• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène to buy Big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

JazzG said:
I rate smith but think there are better options around. I don't know how much Wenger has to spend though. If he has £20mill then Reyes or VdV, if he has £5mill then it would have to be Smith.

But I think the whole point is we need someone for the CL. That rules out Van Der Vaart, and we would have never got him either. And if we get Reyes I would feel like we are Real Madrid or something. Until at least after the stadium is built, we won't be able to compete with the big clubs for any established stars, which Reyes now classifies as.

Adam

Established Member
The only way i envisage the signing of a second striker is if we sign a great player from an average club (i.e. Sevilla), a youngster takes the throne, or Wenger signs a potential world class unknown. Wenger however, hasn't ruled out the option of signing a cup tied player.

JGooner

presuming our budget is around £10m, then Smith would be my choice. If we went for Eto'o or Reyes, we would be blowing the whole budget on a single player, whereas buying Smith would leave room for other signings in other positions. Remember, we'll have to buy a centre back when Keown retires because three (campbell, toure, senderos) is not enough for a season, especially when one of them is 18.

Smith needs to be at a top club to flourish.

A

Anonymous

I dont know why so many people like Smith. Imo he doesnt have the skill, technique or pace to play in our team, and he is also a nasty little sh*t. He wont want to leave Leeds either when there is still a chance they will stay up.

I dont think Wenger is the type of manager to sign a player that he doesnt 100% want. Our options in the January window are restricted and i dont think Wenger will buy for the sake of it.

A

Anonymous

don't have your hopes high.

we are talking about Wenger here . He will never buy someone big. Probably some stupid useless player

A.Hussain

smith is the most likely option. leeds might just let go of him if we make a good offer, and i think it will be pennant + dough or pennant +volz....

johe

JGooner said:
...we'll have to buy a centre back when Keown retires because three (campbell, toure, senderos) is not enough for a season, especially when one of them is 18.

what about the "Cyganantor" :lol:

JGooner

sol - people rate Smith because he is an excellent player who, if he goes to the right club, will improve further. he may not be extremely quick, but we have enough pace in the team as it is. there is a danger of basing the team entirely around speed, ignoring other qualities ( a warning that bob wilson makes in his new book).

As for skill and technique, I don't know how Smith's quality can be doubted. Sure, he doesn't indulge in pointless trickery for its own sake, but that's a good thing. He possesses excellent technique. His close control, distribution, dribbling, and finishing is better than any English striker apart from Rooney on one of his increasingly rare good days. He is also remarkably good at holding up the ball, given that he is not a big and powerful centre forward like Viduka.

He is a hot head on the pitch, but not a trouble maker off it. He is extremely professional with regard to training, diet, personal habits, etc - which is what Wenger is ultimately concerned with.

Arsenal316

johe said:
JGooner said:
...we'll have to buy a centre back when Keown retires because three (campbell, toure, senderos) is not enough for a season, especially when one of them is 18.

what about the "Cyganantor" :lol:

He hates Cygan. He has never liked him. And if you need proof, I can easily back it up. :p

As for the question at hand, Wenger will go for Smith. He would be the perfect fit. He has the experience, inexpensive, and is eligible to play in the CL this year. If Leeds are put into administration, I'm sure he'll be heading over in this direction. :p

Andrew

Sol said:
I dont know why so many people like Smith. Imo he doesnt have the skill, technique or pace to play in our team, and he is also a nasty little sh*t. He wont want to leave Leeds either when there is still a chance they will stay up.

I dont think Wenger is the type of manager to sign a player that he doesnt 100% want. Our options in the January window are restricted and i dont think Wenger will buy for the sake of it.

I kind of agree with you here. I don't see much in Smith. He has a good work rate so he might get somewhere. But he hasn't progressed all that well and it would be unlikely that he would leave Leeds... he would be one of the last to leave probably. But if we do buy him then Wenger must see something in him.

bigbadsol

I totally agree with you Andrew. I've seen Leeds loads of times and personally I think Smith is really over rated. He's a decent player but he definately isnt better than the players we already have at Highbury. I know he doesnt play up front as such but in the last 3 seasons his goal scoring record has been very poor nad what Arsenal needs is a proven goal scorer to play alongside Henry.

I know Viduka has a bad reputation but based on purely footballing ability he is far superior to Smith. He is as strong as they come, he has amazing feet, his heading ability is great and he can score tap ins and goals out of nothing, as he did yesterday. Viduka and Henry as a partnership i reckon would be formidable, however this would all depend on Vidukas attitude.

Anders Limpar

IMO it would bee a much better buy if we're able to sign Viduka rather than Smith. Mind you all I don't say he's being poor just that Viduka is superior to him!

I wonder if Wenger has something up his sleave, there is no rumours about Djibril Cissé joining Pool in january, maybe Wenger has presuaded him to come to Highbury. Him and Mexes for £10M would be an awesome reinforcement...

...who knows!! ;D

Anders Limpar

You would love this **** :lol: :lol:

Hasn't Mexes contract expireed? I though that was the outcome of the fuss between him and Auxerre earlier this year, that he'd be free from new year. Anyway, that could be me smoking to much :eek:ops:

kajej

I was watching Ronaldo and Zidane's game yesterday..and even though its not a competitive game Rubinho was really impressive. His style is very similar to Ronaldo's and he would fit in prefectly to the type of player we need.. I dont know much about him.. but he couldnt cost a fortune...Can anyone tell me more about him please..(what club he plays for, his performances, probable cost)

johe

kajej said:
I was watching Ronaldo and Zidane's game yesterday..and even though its not a competitive game Rubinho was really impressive. His style is very similar to Ronaldo's and he would fit in prefectly to the type of player we need.. I dont know much about him.. but he couldnt cost a fortune...Can anyone tell me more about him please..(what club he plays for, his performances, probable cost)

Are you sure thats Rubinho and not Robinho? Cos Rubinho is a goalkeeper (very good) in Corinthians and Robinho in Santos, but I dont know if hes an out and out striker or forward. All I know is he scored 10 goals in 30 league appearances for Santos in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom