• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: 20 Years and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
The full interview with Titi. Apologies If it's already been posted.

The best part is when Titi asks the Boss about his stats. He gets them all wrong, but his reaction when he's told about the player he's most used, the player he's most subbed and of course the team we scored the most goals against...is absolute gem.

Last edited:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
That's my point @Tir Na Nog

If Wenger signs an extension next week - it will be unjustified IMO. Contract discussions should be held until after the season.
I think he'll do that anyway but it won't be unjustified - maybe from some fans POV (understandable) but the more that I get a feel for what he has achieved at the club and steered the club through choppy waters in the manner he has - it's probably justified either way.

He'll look himself in the mirror and ask whether he is up to the job & that will happen at the end of the season anyway. If he wins big, then expect a renewal, if not then it's really up in the air.

carlito'sway

Established Member

If Wenger signs an extension next week - it will be unjustified IMO. Contract discussions should be held until after the season.

I fail to see why would it would be unjustified. We are talking about a manager whose team finished second last season and in the running this one.
In addition, this is a pretty destabilizing situation, the club can not wait until the end of the seaosn to find out if the manager will stay or leave this coming summer.
That would just be criminal negligence for a club of this stature. One can also bet that the Özil, Sanchez, Santi and others will need to know who will manage the team the next couple of seasons before agreeing to any extension. This situation has to be solved and concluded soon.

Last edited:

Doom

Is unjustified though?

At the risk of misquoting you, your argument is that in 3 years (since the money came in) Wenger should have built a title winning side.

Whether Wenger is good or bad at his job is how realistic that target is.

Let's look at analogous situations where clubs in the premier league got an unexpected financial boost.

Chelsea bought in 2003, won the league in 2005 gap 2 seasons.

Liverpool bought (first time) in 2007, have yet to win the premier league.

Man City bought (first time) in 2007, won the league in 2012, a gap of 5 seasons.

So on the face of it, Arsenal could have matched Chelsea and been competing for the league two seasons ago (when we came 3rd).

However, the PL was a very different competition in 2005 with only two serious clubs, Man Utd and Arsenal, in competition with Chelsea and Abramovich's spending was unprecedented and unfettered. So I think a two season rebuild of Arsenal is too big an ask.

What about Man City's 5 year wait for their first PL. For a start Wenger is in year 4 but more importantly in that period Man City had (and have) unlimited budgets, no FFP worries, and a top teir rival that they cut parasitically destroy to invigorate themselves.

While a 5 year rebuild looks possible Man City did have a lot of advantages that Wenger did not.

Liverpool bought twice and still no title despite leeching not one but three billionaires dry. Which goes to show that winning the PL isn't easy.

Where does that leave us on Wenger?

I think in year 4 of a total squad rebuild we're in excellent shape, haven't had a catastrophic buy and the squad looks balanced and very competitive.

That's pretty good in my book and would justify a new contract.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I fail to see why would it would be unjustified. We are talking about a manager whose team finished second last season and in the running this one.
In addition, this is a pretty destabilizing situation, the club can not wait until the end of the seaosn to find out if the manager will stay or leave this coming summer.
That would just be criminal negligence for a club of this stature. One can also bet that the Özil, Sanchez, Santi and others will need to know who will manage the team the next couple of seasons before agreeing to any extension. This situation has to be solved and concluded soon.

Criminal negligence is not buying an outfield player, or starting the season with one recognised CB :lol:;)

Second place? Come on now, you're smarter than that, we finished second but with an even lower points total than last season and still ended up 10 points behind the champions - that is NOT progress.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Criminal negligence is not buying an outfield player, or starting the season with one recognised CB :lol:;)

Second place? Come on now, you're smarter than that, we finished second but with an even lower points total than last season and still ended up 10 points behind the champions - that is NOT progress.

Did we finish the season second, yes or no? Comparing the total pts with previous seasons are totally irrelevant from that standpoint....
How do you measure your so called "progress"? ranking at the end of the season or points?
So I guess, based on your "logic" let's assume we win the title with 70 pts, less than what we reached last season, it is not progress then. ;)

Last edited:

Why do people always try to make out like this matter?

It doesn't matter at all.

2nd is progress from 3rd. Our squad is getting better and more mature with each season. It has been a slow build up but hopefully we can do something with it this year.

Doom

2nd is progress from 3rd. Our squad is getting better and more mature with each season. It has been a slow build up but hopefully we can do something with it this year.

Apropos of nothing hydrofluroic, there was a lass on my bus today with the same hair colours as your avatar has.

Made me think of you and your abundant good sense :eek:

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It matters in the context of where the champions finish - how is that so hard to grasp?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Is unjustified though?

At the risk of misquoting you, your argument is that in 3 years (since the money came in) Wenger should have built a title winning side.

Whether Wenger is good or bad at his job is how realistic that target is.

Let's look at analogous situations where clubs in the premier league got an unexpected financial boost.

Chelsea bought in 2003, won the league in 2005 gap 2 seasons.

Liverpool bought (first time) in 2007, have yet to win the premier league.

Man City bought (first time) in 2007, won the league in 2012, a gap of 5 seasons.

So on the face of it, Arsenal could have matched Chelsea and been competing for the league two seasons ago (when we came 3rd).

However, the PL was a very different competition in 2005 with only two serious clubs, Man Utd and Arsenal, in competition with Chelsea and Abramovich's spending was unprecedented and unfettered. So I think a two season rebuild of Arsenal is too big an ask.

What about Man City's 5 year wait for their first PL. For a start Wenger is in year 4 but more importantly in that period Man City had (and have) unlimited budgets, no FFP worries, and a top teir rival that they cut parasitically destroy to invigorate themselves.

While a 5 year rebuild looks possible Man City did have a lot of advantages that Wenger did not.

Liverpool bought twice and still no title despite leeching not one but three billionaires dry. Which goes to show that winning the PL isn't easy.

Where does that leave us on Wenger?

I think in year 4 of a total squad rebuild we're in excellent shape, haven't had a catastrophic buy and the squad looks balanced and very competitive.

That's pretty good in my book and would justify a new contract.
Great post but some Arsenal fans have reached the state where a 'sense of entitlement' transcends all logic and argument.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Does. Not. Matter.....That is simple. Nobody cares about the champion's points total....The only thing that matter is that they are champs.
PS. Just for the record.... The champion finish first....;)

Comprehension is your friend my dear sir :)

It matters because it's a benchmark of relative performance. Using only league position is shallow analysis at best, at worst, lazy.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Comprehension is your friend my dear sir :)

It matters because it's a benchmark of relative performance. Using only league position is shallow analysis at best, at worst, lazy.

Don't try too hard at sarcasm mate....You are not very good at it.
Anyway, it is a pointless discussion.

Last edited:

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Ffs give it a rest. The team are doing really well and we're all enjoying the 20th celebrations.

There'll be plenty of opportunity to wheel out this 'embarrassing Arsenal' drivel when we lose our next match.

So touchy :lol:

For the record, I'm loving our new form, I'm almost quietly optimistic that things could be different this year - there's still a long way to go!

Godwin1

Very well-known
If winning his 6th FA Cup (the most FA Cup wins in football history for one manager) and then runner up in the most difficult league in the world, are his two worst seasons . . . I'd say your opinion of Wenger is even higher than mine. Respect for that post mate :eek:
I see what you're trying to do but no they were terrible seasons, Chelsea walked away with it having only played half a season of decent football and then the one season where all our rivals shat the bed we were beaten to the title by Leicester.

The seasons were **** by any stretch of the imagination no matter how good 2nd of 92 sounds in your mind. No coincidence that the morale of match going fans has taken a nose dive in the past two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom