Arsène Wenger: Same Old Excuses

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by redwhiteAustrian, May 31, 2017.

?

Is Wenger still the right man for the job?

1. Yes

10.5%
  2. No

89.5%
  1. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne is Temporary, Squad Cost is Forever Trusted

Spot on, when Kroenke sells or Josh grows a pair of balls, or we happen on a Harry Kane, then we might win the league.

2. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Do you think he should stay then?

Do you really think a bit of stick from a couple of people on the Internet is doing permanent damage to Wengers legacy?

I don’t like caviar.

3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

But it isn't just a couple of people. The internet has a very powerful effect on people. Over the past five years the animosity towards Wenger as a human being has been absolutely disgusting. And it starts in places like this.

Toby Andrl and Makingtrax like this.
  4. Makingtrax

When he leaves there'll be a movie about it. They'll just lift the script from the Salem Witch Hunt.

Mark Tobias likes this.
  5. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

AMs resident fence-sitter seems to have finally grown a pair and taken a stance.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Sammy1887 likes this.
  6. Makingtrax

Elite.

7. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Every high profile person gets abuse. In football doubly so. Wengers overcome far more sickening real-world abuse than this. Water off a ducks back.

Social media is still in its infancy. People don’t have a clear idea of accountability when they type comments at their computer. This will sort itself out eventually. At the moment people don’t even really mean half the stuff they say.

If someone online says “I hope Wenger catches <insert fatal disease>” do you think they would say that to his face if they saw him in a resturant? They’d probably ask for a selfie in all reality.

[​IMG]

8. Makingtrax

Hiding behind your keyboard is a sad place to be in my view.

9. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

I'm neither pro nor anti Wenger.

I'm all for respect for the man. Always.

10. SA Gunner

Wenger needs to go, he needed to go when we won the first FA Cup again in 2014.

We could have rebuilt our squad by now and been back at the big table.

11. Preacher

Preacher Twitter Bot

It's from old interview, but Vieira gives very similar view about Wenger's philosophy.

12. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

You say this:

And then you say this:

I'm not sure where we diverge from one another..

13. Preacher

Preacher Twitter Bot

'I said no to all the biggest clubs in the world' is the new 'I nearly signed':drool:

14. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Unsinkable !

While I think change can be good and necessary in order to push on I just don't see us do the right thing and appoint Arteta. We will appoint some decent manager like Low or Ancelotti but they are just more of a Wenger. Nothing exciting about it.

15. SA Gunner

There are ways of saying things mate.

You can say he should go.

And then you can ask the ocean to take him.

Its is very possible to remain respectful to the manager and disagree with his way of doing things.

Mark Tobias and krengon like this.
  16. lamby22

lamby22 Active Member

Agree with you. You just know the Arsenal board are going to play it safe with the manager choice. Someone young, new and exciting would give us a massive lift but we're going to be stuck with Low or Carlo. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  17. Sammy1887

Sammy1887 Well-Known Member

I think nobody in their right mind would wish anything bad for Wenger.

Arsenal fans have been the most patient bunch whichever way you look at it.

Any other big club and things would have gotten worse for him.

SA Gunner likes this.
  18. krengon

krengon Well-Known Member Trusted

You have people who want Wenger out because they don't think he's the right man anymore, he's past his best and not getting the most out of the squad or we just need a change, which is the majority and it's perfectfly fine and logical position.

Then you have the Wenger haters; who wants us to lose, wants us to lose cup finals, wants City to go unbeaten, Spurs/Liverpool to win trophies just because it would reflect badly on Wenger. They also love to blame every single thing on him and downplay our past achievements.

Too many of the last group on this forum and I just can't take them seriously.

Makingtrax, SA Gunner and tap-in like this.
  19. tap-in

tap-in :|

I agree, I have wanted Wenger out for the last 2 or 3 years because I feel he has failed in those years but I want us to win every single game. Any Arsenal fan who genuinely wants us to lose a game has a strange way of showing support for their club.

krengon and Beksl like this.
  20. Beksl

Beksl Well-Known Member

The difference beign this is actually true. He was a hot proprety especially after the Invincibles season. He could have taken the easy way and go manage Real or any other super team at the time. Instead he endorsed our new financial model and put his own ambition second. I’ll be forever grateful that a manager of his statue decided to put the interest of the Club ahead of his own.

Can’t imagine what would have happend if we got some new manager in the time of transition and financial constraints. I guess we’d be watching Europa legaue since 2007...

krengon, El Granit-Coq and Gooner Zig like this.