• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène: Lehmann is buy of the year

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
WENGER: LEHMANN IS BUY OF THE YEAR

By John Cross

ARSENAL boss Arsène Wenger last night hailed German keeper Jens Lehmann as one of his greatest signings.

Wenger was faced with a daunting task of having to replace Highbury legend David Seaman on a shoestring budget, as Arsenal's finances were stretched to the limit by their new £400million Ashburton Grove stadium project.

But Lehmann, 33, has proved to be an inspirational Wenger signing after joining Arsenal for a bargain £1.5m from Borussia Dortmund in the summer.

German international Lehmann has played a major part in Arsenal's unbeaten Premiership start and his stop from Kevin Nolan at Bolton last Saturday will go down as one of the saves of the season.

Wenger is now convinced Lehmann can go on to prove himself as one of the best signings in the Premiership this season - even though he is up against all of Chelsea and Manchester United's multi-million pound purchases.

Credit

"I respect him a lot because he's a 100 per cent winner," said Wenger. "He comes in every day and gives 100 per cent and every day he wants to improve.

"He has similarities to David Seaman in that he is very strong mentally, but it was very difficult to replace someone like David and Jens has done very well. He deserves huge credit for different reasons. He had to replace David Seaman. I looked at a lot of keepers and thought that would be too much for a young keeper.

"Secondly, he has been remarkably consistent in the Premiership. He has had one or two difficult games in the Champions League, but has come back very quickly and turned the corner."

It was still a gamble for Wenger as Lehmann had endured a nightmare at AC Milan and had been branded a failure as he was dumped by the Italian giants after just five games.

Lehmann was also regarded as a hot-head because of his appalling disciplinary record and he had fallen out of favour at Dortmund because his big-mouth outbursts had earned him a reputation as a troublemaker.

But Wenger believed such problems would only help inspire Lehmann, who is battling with Bayern Munich legend Oliver Kahn to be Germany's number one at the Euro 2004 finals.

Lehmann has also become popular with his new team-mates after making an emotional speech following the Gunners' 5-1 win at Inter Milan last month when, despite being part of Germany's World Cup squad last year, insisted he had never known a team spirit as strong as Arsenal's.

Wenger said: "When I first spoke to Jens I knew he had ambition. He had a bad experience and is a very proud guy who wanted to go again and came here to win trophies.

"I regarded him as someone who was coming here for their best years. He's 33, older now and wiser so maybe that explains his temperament. He is calm but when he says something the players take notice because he has their respect.

"It was a special moment when Jens got up and spoke in the dressing room. He realises there is a special spirit here."

Lehmann faces bottom-of-the-table Wolves today as Arsenal look to extend their winning run and also try to reclaim top spot in the three-way title battle with Manchester United and Chelsea.

And Wenger last night taunted Chelsea by insisting Arsenal can win the Premiership title without spending another penny in the transfer market.

"I have got a player in mind but I don't think it will be this season and so I'm not in the market" added Wenger.

Source: The Mirror

Interesting last paragraph but Wenger says something different each week.

johe

I like Jens, he's a good goalkeeper and he's got attitude, which is good in small amounts :mrgreen:

SydneyGunnerFan

yeah hes one of the top keepers in the premier league i reacon and he is always there saying something postive to his players when they do something wrong that what i really like about him

johe

SydneyGunnerFan said:
yeah hes one of the top keepers in the premier league i reacon and he is always there saying something postive to his players when they do something wrong that what i really like about him

Really? :eek:ops: I was thinking he was kind who yells at his defenders when they do something wrong :)

SydneyGunnerFan

he probably does do that aswell but like when he gets off the pitch and stuff he is talling them what they did wrong and stuff like that

A

Anonymous

good so far, however i leave my judgement on him at the end of the season.

arsenal4life

slapz said:
I hate to be awkward but isnt he our ONLY buy this year?

I want to say the SAME word

of coourse we bought Clichey and Sendros and Karabasyon

but these all are youngsters

Lehmann is our only buy this year

reggiepaul

I preferred Rustu when all the rumours were rampant about him and Arsenal but Lehmann is Rustu but so much more. I wanted a crazy keeper basically after Seaman hardly ever did the twist.

About time we asked Lehmann to do the twist.

eeeeting

For the years I have watched Arsenal, it was David Seaman who standed between the posts.So I feel Seaman was just part of the team, inseperatable. When time came that he had to leave, I found it really hard to accept another guy taking Seaman's place,whoever he is. However, after all those rumors and guesses, Lehmann came and, in a low-profile. His words after the win, his sorrow after the lost, made me gradually less and less miss Seaman...

Andrew

I was all for Lehmann's arrival. I knew he Seaman was past his best. And who better to get a World Class goalkeeper, who was very highly rated in Germany, who talks to the defence and collects lose balls? For only 1 or 2 million pounds? Another great effort buy Wenger and the club.

rachael-8

lehmann has been fantastic since he arrived.i was glad when i heard we were signing him but i was a bit concered about his temper
in the games hes played in in the pl and cl(23 in total excluding the community shield) he has conceded 18 goals(1 of which an own goal by lauren which he could do nothing about) which i think is a pretty decent record.
the past few games he has been on top top form,making out standing save against bolton and catching alot of the crosses against blackburn and fulham
he has realy sorted our defence out i feel confident with him in goal
well done mad jens

jeremiesgirl

I think Lehmann has done a great job for us, better than I expected so he deserves the praise he gets. I am not keen on him personally though, reading the recent article in the arsenal mag didnt help much, dont know why! But forget his personality, on the pitch hes definitely a good'un :)

Top Bottom