• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

"Arsène doesn't coach" & "He's just a good ver. of Redknapp"

sabret00the

Established Member
These are two damning quotes from some of our former players. It's not all damning, they speak highly of him and in admiration of him, even stating they'd always choose to play under him for their last season. But still...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article2462721.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... t=0&page=1</a>

Fantastic ****ing article.

Viking

Re: "Arsène doesn't coach" & "He's just a good ver. of Redknapp"

I can't believe some people accuse me on making sensationalist headlines, when you take 'Arséne doesn't coach' completely out of context

Adams: Do you think Arsène Wenger could have done what George did? Is he the type of coach who could assemble a back four and work on it like George did?

Winterburn: Probably not. Arsène isn’t like that. He doesn’t really coach in that sense of the word. In many ways, George was the right man in the right place at the right time.

Nice interview though.

The Reddknapp-bit is taken out of context as well ;)

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Really good read - brilliant interaction between them. And, yeah, those quotes are not really all that damning, though I guess it depends on one's view of how it should or could be done. Best to read the thing full through first.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

What a **** headline for the thread. Brilliant article though.

Anzac

Established Member

Brilliant read - you can still feel the comradery between them.

xcdude24

Established Member

First of all, that was an outstanding article. I love when players talk about what happens on the pitch and in training. A few quotes stand out; I've always suspect that this was the case, and Dixon/Bould pretty much confirmed it. I hate to turn this into a discussion about what's going on at arsenal right now, but I will anyways.

Dixon: There’s one story that I always tell when it comes to trying to sum up Arsène. It was one of his first games in charge and he came into the dressing room at half-time — I don’t know what the score was, but we hadn’t played well — and he didn’t say anything, just went to the chalk board and drew a couple of crosses and an arrow. Just as we were about to go out for the second half he pointed to the board and said, “You do this, you do this”, before clapping his hands, shouting “Come on!” and walking out. We all looked at each other in amazement. We ended up winning 3-1 and Arsène came in after and said: “Yes, I told you!” To me, that sums him up as a manager on a matchday. He has never, ever said anything to me at half-time or full-time that’s made me think, “Blimey, this bloke knows his stuff”. He hasn’t had to. He gets results in other ways.

You just can't do that with kids. Kids don't know the ins and the outs of the game like Arsenal's line did back when he started. The reason his coaching worked between 96-04 was because there was a mixture of youth and experience- the guys who had been around the block knew what to do, and the kids would ride the coattails of that. Now that the average age of the squad is 22 or something, there's nowhere to look, and there's no experience professionals running the show on the pitch.

Dixon: Here’s a question. If you had one year left of your career, who would you rather play for — Arsène or George? Personally, if I wanted someone to teach me my job, to coach me on the training ground, I’d go for George all day long because Arsène doesn’t do that. But if I could pick someone to play for during my last season I’d go for Arsène every time.

Thought this was an interesting point because Wenger is so well-known for developing young players. Not really sure how I feel about it, so i'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

Bould: So what’s the definition of learning? Because Wenger has totally different ideas from most people. He doesn’t put on a training session and go: “No, stop. You go there, you go there and you go there.” He doesn’t do that. He lets a session run and run and when things go wrong he waits to see if you can work it out for yourself. If you can do that, he’ll be happy.

again, I just don't know how well this can work with a bunch of youth on the first team. There needs to be a balance. Wenger can't run a youth experiment like this.

Anzac

Established Member

xcdude24 said:
First of all, that was an outstanding article. I love when players talk about what happens on the pitch and in training. A few quotes stand out; I've always suspect that this was the case, and Dixon/Bould pretty much confirmed it. I hate to turn this into a discussion about what's going on at arsenal right now, but I will anyways.

Dixon: There’s one story that I always tell when it comes to trying to sum up Arsène. It was one of his first games in charge and he came into the dressing room at half-time — I don’t know what the score was, but we hadn’t played well — and he didn’t say anything, just went to the chalk board and drew a couple of crosses and an arrow. Just as we were about to go out for the second half he pointed to the board and said, “You do this, you do this”, before clapping his hands, shouting “Come on!” and walking out. We all looked at each other in amazement. We ended up winning 3-1 and Arsène came in after and said: “Yes, I told you!” To me, that sums him up as a manager on a matchday. He has never, ever said anything to me at half-time or full-time that’s made me think, “Blimey, this bloke knows his stuff”. He hasn’t had to. He gets results in other ways.

You just can't do that with kids. Kids don't know the ins and the outs of the game like Arsenal's line did back when he started. The reason his coaching worked between 96-04 was because there was a mixture of youth and experience- the guys who had been around the block knew what to do, and the kids would ride the coattails of that. Now that the average age of the squad is 22 or something, there's nowhere to look, and there's no experience professionals running the show on the pitch.

Dixon: Here’s a question. If you had one year left of your career, who would you rather play for — Arsène or George? Personally, if I wanted someone to teach me my job, to coach me on the training ground, I’d go for George all day long because Arsène doesn’t do that. But if I could pick someone to play for during my last season I’d go for Arsène every time.

Thought this was an interesting point because Wenger is so well-known for developing young players. Not really sure how I feel about it, so i'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

Bould: So what’s the definition of learning? Because Wenger has totally different ideas from most people. He doesn’t put on a training session and go: “No, stop. You go there, you go there and you go there.” He doesn’t do that. He lets a session run and run and when things go wrong he waits to see if you can work it out for yourself. If you can do that, he’ll be happy.

again, I just don't know how well this can work with a bunch of youth on the first team. There needs to be a balance. Wenger can't run a youth experiment like this.

BINGO!!!!!!

I''ve just mentioned these same points in the poll thread.

hackajack

Established Member

xcdude24 said:
I think the point is that he did that with Dixon, Bould & co. he knew they'd been drilled what he needed to teach them was to build on that and express themselves - which they did. I went to see a training day a while back and was amazed at how hands-on Wenger was, he spent nearly the whole time talking to Traore (I think it was) across differnt practices and drills.

Anzac

Established Member

hackajack said:
xcdude24 said:
I think the point is that he did that with Dixon, Bould & co. he knew they'd been drilled what he needed to teach them was to build on that and express themselves - which they did. I went to see a training day a while back and was amazed at how hands-on Wenger was, he spent nearly the whole time talking to Traore (I think it was) across differnt practices and drills.

Fair call - what about the Seniors / 1st team??????

Feet

From The Sunday Times
September 16, 2007

Just saying, this is a very old article. It's worth pointing out cause some people might think it's recent when it isn't. The opinions expressed are almost two years old.

Still a good article and it's good others can see it. :)

kamikaze80

Established Member

i remember reading this a while back.. fantastic article

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot

Nice read.

Buck up, Arsène!!!

Nela

Established Member

hackajack said:
xcdude24 said:
I've heard(can't remember where from) that Wenger is rare in that he is one of the few managers that conducts the day to day training himself, rather than having an assistant do it.

DOUBLE-YOU

hackajack said:
xcdude24 said:

I was going to say the same thing. i remember seeing that too. I also remember Keown saying, in training sessions Wenger would replicate match scenarios for players to work out how to deal with them.
In saying that i do recall Walcott saying the team rarely practice drills. This probably explains why defensively we are not the best. However you can't go so far with "average" players without the coach doing something right.
The way i see it, Graham trained the players to be robots and Arsène is training the players to think for themselves.

KY

Established Member

Regardless of how he trains, this is a man who's won the most trophies for out club and changed the face of Arsenal FC. He must be doing SomETHING right...

Anzac

Established Member

KY said:
Regardless of how he trains, this is a man who's won the most trophies for out club and changed the face of Arsenal FC. He must be doing SomETHING right...

He DID something right when he got here & we were in the top 2 domestically while we were at Highbury - since then we've dropped plain & simple.

We are The Arsenal & we ARE better than all bar the top3, as we have been these past 4 seasons, but we aren't getting any closer to the cream of the crop and the chasing pack are closing.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

read this before already.I thought it was a new article.

sabret00the

Established Member

Nela said:
hackajack said:
xcdude24 said:
I've heard(can't remember where from) that Wenger is rare in that he is one of the few managers that conducts the day to day training himself, rather than having an assistant do it.
How contradictory to that to the time when Robin was dropped for doing tricks in his own half and only when he figured it out on his own thanks to watching pires and told wenger what he figured out via the papers that he got more minutes. there's no evidence to say wenger has changed. you can't have it both ways, either he says "go out there and express yourself" or he gives strict instructions, the evidence points to the former.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member

Focusing on the article, its simply a fantastic read and such an insight. There probably wont be another Back 4 like it, the guys give the best reason for that being Squad rotations and needing 4 men of equaly high intellegence. Nowadays it seems to be more about Technique and how big your Earphones are for your iPod.

Its the defence our club had for my very first memories of Arsenal, and it a brilliant case of how good you can be. If the Invincible team is the bench mark by which we judge all and future teams, then its Winterburn, Adams, Bould (Keown) & Dixon by which we are entitled to scrutanise any future defences. It never suprises me when someone here says either/all of them should come back as a Defence coach, they was that good.

banduan

Established Member

Daily Mail style headlines for our A-M threads now eh?

Top Bottom