• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
i think the new contract is ready for Arsène to sign but he is waiting until the end of the season if he win the PL or something else i think he'll sign a new contract if he failed it will be enough is enough for him.

i hope the board are looking for replacement from now so we won't be in trouble and rushing things when Arsène decided to quit at the end of the season

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You're inability to accept criticism of Wenger is just as bad as the eternal pessimists. You won't blow up criticising him just once. We could have won the league by having better cover for Coquelin then Flamini and another striker while Giroud couldn't hit a barndoor. 4 months without your cf scoring is embarrassing. Leicester's final points total was hardly insurmountable.
:lol: I just did criticise him. I said he wasn't good enough to win the league last season. Thought that was clear. :eek:

If you want to side with those who think we're an embarrassment that's up to you. But I definitely don't agree with that. F***ing nonsense.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Of course last season was a failure - we went out of the Cup comps early, and our title challenge collapsed yet again to a degree where we finished behind Leicester ****ing City.
For a club of our stature, that's hideous.
No, don't join in with that sh*te. You're the voice of reason on here. I looked up to you with respect and admiration and now it lies shattered, like a broken iPad, dropped on the pebbles of despair.

That's it, I'm off to kick the f***ing dog.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
No, don't join in with that sh*te. You're the voice of reason on here. I looked up to you with respect and admiration and now it lies shattered, like a broken iPad, dropped on the pebbles of despair.

:lol:

I still love Wenger by the way.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

@Jury he's in your neck of the woods mate , trust you still got your bat ;)

carlito'sway

Established Member
Arsène should get a 2 or 3 yrs deal and in that timeframe the club should plan for the next manager. I still believe that Arsène has what it takes to continue at the highest level and to win trophies.
In addition, we are finally out in the clear financially and have been able to reinforce the club effectively for the first time in the lat 10/ 12 years.
When these new players are citing Wenger as a major pull for joining, when most of our veterans are expressing not just respect and admiration for the man but also their strong belief that he should stay in charge, I have to take that into consideration as well and I fully support their position.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

I must say I've enjoyed all of the 20th anniversary interviews they've done with Arsène. The one with Thierry was obviously really nice and I was surprised to see Gallas in the one they did on the Arsenal Player. Sol and Wrighty of course made sense but I was surprised to see Gallas. He was sort of a c*nt but it's nice that he has such high regard for the gaffer still.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I voted yes, even though I have said that I have lost my belief in his ability to win us trophies. I hope he will prove me wrong. That being said, I have not lost my belief in his abilities in the transfer market. I would argue we strengthened well this window, and given another couple of years, we should have a very very good squad. At the moment I do not see any ready made successor either. On the more sentimental side, how brilliant would it not be, to see him going out with a premier league trophy?

carlito'sway

Established Member
I must say I've enjoyed all of the 20th anniversary interviews they've done with Arsène. The one with Thierry was obviously really nice and I was surprised to see Gallas in the one they did on the Arsenal Player. Sol and Wrighty of course made sense but I was surprised to see Gallas. He was sort of a c*nt but it's nice that he has such high regard for the gaffer still.

Actually, William Gallas was indeed a bit of a weird character at Arsenal and in general. However, I have been watching him lately on TV, a weekday French TV show called Le Vestiaire (Locker room) on SFR TV. He is there generally with Petit, Dugarry and LeBoeuf, in a locker room settings, sharing experiences, anecdotes and stories with a variety of guests as well. I have found him really insightful, funny and charming in general. Totally different than the image he projected during his career particularly at Arsenal. He also acknowledge he was a bit of a hothead then and not easy to deal with. He has the utmost respect for Arsène and Arsenal too.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I voted yes, even though I have said that I have lost my belief in his ability to win us trophies. I hope he will prove me wrong. That being said, I have not lost my belief in his abilities in the transfer market. I would argue we strengthened well this window, and given another couple of years, we should have a very very good squad. At the moment I do not see any ready made successor either. On the more sentimental side, how brilliant would it not be, to see him going out with a premier league trophy?

We need a bit of luck with injuries .

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I've gone for undecided for the following reasons.
  • We've just had the best window for years
  • I want to see how this season goes
  • Players past and present clearly have a lot of respect for him, that is something money cant buy, as Utd are finding out.
Basically if we win the PL this season I would be happy if Wenger called it a day and went out on a high. Equally if we do win it he will have proved he still has it in him, so if he wanted another 2 years I would be happy with that too.

I know Gazidis said this week re Wenger's future he wants the club and Wenger to be on the same page. I think the reality is that the club will be on whatever page Wenger wants them on, if he wants to stay or go, they will agree.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

If we have yet another collapse this season, where do we collectively draw the line and just say Arsène doesn't have what it takes to take this group to the next level?

There's no shame in that. What's the point of another 3 years if it's clear as day that the manager doesn't have what it takes to take the group from also-rans to contenders?

IMO the evidence has been there for years, you'd think after a decade we'd have fluked a few title challenges. At least our football performances have been energised - let's see where we can go this season. That's the main thrust of my post - this season will tell us truly what AW has got left in his locker.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
I agree that a succession plan would be ideal but is it really that necessary? When he leaves - the next manager will have a tough task and is unlikely to be able to keep Arsenal at their level. But there will be a very good manager somewhere to give the best chance of that happening. Surely Everton would have a fight on their hands to keep Koeman if he was the target? The top grade targets like Klopp, Pep etc might need to be the second manager post-Wenger, to give them a chance to work after a manager who isn't a club legend.

Overall though,Wenger has been gradually improving the squad for just over 3 years now. There is no sign to me that he can't continue that work for a few more years, but signing Alexis will be crucial for that. It is increasingly rare to have managers staying for long periods so Arsenal need to make the most of this while it lasts and not worry too much about who comes after. I'm assuming that Arsenal will be following the typical 3-4 year manager cycles at least for a while post-Wenger.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

If we have yet another collapse this season, where do we collectively draw the line and just say Arsène doesn't have what it takes to take this group to the next level?

There's no shame in that. What's the point of another 3 years if it's clear as day that the manager doesn't have what it takes to take the group from also-rans to contenders?

IMO the evidence has been there for years, you'd think after a decade we'd have fluked a few title challenges. At least our football performances have been energised - let's see where we can go this season. That's the main thrust of my post - this season will tell us truly what AW has got left in his locker.
You're right the evidence has been there for years. Wenger has delivered a top 4 finish for twenty years and has never had a collapse in any season to my knowledge. He lost 7 games out of 38 last season and came second. Is that a collapse? You're constantly misusing words to make your argument.

Nobody minds fair criticism. Don't even mind if you say you don't think he's good enough to win the league anymore. But 'collapse' and 'clusterf***' are pure hype and quite frankly is a clusterf*** of an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom