However, I would feel much safer if he was left on the bench.

Mark

Established Member
i don't want cygan to play at left back. he's no good there. it's much better to give clichy a try.

GoonerLuke

G-F said:
it'll be interesting if Arsène drafts Cygan into LB as he is in form. However, I would feel much safer if he was left on the bench.

I think Clichy will definitely start at LB during Ashley's suspension. With Cygan's lack of pace, Clichy's speed will be a definite asset on the left flank.

A

Anonymous

He looked a little out of his depth when he played at Birmingham, but he played ok.

He definatly needs to become stronger, as do many of our young players imo.

wellman69

but its gonna be hard for him to improve without first team and league games........once ashers is back.....and there is no more league cup games, what happens then???

its just like the henry situation, if anelka had stayed with us, and played with the form that he did, and kanu on fire, would henry have gotten a regular game??

or if cygan had of played well last season/start of this season, would kolo have gotten his chance.......

will alliadiere get a proper chance (by that i mean like regular appearances, starting and not just a few minutes here and there) if we manage to pick up a decent striker in january??

our youngsters do show alot of promise now, but its all wasted talent if they don't get a full go........

Adam

Established Member
For me, he definitely didn't look out of depth in the first half vs Birmingham; he was one of the brighter players. He tired however.

A

Anonymous

Adam said:
For me, he definitely didn't look out of depth in the first half vs Birmingham; he was one of the brighter players. He tired however.

No, he definatly was.

His positioning was all over the place, he looked like a headless chicken at times, he gave the ball away, and was beaten for pace a couple of times.

I cant believe anyone would believe he was one of our better players at brum! Did you go the game?

Adam

Established Member
I watched it on Canal+ at the local. He was playing LM remember. Him and Ashley were solid, and stopped the Brum's threat down that side. He is not a natural midfielder, so what did you expect positionally? I thought he gave us something going forward and helped Ash going backwards. HE did tire because he was running about so much, but hwe gave us good movement and good options. You can't expect him to be positionally exact when he is played out of position.

He played like a youngster trying to make an impression, and i don't understand how you can describe him as having a poor game. He didn't do one bad thing of note which led to anything; which isn't bad for a youngster. His passing wasn't bad - i remember him linking with Henry and Cole neatly, and don't remember him giving the ball away in the defensive third.

Not a superb game from him, but neither a poor game. Solid and mobile.

A

Anonymous

Adam said:
I watched it on Canal+ at the local. He was playing LM remember. Him and Ashley were solid, and stopped the Brum's threat down that side. He is not a natural midfielder, so what did you expect positionally? I thought he gave us something going forward and helped Ash going backwards. HE did tire because he was running about so much, but hwe gave us good movement and good options. You can't expect him to be positionally exact when he is played out of position.

He played like a youngster trying to make an impression, and i don't understand how you can describe him as having a poor game. He didn't do one bad thing of note which led to anything; which isn't bad for a youngster. His passing wasn't bad - i remember him linking with Henry and Cole neatly, and don't remember him giving the ball away in the defensive third.

Fair enough, your opninon differs from mine, thats football.

But your view was restriced to what the cameras let you see. I could see the whole pitch, and im telling you he looked like a player out of his depth.
He was brushed out of the way a couple of times by whoever was playing right wing for them, and skinned once. Cole has to cover for him a couple of times. You are probably right in saying playing left wing contributed to him looking bad positionally etc, so it will be interesting to see how he copes tomorrow.

And i never said he had a poor game. I said he played ok.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He will do very well, he still got to develope physically more but he is still young so give him few more years.
Arsène certainly does have a magic hat of which he produces young lads into football icons

Latest posts+

Top Bottom