• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We are nowhere near the level a club needs to be to get a steak.

We either get a potatoes or nothing.
Tbf, roast potatoes can be every bit as satisfying as steak. It's all about how you do them. Super crispy, with garlic and rosemary... Wenger used to be able to cook up a treat with the humble vegetable. Now he manages like one.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

If Mourinho came and parked the bus I'd stop watching even though I'm a third generation supporter.
Mourinho has played better football, scored more goals and conceded less this season. He holds the record in Spain for the highest team goals in a season. When he last won the league his team out scored Wengers and also conceded less. Mourinho parks the bus when he does it is terrible but it's over stated as it is done when necessary which is normally big games with bigger TV audiences. Give me that over 4 nil losses against Liverpool, shipping ten goals against Bayern etc.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Indeed. I'm curious as to what Wenger told the Ox. But yeah a DOF is needed. Wenger says who he wants rid of and what positions he needs filled and that his the end of his involvement.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Indeed. I'm curious as to what Wenger told the Ox. But yeah a DOF is needed. Wenger says who he wants rid of and what positions he needs filled and that his the end of his involvement.

That would never work. For me the DoF would need to be responsible for finding targets laying them out for the manager and saying which different combinations we can afford then pressing the manager to decide.

At the end of the day anyanager is in charge of the tactical approach and so needs to decide which players to sign to enact that tactical approach. Just picking positions is not enough

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
The one certain thing that piece by Ornstein shows that nothing will change under Kroenke as long as we go on having moderate successes

Whereas a couple of seasons of failure on all levels just might see him either sell up or pay up

Curses on Leicester too that gave an owner like Kroenke hope he could have his cake and eat it

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The drop in posts by usual posters is a sign of how depressing the state of things is with this club. We've all lost interest because of (ironically) the man who drew most of us into this. (yes, I know there are plenty of fans who were here before him)

FinnGooner

Established Member
Not sure where is the best place for this.

So the club considers the window a success while admitting:

1) They were forced to sell a player they didin't want to sell
2) They failed to sign a midfielder although they had identified it as a position in need of improvement
3) Few of the players that were considered expendable were successfully offloaded
4) Multiple players that were considered unexpendable voiced their desire to leave the club and were kept despite their motivation to play for the club is doubtful
5) They failed to sign Lemar after coming to the conclusion that they were willing to replace Sanchez with him

So in the end we were left with unhappy Sanchez, unmotivated Özil, want-away Bellerin, non-ideal midfield selection and a plethora of players who refuse to leave the club, probably because they get far more money playing for us than what they're actually worth.

I do agree that if you look only the names going in and out, we did get marginally better but I can't help but think that after all the turbulence, the atmosphere in the dressing room is far from ideal meaning that effectively our competitive level might have significantly dropped. I guess we'll see soon enough

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
DOF is so much needed ww need someone to take control Wenger can't do it all.

Also he should really left last season would be interesting to see what the board will do without him maybe they'll be forced to do something new.

Preacher

Always Crying
I still don't completely understand no money argument, which we suddenly heard in the last days of transfer window.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

That would never work. For me the DoF would need to be responsible for finding targets laying them out for the manager and saying which different combinations we can afford then pressing the manager to decide.

At the end of the day anyanager is in charge of the tactical approach and so needs to decide which players to sign to enact that tactical approach. Just picking positions is not enough
I had a similar idea that the manager identify the targets then the Dof works within that list to do what they can. I've opted against it because I feel we would still see the same problem. Wenger would identify similar players and we will be stuck in this vicious circle again. And I see the same issues with what you say as well. Wenger would select players he prefers which results in the vicious circle. Having a DOF identify the players after the manager has identifed the position works best simply because we'd hopefully end up with a variety of players that can be moulded into Wenger ball.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

I still don't completely understand no money argument, which we suddenly heard in the last days of transfer window.

The money Arsenal was being quoted for top signings was more than we had. For example 90m for Lemar as a bench mark. We could only do that if Sanchez was leaving. Pointing towards us having about £30m plus wages. That doesn't even get you Jonny Evans these days it seems

Emmanueleboue2

So the club considers the window a success while admitting:

1) They were forced to sell a player they didin't want to sell
2) They failed to sign a midfielder although they had identified it as a position in need of improvement
3) Few of the players that were considered expendable were successfully offloaded
4) Multiple players that were considered unexpendable voiced their desire to leave the club and were kept despite their motivation to play for the club is doubtful
5) They failed to sign Lemar after coming to the conclusion that they were willing to replace Sanchez with him

So in the end we were left with unhappy Sanchez, unmotivated Özil, want-away Bellerin, non-ideal midfield selection and a plethora of players who refuse to leave the club, probably because they get far more money playing for us than what they're actually worth.

I do agree that if you look only the names going in and out, we did get marginally better but I can't help but think that after all the turbulence, the atmosphere in the dressing room is far from ideal meaning that effectively our competitive level might have significantly dropped. I guess we'll see soon enough

I swear that people in any job would be fired for this, but they consider this success?

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
We are really becoming a laughing stock. I listen to Fighting Talk on a Saturday morning on 5 live, one of the question rounds was to say the most negative thing about Arsenal! Somebody said, I wanted to use Arsenal defence as my password; a message came back that it was too weak. This is what we have become!!!!

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Yeah I don't know if Ornstein is really that naive (doubt it) or just syas what Arsenal want him to see but some of that was BS

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Jesus Christ there's so much depressing rubbish in that by Ornstein.

Remember when we used to compare ourselves to Bayern? Now:

"The club point to the example of Leicester"

Also:
"Kroenke is desperate and hungrier than ever for success" :lol:
Taking inspiration from Leicester wouldn't be such a bad thing if we were actually doing anything like what Leicester did. Leicester had a strong first XI with players who believed in the manager and carried out his instructions on the pitch to the T. Wenger doesn't have any instructions on the pitch. He doesn't have a strong first XI and players don't believe in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom