• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBoy19

Backing? What backing? The club took advantage of his abilities to run the finances as cheaply as they could. Then when things started to go south they gave into fan backlash and sacked him despite only missing UCL in 19 out of 20 years. If I were him I would be incensed.

His targets were really low, to be fair board weren't prepared to sack him this season. It was the toxic environment from fans and empty seats which forced them to rush for the descision. AW was managing the expectations of the board but not of the fans.

Jaila

Wenger will have to take a step down if he plans to manage again. Can't see him managing any one of the top clubs like PSG, Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, etc. Maybe one of the Milans I guess.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger will have to take a step down if he plans to manage again. Can't see him managing any one of the top clubs like PSG, Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, etc. Maybe one of the Milans I guess.
He will try to get a CL medal. That is the only item missing.

I doubt any of the Milan clubs would ask him to win the Scudetto, let alone the CL.

He could manage Barca, easily bigger than Valverde.

He could manage Madrid if he wanted. He's a bigger and more experienced manager than Zidane.

He could walk into PSG, easily bigger than Emery.

Make no mistake. He is still one of the elite managers.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

"

Interesting Amy and Auclair don't think so .
I can see why they've said that as what he said is open to interpretation. That is the issue when talking in riddles. He could have actively said the fans did not give the image of unity and I as manager have to accept my part in that as we didn't always deliver the results they expected. But he stopped and later back tracked. And the back tracking gives scope to say well he wasn't having a go.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
I can see why they've said that as what he said is open to interpretation. That is the issue when talking in riddles. He could have actively said the fans did not give the image of unity and I as manager have to accept my part in that as we didn't always deliver the results they expected. But he stopped and later back tracked. And the back tracking gives scope to say well he wasn't having a go.

That's basically what he said though:

“I just feel that if my personality is in the way of what I think our club is, for me that is more important than me. That’s what I say. It has nothing to do with the fans. Our fans were not happy. I can understand that.

I read this is as him accepting his part in that and also admits he understands why the fans were not happy..

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

That's basically what he said though:

I read this is as him accepting his part in that and also admits he understands why the fans were not happy..
See above where I mention him speaking in riddles. Why are the fans not happy? At least acknowledge it explicitly. Which is why we're having this conversation.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This irritates me too. I don't live in London but not a million miles away either. What these types don't seem to grasp is it's not just the dreadful ticket prices you're only paying for. You have maybe kids, petrol/train fares/bus fares/ taxis, food and drink, programmes etc. If i were to go to Burnley at home, I'd looking at well over 100 quid. **** that.
Mate the ticket alone cost me £118 once the news came out Wenger was leaving.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Why though?
Because the club needs healing.

Removing Wenger or Wenger leaving (depending on your perspective) squares most of that healing open and honest dialogue closes it off. Otherwise the next guy whoever he is will suffer from the Wenger hangover.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Because the club needs healing.

Removing Wenger or Wenger leaving (depending on your perspective) squares most of that healing open and honest dialogue closes it off. Otherwise the next guy whoever he is will suffer from the Wenger hangover.
Don't usually but on this I have to disagree with you. I am confident healing can be conducted in the wake of current events

say yes

forum master baiter
Interesting info from Arseblog. Literally took the entire board to bring Arsène down :lol:

https://arseblog.com/2018/04/now-th...s-as-a-big-summer-of-work-looms-over-arsenal/
arseblog said:
It becomes more and more clear that this is not a decision he made of his own volition, it was jump or be pushed, and it was inferred to me that Stan Kroenke’s mind was made up when there came an ultimatum from members of the board who told him ‘It’s him or us’.

Some say this happened as far back as a month ago, but my understanding is it was more recent than that. It appears to have gone down in the last week, leading to Friday’s announcement from the manager. However, you can’t have watched his press conference and come away with the idea this was what he wanted.

BobP

Memri Fan
Interesting article altogether , as pointed out Wenger isn't there to shield them anymore . Focus will be fully on Gazidis and the board .

I don't subscribe to this notion of Wenger 'shielding' the board.

Our finances were and are there for everybody to see. It should be perfectly evident to anybody that we are unable to match the spending of City and or United, whilst being able to match Liverpool, Sp**s, and in recent years, Chelsea.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Wenger has had unparalleled control over footballing operations at Arsenal. It's logical that one would hold him responsible for failures in that department. The only thing Wenger could have been unhappy with is the money situation but he stated repeatedly that he considered keeping the club in the top 4, during the years immediately proceeding our move to the, Emirates as a stimulating challenge.

If it's a question of 'helping' him, all you need to do is look at how he reacted at the mere talk of the club hiring a DoF.

With all that in mind I'm not exactly sure what Wenger was shielding the club hierarchy from. If anything keeping him as manager was just a convenient, albeit lazy, way for them to put off the inevitable transition which the club so painfully needed.

KROENKE SUCKS

His targets were really low, to be fair board weren't prepared to sack him this season. It was the toxic environment from fans and empty seats which forced them to rush for the descision. AW was managing the expectations of the board but not of the fans.

Getting top 4 while spending F all isn't a low target by any stretch of the imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom